NAS: QNAP TS-209 II, is it possible to change the fan?

MJOMJO Denmark New
edited November 2008 in Hardware
Hey

I would like to apologize if I have made this post in the wrong forum, but it appears that questions regarding a NAS fits in several sub forums.

But does anyone know whether or not you can change the fan?
(Without breaking the box into little pieces that is. :rolleyes:)
The standard fan is a bit noisy, and that is not ideal if you are sleeping in the same room. ;)
It is a standard 80mm fan, and I would like to switch to a nice and quiet Papst fan. :thumbup
There is some sort of fan control, but with that enabled it is still making some noise.:wtf:

Apart from that it is a very nice little box.
It has a bunch of features apart from the obvious backup etc. ;)
Actually I have managed to install a program enabling me to stream my MP3 collection on a LAN and through the internet.
Then I will be able to listen to some decent music anywhere. ;D

Comments

• BuddyJBuddyJ Dept. of Propaganda OKC Icrontian
    edited October 2008
    Looking at the image of the back of it here, I'd wager you shouldn't have any problem changing it out.
  • MJOMJO Denmark New
    edited October 2008
    Buddy J wrote:
    Looking at the image of the back of it here, I'd wager you shouldn't have any problem changing it out.

It does appear to be quite easy.
    I must admit that I have not looked much at the back of the unit, I was too busy setting it up. :D
    When you get new hardware you tend to dive right in. :crazy:
  • BuddyJBuddyJ Dept. of Propaganda OKC Icrontian
    edited October 2008
    Agreed. Let us know how it goes. If you can, take photos of the disassembly. I didn't see too many photos of the TS-209 taken apart. Most shots only show how to install the drives. Good luck!
  • edited November 2008
    TS-209 II here also, fan bearings have gone. Scan aren't interested in sending me a replacement fan:mad2:

So going to replace it, fitting a 8 cm to 12cm shroud, then a 12cm fan to the back. Replacement fan is a Scythe 0.13A 12cm with three pin plug. Not too fussed the fan sticks out, should be much quieter
  • edited November 2008
    Ok tried the 12cm fan, works fine but motor seems to buzz unless I set it to high, probably something to do with PWM/speed control? It's actually rated slightly lower than the stock fan so safe using it. Checked the stock fan area, it's 7cm not 6cm so I can't use the 6cm to 12cm shroud:(

There's the dustproof 7cm fan but at £15 pretty expensive

oh new firmware for 209 has been released.