ID3 Tagging in iTunes

UPSKingpinUPSKingpin SirElkhart, IN Icrontian
edited November 2008 in Science & Tech
I have an extremely clean music library and am about to start tagging every newly added song with artist, title, album, track number, year, and genre. I've been using foobar2000 recently, but find it extremely tedious to use for tagging. I used iTunes a few years ago, but found that when I migrated my library to another hard drive, some tags didn't stick with the files.

I read that iTunes was planning to implement a better tagging system a couple versions ago. Has anyone had any experience with tagging in iTunes 8? If the problem has been fixed, does the ID3 tag replicate to all versions (ID3v1, ID3v2, etc.)?

I prefer to use iTunes because I'm familiar with the interface and will have a much easier time flying through gigabytes of mp3s. If iTunes still has the usual problems, can anyone recommend a good third-party app for tagging that replicates to all ID3 tag versions without much effort? I've heard good things about Zortam Mp3 Media Studio, MusicBrainz, and Tag&Rename. I'd like to get some community input before I commit to multiple hours of tagging only to find there was an easier way.

*Extra Credit*
Anyone who can tell me of a program that offers all of the above PLUS the ability to save album artwork to files/folder gets an E-Bier.

Comments

• kryystkryyst Ontario, Canada
    edited October 2008
    I've got the latest version of iTunes and the tags seem to replicate fine on any device I've put the mp3's onto (mp3 player in my car and my portable - neither of which are apple products) so while I can't confirm if things are better I haven't experienced any problems with it.
  • UPSLynxUPSLynx :KAPPA: Redwood City, CA Icrontian
    edited October 2008
    I'll take an E-Bier regardless of the fact that you brute-forced it. Is that good?
  • jaredjared College Station, TX Icrontian
    edited October 2008
    ID3 TagIT was the best ID3 management tool I've ever found to date.

http://www.id3-tagit.de/
  • trolltroll Windsor, Nova Scotia Icrontian
    edited October 2008
    I've used other tag software before, but Tag&Rename has been the best I've used, excellent software.

All Tag Versions, Extra Fields, Audio Formats....

Amazon support for Album Art and Info

http://www.softpointer.com/tr.htm
  • SnarkasmSnarkasm Madison, WI Icrontian
    edited November 2008
    Is there anything that will autotag for you? I keep wanting to retag and organize my stuff, but there's just so much. It's too daunting to start.
  • BlackHawkBlackHawk Bible music connoisseur There's no place like 127.0.0.1 Icrontian
    edited November 2008
    MusicBrainz.
  • SnarkasmSnarkasm Madison, WI Icrontian
    edited November 2008
    Excellent, checking it out.
  • ThraxThrax 🐌 Austin, TX Icrontian
    edited November 2008
    Winamp 5.x can automatically tag songs too. I've found it very accurate in guessing the ID3 info of untagged MP3s.