slowdown?

botheredbothered Manchester UK
edited September 2008 in Community
Since the last update the site seems to have got a lot slower, for me at least. Most other sites open as quickly as they ever did but Icrontic now takes a lot longer. Or is it just me?

Comments

• primesuspectprimesuspect Beepin n' Boopin Detroit, MI Icrontian
    edited September 2008
    Not just you. We are (painfully) aware of the slowdown, it has to do with the new software and design, etc, etc.. Here it comes: the famous:

We're working on it :p
  • LincLinc Owner Detroit Icrontian
    edited September 2008
    I just improved the "garbage collection" in the forum plugins. Let me know if it feels a little zippier (it's hard to tell on our connection).
  • LincLinc Owner Detroit Icrontian
    edited September 2008
    I've made a lot of changes to the site tonight to improve performance. Please let me know if you still have significant lag.

Technical stuff:
    • Added garbage collection mentioned above
    • Latest News and Latest 3 Features are complicated to figure out. Now they only get figured out when a new main page post is made and get stored in a special table that's much faster to read from.
    • It look a long time for the database to sort the Hot Threads list because it was sorting ALL available threads. I've limited the search to the last 3 days worth of threads.
    • The Hot Threads plugin for the front page sidebar was using its own MySQL connection rather than piggy-backing on the existing connection. That has been fixed.
    I'm currently working on a further enhancement that may slightly improve load time of the front page for logged-in members.

That's all the code optimization I could find to do; everything else is native to Wordpress or vBulletin which I trust is optimized beyond what I can do anyway. Anything else I do will be pulling levers and switches in MySQL which is... dangerous territory for me. :p
  • fatcatfatcat Mizzou Icrontian
    edited September 2008
    ^5
  • TiberiusLazarusTiberiusLazarus Icrontian
    edited September 2008
    Looks like a lot of good improvements. Everything seems much faster. ^5
  • KwitkoKwitko Sheriff of Banning (Retired) By the thing near the stuff Icrontian
    edited September 2008
    Seems zippier to me, although I only really noticed one uber-slow day.
  • botheredbothered Manchester UK
    edited September 2008
    Much better.:thumbup
  • WinfreyWinfrey waddafuh Missouri Icrontian
    edited September 2008
    My dial-up connection thanks you for your efforts.