If geeks love it, we’re on it

Howdy, Stranger!

You found the friendliest gaming & tech geeks around. Say hello!

did I get ripped off?

TrumandrummerTrumandrummer Taylor Michigan Icrontian
edited Oct 2008 in The Pub
In August, I went out and bought a 52" Samsung series 5 (550) LCD hdtv 1080p from circuit city...
It seemed like a good deal, and I didn't research tvs before I bought one..

This is the first hdtv that ive owned... so I knew nothing about hdtvs.

now, I feel like I might have gotten ripped off. because I looked at the papers and is 30,000:1 contrast, and most tvs that I see are 50,000:1. and I paid $2,000 for it.

I mean, the picture looks great, especially on blu-ray.... but I don't know how good it looks compared to a 50,000:1 contrast ratio.

does $2,000 seem like a bad deal for 52" LCD 30,000:1 ???? :scratch:

Comments

• ThraxThrax Professional Shill, Watch Slut, Mumble Hivemind Drone Austin, TX Icrontian
    edited Oct 2008
    You paid for size, not contrast ratio, but 30,000:1 isn't bad. You didn't really get ripped off.
  • TrumandrummerTrumandrummer Taylor Michigan Icrontian
    edited Oct 2008
    so is 30,000:1 good?

and does 50,000:1 look that much better?
  • ThraxThrax Professional Shill, Watch Slut, Mumble Hivemind Drone Austin, TX Icrontian
    edited Oct 2008
    Image quality is subjective. There are plenty of people out there who, for example, are perfectly content to run 1024x768. They enjoy their icons that are big enough to collapse into their own black hole.

I'm not one of those people. You may not be either. You may appreciate deep black levels, while I appreciate bright white levels. Go look at a 50,000:1 TV and judge for yourself. Nobody can tell you if it looks "that much better" unless you want me to say it'll probably look better, which it probably will. How much is your call.
    edited Oct 2008
    alright lol, that's a good way to put it.
    thanks a lot
  • kryystkryyst Ontario, Canada
    edited Oct 2008
    Also keep in mind that samsung has one of the best image processors currently available which means faster refresh rates and crisper images. So while some other tv may boast a higher contrast it can still have a worse picture. So no I wouldn't say you got ripped off as long as you bought, you probably could have done slightly better if you shopped around or weighted a bit. But you didn't get ripped off.
  • CycloniteCyclonite Tampa, Florida Icrontian
    edited Oct 2008
    I don't believe you got ripped off at all. However, if you're going to worry about a better spec'd device being released at any point after you make an electronics purchase, you're going to be constantly upset. Enjoy the set. Samsung makes some amazing televisions.
    edited Oct 2008
    Yea, I realize that is how it always goes.... you buy something, and something better comes out right after...

I just got worried when I went to best buy and saw a bunch of 50,000:1 tvs. and like I said, I don't know much about tvs, the only thing I researched before I bought it was which brands are better.

thanks a lot everyone,
    I feel better about it now.... :D