ever buy a 160 and get a 200?

croc_croc_ New
edited December 2003 in Hardware
Yesterday at around 7pm me and my good friend drive to circuit city to partake in their 160gb wd se for 80$ sale. the drive cost us 179+tax with a 100 mail in rebate. we buy it, drive home and open the box. i glance at the HD and notice WD2000JD on it .... but it doesnt really register in my mind. so i plug it in ..... and the boot screen comes up .... 200gb????!!?!? then i realize OH CRAP, we bought the wrong drive. so i look at the box .... and on the upc it says wd1600jd ..... WAIT..... thats a 160gb .....

Apparently somehow a 200gb drive got mixed up in a 160gb box. Today after work I am returning to CC to look at the rest of the drives. IF they are WD2000JD's ... I will be purchasing one ... or 2.

Comments

• Geeky1Geeky1 University of the Pacific (Stockton, CA, USA)
    edited December 2003
    Get 4. 2, 2-drive RAID 0 arrays.
  • croc_croc_ New
    edited December 2003
    with whos money? lol
  • ThraxThrax 🐌 Austin, TX Icrontian
    edited December 2003
    Visa's? :tongue:
  • croc_croc_ New
    edited December 2003
    Over limit. :O
  • ThraxThrax 🐌 Austin, TX Icrontian
    edited December 2003
    Well, you know that just means you get another CC with a higher limit to pay off the Visa! :buck:
  • croc_croc_ New
    edited December 2003
    I tried. They wont. *cries*
  • mmonninmmonnin Centreville, VA
    edited December 2003
    Damn I want that problem.
  • GHoosdumGHoosdum Icrontian
    edited December 2003
    Which one? The over-spending-limit problem? ;)

croc, I have seen larger hard drives often subbed for smaller ones, but never this big, and it's usually a rebadged model for Black Friday sales. For example, last year I got an 80GB WD when Best Buy advertised it as a 75GB, which WD doesn't make - Best Buy got them repackeged so they'd never have to deal with Price Match issues.
  • mmonninmmonnin Centreville, VA
    edited December 2003
    Getting more than what I paid for.
  • DanGDanG I AM CANADIAN Icrontian
    edited December 2003
    GHoosdum had this to say
    Which one? The over-spending-limit problem? ;)

croc, I have seen larger hard drives often subbed for smaller ones, but never this big, and it's usually a rebadged model for Black Friday sales. For example, last year I got an 80GB WD when Best Buy advertised it as a 75GB, which WD doesn't make - Best Buy got them repackeged so they'd never have to deal with Price Match issues.

Although that is closer to what you actually get to use.
  • Geeky1Geeky1 University of the Pacific (Stockton, CA, USA)
    edited December 2003
    Dan, you reminded me...

My 80GB WD has a formatted capacity of 74GB.
    My 80GB Maxtors have formatted capacities of ~78GB.

:wtf: