New (Rage) AIW Pro PCI - TV Tuner?

EMTEMT Seattle, WA Icrontian
edited September 2006 in Hardware
Hey guys. I just got done with a LAN party and I beat all the guys from school at the UT tourney. My prize was an ATI All-In-Wonder Pro PCI, which is some old video card it seems. Anyway I'm interested in using it as a TV tuner but really I have no clue where to start.

I run Windows 2000, by the way, and my AGP card is an ATI Radeon 9500.

A few things I've done:

When I put it in, Windows had a driver ready for it but the Display control panel wouldn't allow a res above 800x600. Then when I rebooted, the image on the monitor hung when the resolution is supposed to change to its setting (after the bar finishes). So I had to disable it basically. But then I had to reinstall my 9500 driver because the Display control panel called my video adapter "VGA" and again limited to 800x600. What's up with Display control panel, and how do you deal with it with more than one video card? Nothing was being outputted on the AIW's VGA, by the way.

I downloaded MMC from ati.com but the setup did not run. Is this the right software to use? Any idea why it won't run? (setup program extracts stuff and prepares the installer and then the install process just sits there)

Thanks for your guidance!!

Comments

• primesuspectprimesuspect Beepin n' Boopin Detroit, MI Icrontian
    edited June 2003
    So, you wanna join the US vs. UK UT game, right? On team US, right?

:)

http://www.short-media.com/forum/showthread.php?s=&threadid=487
  • shwaipshwaip bluffin' with my muffin Icrontian
    edited June 2003
    primesuspect said

ROFL ....bringing in the ringer, eh prime?

does the card work if you just run it, without the agp card?
  • EMTEMT Seattle, WA Icrontian
    edited June 2003
    Hehe... I'd be happy to join UT... the people at school mostly suck compared to online, though. Responded in the thread.

Anyway, just tried the AIW by itself. It works fine. And I checked ATI's site to get an older version of MMC (I guess the latest one is for the newer cards only). I'll tell ya how it goes. PS - it just gave me an error at the end of setup: "The system compatibility check has detected system attributes that may compromise multimedia playback." Hehe compromise playback.. well that doesn't sound too good. Not quite the end of setup. Now it just bombed...

Hopefully I can just put the 9500 back in and maybe reinstall the driver and can run the monitor on that with the TV tuner from the AIW.
  • ShortyShorty Manchester, UK Icrontian
    edited June 2003
    primesuspect said

*cough* Thread crapper *cough*
    edited June 2003
    Update: succeeded in tuning TV! The installer had some trouble and I had to kill the registry entries to get it done right. Anyway, the problem now is gonna be getting it working with the Radeon 9500...
    edited June 2003
    Well, I put in the Radeon and neither worked after the bar finished for loading Windows. I needed the Radeon to play a game so I've taken out the other. But how does one run two video cards in Windows 2000? I haven't been able to without disabling one of them.
  • dodododo Landisville, PA
    edited June 2003
    i think you can use the catalyst drivers with the AIW, then install the MMC. If it doesnt seem software related, i would recommend switching PCI slots.

~dodo
    edited June 2003
    Well MMC is working fine. It's just running the AIW and the Radeon at the same time that's giving me trouble. I think Windows has some problem doing it (or maybe it is hardware related) but no idea what to do about it.
  • shwaipshwaip bluffin' with my muffin Icrontian
    edited June 2003
    Is the pci card in pci1? There may be some issuse with sharing resources, etc. Try a diff. slot
    edited June 2003
    It was in 4 I think. I'll try another.
    edited June 2003
    On the first boot I got into Windows but couldn't use the TV tuner. After that (after it reinstalled drivers etc) the display failed at resolution change during bootup like before. Have tried slots 3 (not 4), 5, and 6. The motherboard is KD7-RAID by the way.

So like... what do I do? heh pretty stumped
    edited June 2003
    Update:

I spent an hour or two last night messing with this thing. Got an old monitor out so I could watch both at the same time. Apparently the PCI vs AGP "Init First" setting in the BIOS is pretty important, but the problem is not solved. I have installs of 2000 and XP that I used.

2000 & AGP First - sync out of range on AIW, blank on Radeon, upon resolution change - seemed frozen though (this seems different from before and I have no idea why)
    2000 & PCI First - freeze before res change (the little bar)

And iirc:
    XP & AGP First - reset during bootup
    XP & PCI First - worked (don't know if it will consistently) but the driver/MMC didn't work correctly. I should work on that I guess.

I also had to remove about 6 ghost copies of every driver in "Remove Hardware", although it didn't help that I can tell.

I'm willing to run a separate monitor for TV on the AIW's out. How would that work with the extended desktop though? The TV Tuner may only work on the output of the AIW... I dunno, it seems a little weird.

More importantly though, why the hell can't it boot with both cards in at the same time? I have changed PCI slots, by the way.

Sorry if I'm a little unclear - it's hard to remember all the things I did & the results. Any advice will help though.
  • RWBRWB Icrontian
    edited September 2006
    I am curious if this was ever resolved, and if so... HOW?! :P