Computer Won't Boot

HarudathHarudath Great Britain Icrontian
edited October 2008 in Hardware
Hey guys,

So I ordered a new Seagate Barracuda 500GB Hard Drive, it arrived, I went to install it and now things have gone tits up.

I plugged it in, and it kept freezing at the POST screen. So I removed the original hard drive and tried that, it didnt work. I tried different combinations and evenually went back to just the new hard drive.

I got that to the post screen and there is said there was a boot error, I pressed F1 to continue and it let me go to install XP. I got to the screen, formatted the drive and started to install XP. It restarted as it does so it could continue with the install.

It restarted... and nothing happened. It continued as though nothing had happened before. I tried again, and something went wrong. So I tried turning it off and resetting the CMOS for some reason that made sense at the time :tongue: I restarted and tried to install again, it started working, the install started so I unput the details and went AFK. Came back and the screen was completely frozen and made up of random squares, green, black, white, grey, and some smiley faces (I have NO idea).

I held down the power button, restarted it and tried again. Again, nothing. So I unplugged the hard drive, plugged it back in again, started it and nothing happened. So I held down the power button and JUST as it was about to shut down a message came up saying "New CPU Detected, Do NOT turn off the po-..." And it shut down. Now when I start it I get no display, nothing. It doesnt even tell me here is no input signal. There are Capslock, Scroll Lock and Numlock buttons (that light when when pressed). I have NO idea what to do and I really don't even know what went wrong in the first place. Any help is appreciated and the less I have to buy new parts (Except RMA the H.D.D >.>) the better.

Thanks in Advance,

Harudath

Comments

• ThraxThrax 🐌 Austin, TX Icrontian
    edited October 2008
    I suspect you may have a bad video card.
  • HarudathHarudath Great Britain Icrontian
    edited October 2008
    Thrax wrote:
    I suspect you may have a bad video card.

AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAH.

I don't understand how a crappy hard drive and failed CPU check can result in a broken video card >.< It was fine before the crash. When I turn it on the fans flare up, but unlike every other time they don't calm down again a few seconds later. Any idea what could have caused it? And do you think this will be covered under warranty? :tongue:

If it's the VGA that's $350 down the drain :eek3::eek3:

Any ideas to explain the kersploding XP installs and crashes?
  • kryystkryyst Ontario, Canada
    edited October 2008
    I wouldn't be surprised that during the process of adding and removing your harddrive(s) you knocked loose another component. I've done it myself. I'd suggest removing your video card and another other cards you have (sound, nic etc...) and re-seat them. From personal experience I've found that fixes the problem you're encountering in this type of situation almost everytime.
  • ThraxThrax 🐌 Austin, TX Icrontian
    edited October 2008
    A bad video card produces the artifacting display you spoke of.

It crashes the Pc and freezes your Windows install, thus borking Windows numerous times.

Basically, all of your symptoms can result from a broken video card. Just check it out and move on if that's not it. Of course it's covered by warranty.
  • HarudathHarudath Great Britain Icrontian
    edited October 2008
    Thrax wrote:
    A bad video card produces the artifacting display you spoke of.

It crashes the Pc and freezes your Windows install, thus borking Windows numerous times.

Basically, all of your symptoms can result from a broken video card. Just check it out and move on if that's not it. Of course it's covered by warranty.

I tried a different video card and there was no difference, my dad also took it into work and their tech lab had a look at it- replaced all of the components with confirmed working ones and it was still the same. Tis the motherboard :(

I still don't understand what was causing the XP install to fail though, apparently the hard drive is working fine. I guess the motherboard was beginning to fail before the "LOL DONT DO THAT" screen :-/