What CPU cooler should I buy?

saltydog806saltydog806 Bowie MD
edited June 2009 in Hardware
I'm in the middle of my build and silly me I thought I would be able to use my old CPU cooler :o:o:o. I need CPU a cooler (fan) that will work on a Gigabyte X38-DQ6 , a 775 socket CPU. I am staying with air cooled right now. I will be overclocking sooner or later so though I don't want to through $$$ away I will consider all options.:bigggrin::bigggrin::bigggrin:

Comments

• ThraxThrax 🐌 Austin, TX Icrontian
    edited October 2008
    Thermalright Ultra-120 Extreme.
  • HarudathHarudath Great Britain Icrontian
    edited October 2008
    Thrax's suggestion is most likely the best high performance-cost product you can get, but the Freezer 7 Pro is cheaper and also very effective.
  • BuddyJBuddyJ Dept. of Propaganda OKC Icrontian
    edited October 2008
    http://icrontic.com/articles/true120_black/4

There's a good graph showing comparing many to today's top heatsinks. The TRUE 120 is a proven performer.
  • edited October 2008
    Thrax wrote:

Yeah, this is the most effective heatsink for an Intel based system still. And it does fit that board with no problems too as that's what I used to have on m y X38DQ6 before I went watercooled with it. Couple that heatsink (preferably with the base lapped, as most of them still have a crappy base finish) with a decent fan such as a Scythe S-Flex and you have a winner. Also, I have no experience with them, but the OCZ Vendetta 2 is supposed to be a very good heatsink for Intel based systems also.
  • lemonlimelemonlime Canada Member
    edited October 2008
    Yep, the TRUE is a great sink. I'd also suggest looking at the Noctua NH-U12P (one of my personal favorites)
  • _k_k P-Town, Texas Icrontian
    edited October 2008
    V2 or Ximatech, for cheaper solutions that are still good.
  • edited October 2008
    lemonlime wrote:
    Yep, the TRUE is a great sink. I'd also suggest looking at the Noctua NH-U12P (one of my personal favorites)

I thought about getting one of those (the Noctua), but I kind of got sidetracked with watercooling instead. It's more expensive but is definitely an overall better choice for me. I just upgraded my other watercooled rig to the Swiftech GTZ block, which is a great block BTW. And I'm about to cobble together a third system watercooled (another quad system), using an older waterblock along with a Swiftech MCR220 rad and MCP355 pump with an XSPC top.
    edited October 2008
    Hey mudd, if you get a chance would you check the blogs? I've got a water cooling idea I posted there in my blog that I'd like you to look over.
  • edited October 2008
    See my reply to your blog, Buddy J.:)

We now return back to saltydog806's search for a good air cooled heatsink for his computer.:crazy::rockon:
  • saltydog806saltydog806 Bowie MD
    edited October 2008
    muddocktor wrote:
    See my reply to your blog, Buddy J.:)

We now return back to saltydog806's search for a good air cooled heatsink for his computer.:crazy::rockon:

:respect::respect::respect:THANKS MUDDOCKTOR:rockon::rockon::rockon:
    :beer::cheers::beer:
    edited October 2008
    I'm in the middle of my build and silly me I thought I would be able to use my old CPU cooler :o:o:o. I need CPU a cooler (fan) that will work on a Gigabyte X38-DQ6 , a 775 socket CPU. I am staying with air cooled right now. I will be overclocking sooner or later so though I don't want to through $$$ away I will consider all options.:bigggrin::bigggrin::bigggrin:

Has anyone used the Sunbeam CR-CCTF 120mm "Core Contact Freezer" CPU Cooler? http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16835207004
  • edited October 2008
    That looks to be another direct contact heatpipe design and I would imagine it should perform pretty well. It should perform as well (and maybe better than) the OCZ Vendetta 2. And Sunbeam has made quality coolers in the past (they make the Tuniq Tower too). And with the MIR on it, that looks to be a good price.
    edited October 2008
    I just posted this link early this morning:
    http://icrontic.com/forum/showthread.php?t=76401

Benchmark Reviews does a decent job rounding up all the good coolers. The results in the piece are only hours old so you can judge from there as to what you'd like to go with. Pick anything from their Top 5 and you should be pleased.
  • LeonardoLeonardo Wake up and smell the glaciers Eagle River, Alaska Icrontian
    edited October 2008
    If you don't plan on spending a couple hours (or more) wet sanding the Extreme's base, it's just an expensive gadget with good, not great performance. If you have time on your hands and don't mind the work, then the 120 Extreme can be an excellent performer...after you buy a fan and some sanding supplies. If you want something that works great out of the box, top-tier performance, without modification, without shopping for sandpaper, and that includes a stock fan...and costs FAR less:

OCZ Vendetta 2
    Noctua NH-U12P
    Xigmatek HDT-S1284
    Sunbeamtech Core Contact Freezer

I have considerable experience with the TRUE (120 Extreme), Vendetta 2, and the Sunbeamtech. My recommendation concerning the Xigmatec and Noctua comes from many reviews and user comments.

Here's a really good review covering all the heatsinks we've just discussed or linking to them.
    edited October 2008
    Leo, have you purchased a TRUE recently? According to lemonlime's review and responses I've seen on other forums, Thermaltake has improved the base finish dramatically on the TRUE.
    edited October 2008
    Thermaltake has improved the base finish dramatically on the TRUE
    If that's the case, then there would be no hesitation from in recommending one, as long as the buyer doesn't mind the price premium and having the additional expense of procuring the 120mm fan.
    edited October 2008
    Lots of great info here thanks all.
    Here is where I’m at.
    I’ve got EVERYTHING for my build except my CPU Heatsink and fan. Didn’t know it would drive me nuts.
    I have the Gigabyte X38-DQ6 installed in a Thermeltake Armor VA8003BWS Full tower.

1. I want to keep the fan in the side panel.

http://www.thermaltakeusa.com/Produc...C=1277&ID=1405

2. I want to keep the passive heat pipes on the Mobo.

http://www.gigabyte.com.tw/Products/...Overview.aspx? ProductID=2665

I have learned:
    1. Check the size first. LxWxH, to see if it will fit case and clear diodes ect.
    2. Will it attach to Mobo without removing the passive heat pipes(in my case).
    3. Will it attach to Mobo without removing the side panel fan.
    4. Weight and type of attachment to the Mobo
    5. If it will fit then read up on it . (would have saved a lot of reading). I have a huge case and thought that surly all but the biggest fans would fit. Guess not. I’ll never stop learning (no side comments on that please).
    1. Thermalright Ultra-120 Extreme- To tall. Will hit my side panel fan.
    2. Freezer 7 Pro -
    May fit. Waiting on answer to email. From what I have
    heard there customer service is poor to say the least.
    3. OCZ Vendetta 2 -
    Problem on Gigabyte X38-DQ6 board.Cooler covered slots one and two for the memory unless the fan is pointed to t the rear of the case, which then slot one was covered.
    4. Noctua NH-U12P - To tall.

5. Sunbeam CR-CCTF - To tall.
    6. Ximatech - Can’t find
    7. OCZ Vendetta CPU Cooler (not the 2 see # 3 above).
    Height looks good. Awaiting answer from OCZ forum.
    I have 5.5” or 14 cm or 139.7 mm of height available without removing the fan. I’ll post the finalists. I have a feeling I will be choosing from the bottom of any top 15 list. Wish me luck
  • ThraxThrax 🐌 Austin, TX Icrontian
    edited October 2008
    That side panel fan is disrupting your airflow, however. Your case would probably be better off without it.
    edited October 2008
    Get the ProWater 850i WaterCooling kit that we just reviewed. The Thermaltake Armor series is pretty much designed to work with it. Lemonlime got great performance out of it, you'll have plenty of room, and that bigass stupid side panel fan will keep the rest of your components cool.

In general, water cooling will be the easiest way to get decent cooling on your CPU since you went and purchased that horrible case.
    edited October 2008
    Buddy J wrote:
    Get the ProWater 850i WaterCooling kit that we just reviewed. The Thermaltake Armor series is pretty much designed to work with it. Lemonlime got great performance out of it, you'll have plenty of room, and that bigass stupid side panel fan will keep the rest of your components cool.

In general, water cooling will be the easiest way to get decent cooling on your CPU since you went and purchased that horrible case.
    OK
    edited October 2008
    I've narrowed down my choices of CPU coolers. Two possabilities are the Silenx IXC-92HA2 and the Kingwin RVT-9225. Has anyone used either of these coolers or any other from Silenx or Kingwin? If so, what are the pro's and cons?

http://silenx.com/ixtremaproheatsinks.asp?sku=ixc-92ha2

http://kingwin.com/product_pages/rvt9225.asp

I am not going with the bigger coolers as a result of case restrictions.
  • GnomeWizarddGnomeWizardd Member 4 Life Akron, PA Icrontian
    edited October 2008
    edited October 2008

Thanks to all for the help. I've learned alot.
    I've narrowed down my choices of CPU coolers. Two possabilities are the Silenx IXC-92HA2 and the Kingwin RVT-9225. Has anyone used either of these coolers or any other from Silenx or Kingwin? If so, what are the pro's and cons?

http://silenx.com/ixtremaproheatsinks.asp?sku=ixc-92ha2

http://kingwin.com/product_pages/rvt9225.asp

I am not going with the bigger coolers as a result of case restrictions.
  • edited October 2008
    The Kingwin looks to be very similar to the OCZ Vendetta hsf. And while I don't have any personal experience with either the OCZ or that Kingwin, I've read that the Vendetta was pretty good for a hsf using a 92mm fan. As for Silenx, I don't exactly trust anything they put out because of past practices by this company (rebadging cheap ass fans and then selling them at outrageous prices and also signing up on forums on the sly trying to push their products).
    edited October 2008

I want to THANK EVERYONE for your help and guidance:rockon:. Now an update
    I did it (kind of) Micro Center has the Xigmatek HDT D1264 on sale for $27.99 after a $20.00 rebate it's only $7.99.
    http://microcenter.com/search/search_results.phtml?search_within=&web_group=byopc_case_cooling&category=&subcategory=HJ1B&manufacturer_title=Xigmatek&sortby=pricelow
    Since I was going to be in the area (45 minute drive) I decided to get it. I'm sure I could have gotten a better product however for the price this will allow me to get my rig running and to do more research on air and liquid cooling at my leasure.Thanks again.:beer:
    edited October 2008
    Sure thing! At your net cost of $7.99, you can't lose. You can always turn around and sell on a trading forum if it doesn't suit your needs, preferable ours! Odds are, unless you do advanced CPU overclocking, that 92mm Xigmatek will be permanent on your motherboard.
    edited October 2008
    Leonardo wrote:
    Sure thing! At your net cost of $7.99, you can't lose. You can always turn around and sell on a trading forum if it doesn't suit your needs, preferable ours! Odds are, unless you do advanced CPU overclocking, that 92mm Xigmatek will be permanent on your motherboard.
    Icrontic is ALWAYS my first choice.:thumbup
  • edited April 2009
    I second the Noctua NH-U12P ... good stuff

miles_n_bird@hotmail.com
  • djmonstadjmonsta London, UK Member
    edited June 2009
    Arctic Freezer Pro 7. I got mine off ebay for £18 with p&p. My E8600 was running at 80C under max load, now it won't go over 45C!!!

Additionally, think about GPU cooling... I got a Zalman VF900-CU for my nVidia 7950GT for £20 from PC World. Was running at 90C under max load, now won't go over 55C!