Namco Bandai Games Takes Over Hellgate: London

MrTRiotMrTRiot Northern Ontario Icrontian
edited November 2008 in Gaming
"Dear $Account{AccountName},

Please be advised that NAMCO BANDAI Games America Inc. will continue to support customers of Hellgate: London with online server support and play through January 31, 2009. In a further gesture of support, we will provide this server support free of charge to all fans and players of the game up until the shut down date.

All of us at NAMCO BANDAI Games America Inc. appreciate your enthusiasm for Hellgate: London and look forward to providing you with future entertainment products.

For questions regarding the shut down or additional information about Hellgate: London, please visit the game’s official website at www.hellgatelondon.com.

Thanks you,
Namco Bandai Games America Inc."

It's the final nail in the coffin. R.I.P. Hellgate:London

Comments

• pigflipperpigflipper The Forgotten Coast Icrontian
    edited November 2008
    Yeah, basically, the game is officially dead. Servers will not run after the listed date and this game is nothing without the servers.

Too bad, I thought the game had great potential, until I played what they called a "pre-release" beta and realized that the game was going to be shipped in that god aweful state.
  • MrTRiotMrTRiot Northern Ontario Icrontian
    edited November 2008
    "Recent Headlines for HellGate: LondonHellgate Re-Launch?
    By Keith Cross on Nov 05, 2008

Gamasutra is reporting that HanbitSoft, the company which operates Hellgate in Korea has acquired the rights to th game in other regions and may be planning to re-launch the game.

Korean publisher and developer HanbitSoft has officially announced that it owns the IPs for Flagship Studios' Hellgate: London and Mythos and is actively working on a Hellgate expansion, despite the scheduled termination of Hellgate's servers by operator Namco Bandai.

Hellgate generally suffered from perceived quality issues and struggled to maintain a sufficient fanbase to continue operating, leading to Flagship's essential closing in July 2008.

Namco Bandai, who co-published the game through an agreement with EA Partners, recently announced that it would shut down its Hellgate servers on January 31, 2009. Flagship also shut down its servers for MMORPG Mythos earlier in the year, suspending the title's development while it was in its private beta testing stage."

Taken from http://www.mmorpg.com/gamelist.cfm?loadnews=12157&bhcp=1

Now this is an interesting twist to the plot. By the sounds of it I'd reckon that Hanbitsoft is planing on making the Hellgate:London expansion a single player only game. I think it's the best bet right now. No one wants a "diablo 2 1/2" game....