Kooling with the kretins.

KhaosKhaos New Hampshire
edited April 2009 in Hardware
So, I'm putting together a new rig from the ground up for the first time in almost four years... And it only seems proper to chronicle it here. Been a while!

There will be no crazy R404A chillers this time around. No 650GPH+ MagDrive pumps. No 3/4" ID hosing.

In fact, most of my parts are retail this time. I just don't have a lot of time to fab anything due to my schedule, but I will be slapping together an interesting watercooling setup with 3672 cubic centimeters of radiator -- so a wee bit of fab is bound to happen. ;] No, I'm not missing any decimals there. I have some weird mod ideas involving UV spraypaint, too, so we'll see what happens.

My primary goals with this build are:

a) Create a cooling system that is capable of dissipating a lot of heat and staying close to ambient without generating any audible noise over a whisper.

b) Don't completely obliterate the Cosmos case, because it's nice and cost too much money.

c) World domination.

d) Spray balls with UV blue paint.

If I can accomplish at least one of these goals, I will be satisfied. That's the whole point of setting many goals. That way you can fail at most of them and still be a winner.

With glow in the dark balls.

As of this post, I've currently got a lot of stuff coming in the mail but nothing happening yet with the actual build. Just gonna lay down some specs and materials to start with, with a build log and plenty of pictures to come later.

First, the good stuff!

360mm HWLabs Black Ice GTX Gen II Rad -> 1/2" ST HF Barbs
240mm HWLabs Black Ice GTX Gen II Rad -> 1/2" ST HF Barbs

Sidewinder has a great sale on these if anybody is interested in upgrading a rad or three. These are the latest Black Ice models and compare pretty favorably with the Thermochill and Feser rads for roughly 70% of the cost. Good deal, IMO. They come in any color you want, as long as it's black.

MCP-655-B Pump w/Impeller Kit and RPM tail-out -> 1/2" Barbs
Tried and true. I've always had good luck with these units. Some people say bad things about the variable speed 655's, but eh. This is a fixed speed model.

Swiftech Apogee GTZ w/ iC7 hold down plate
Just can't beat it right now. Sidewinder has these on sale, too! I think I love Sidewinder. They came in almost $200 cheaper than the other stores I was shopping when it was all said and done, although I did order a few cooling items from Performance PC as well.

Swiftech MCW60-4870
I hate the cost of a full coverage block, but not as much as I hate the idea of epoxying micro-sinks to a brand new video card. Maybe when its days are through somebody will buy the card with the block. *shrug* This was a fairly reasonable $89. Over $30 cheaper than some of the EK full coverage blocks, and a better chamber design and build quality to boot.

6' Feser 1/2" ID 3/4" OD PVC / UV Blue on Blue

EK RES 250
I like these simple little elegant reservoirs. My intention is to mount this on the side of the case with the top protruding over a bit, and the fluid gurgling up in side it like some kind of bizarre flow meter / tourist attraction all in one.

A bunch of ransacked 120MM fans, 120MM fan shrouds and other materials from my last 'serious' builds. You know, back when the 1Ghz Athlon was king. lawl

So that about does it for the cooling loop. Of course, all that cooling would go berserk and murder innocent kittens if it didn't have a healthy supply of heat to keep it occupied...

System Stuff

CM Cosmos RC-1000-KSN
Antec Signature Series 650W PSU
MSI X58 Platinum
MSI HD4870 1GB
i7 920
6GB Corsair XMS3 DDR3-1600@Cas9
300GB VRaptor
1TB WD RE3

The theme of this hardware build is "upgrade paths".

CFX? Upgrade path.
Media Center 5-drive RAID5 array? Upgrade path.
RAID0 System drive, or SSD? Upgrade path.

I spent most of my budget on the case and cooling setup because, bottom line, those are the pieces that stick around for a while. And going from such a crappy, old computer to such a current build, I really don't know what I'm missing. No sense in paying for parts I don't need right now.

That, and I want to be able to play with my TEC collection in a few months when I get bored. ;]

Now the waiting. I hate waiting.

Comments

• LeonardoLeonardo Wake up and smell the glaciers Eagle River, Alaska Icrontian
    edited November 2008
    Looking forward to seeing the water cooled monster.
  • edited November 2008
    If I may make a few substitute suggestions for you, Khaos. :)

For the radiators, why not go with a Swiftech MCR320-QP and MCR220-QP instead of the BI GTX rads? They are both cheaper and also perform better than the BI rads with low noise, low flow fans so you can keep it quiet? I'm using the MCR220-QP Res (has built in reservoir on tank top) and I'm perfectly satisfied with it's performance for the price.

Also, Petra's Tech Shop has a hell of a deal going on the Laing D4/MCP650 pumps for $29.99. It's a little noisier than the 655-B but also outperforms it too and for that price you can get 2 of them for what you will pay for the 655-B.

GTZ block is a great choice. I have one myself and love it to death. I have a regular MCW60 on my 8800GTS (G92) and it performs fantastically. Running Furmark in stability test mode, my temps on the gpu have a hard time reaching 40 C even when overclocked. It mostly stays around 38-39 C under Furmark. So IMO Swiftech has a damn good design in this block.

For tubing, you also might look at putting some of the silver antimicrobial Tygon in the loop, which will help keep the critters at bay and keep your loop clean.
  • mas0nmas0n howdy Icrontian
    edited November 2008
    Looks like a nice setup. I've been very pleased with the 655-B and also the MCW60 on my 4870. I took a different approach, not as nice to look at, but extremely effective.

I expect some pics when you get this beast up and running. :cheers:
  • KhaosKhaos New Hampshire
    edited November 2008
    Thanks for the feedback, guys.

Mason; that's a sweet setup. I hadn't seen that thread yet, but good to know that the MCW60 and 4870 mesh well together.

The BIOS reflash isn't something I've read much about up to this point. Was your stock BIOS not capable of changing the GPU freq over a certain amount?

Mudd; glad to see that you are digging the ST blocks. They really look fantastic and I can't wait to play around with 'em. My last block was a MAZE2. LOL

On the hose issue, I ran into problems with Tygon kinking in the past. I take it you are happy with the silver-lined stuff, though, or you wouldn't be recommending it.

Rad choices, rad choices... So many rad choices. There is definitely a trade off between low-noise performance and high-performance potential, and I was looking hard at the QP series before I ended up on the GTX's. Perhaps I should have stated my goals a little more clearly, but the reason I finally settled on the GTX's is that it leaves me with the option of increasing the air flow to dissipate heat from pelts whenever I get bored with straight watercooling. Since I already have a bunch of 226-watt pelts and industrial power supplies sitting around, I wanted to give myself room to play with 'em in the future. With the QP, the gains to be had by adding a little noise to the equation are a lot less. At least that's the thinking behind it, but it's really hard to say either way which one works out better without having both radiators to compare in the same system and situation.

Leo; not as much as I am, I assure you of that. :D
  • edited November 2008
    Khaos, that does make good sense on your rad choice then, if you plan to play with pelts on the system. And if you are gonna play with them, you aren't too worried about noise then. :D

About the pumps I linked: I just couldn't pass the deal up on those D4 pumps and ordered me 4 for $100. Even though I don't need pumps right now I just couldn't pass that deal up and I figure that I can sell 3 of them for a good price for the buyer and pretty much recoup my expenses. If I sit on them a month or 2 and then sell them for $40 each I cover my cost for them plus shipping.
    edited November 2008
    That is indeed an awesome deal on the D4. Of all the points of contention, the pump is definitely the one I am most up in the air about. I'm settled on a Laing model, but the price gap between the D4 and the D5-B is significant. In the end, I found myself sold on the RPM tail (will explain at GREAT LENGTH [warning, warning] below) on the D5-B and ordered one from Sidewinder. They currently have them for $67 and I ordered some other things from them as well, so my "true cost" was discounted due to bulk shipping.
    <hr>
    Why I am so hung up on a stupid RPM tail:

One of my planned side projects is a programmable system monitor. I work as a software engineer with involvement in mid- and top-tier development, so as a way to familiarize myself with low-level development I've decided to build a circuit board with a USB interface that can monitor voltage and report the readings to a driver.

This could then interface via the serial bus with a C++ driver and C# .NET GUI with the intention of providing a fully extensible system interaction framework for .NET developers. Anybody with C# .NET programming experience could write a custom application that monitors system level inputs (and OS/software environment conditions) and responds in a given way. If my circuit board also provides relays and outputs, then this could even be used to control all kinds of normally autonomous components.

So, without getting too carried away, I basically want to create a software-driven fan bus. ;D But so much more. I have a lot of ideas for various ways that this system could be built upon, eventually forming the backbone of a home automation control center that is capable of controlling all kinds of electronic devices using AC relays and possibly remote WiFi drops.

Cheers for the input, as always, mudd. Now I'm off to change my user title to King Kretin of Babbleon.
  • BuddyJBuddyJ Dept. of Propaganda OKC Icrontian
    edited December 2008
    This thread makes me giddy. I can't wait to see the build come together.
  • primesuspectprimesuspect Beepin n' Boopin Detroit, MI Icrontian
    edited December 2008
    This is too good to pass up. We're following this with great interest :D
  • DrLiamDrLiam British Columbia
    edited December 2008
    d) Spray balls with UV blue paint.

I hope you accomplish this one. :]
    edited December 2008
    I am pleased to announce that this build and subsequent system tweakage will be written up in a series of articles for Icrontic.

A return to the glory days? Perhaps.

Cheers guys. It is really great to see how much interest this build is generating. I am super psyched.

Just one contractual matter that must be ironed out beforehand:

Can the articles include pictures of my glow balls?
    edited December 2008
    Dunno. Will they be anything like this?
    edited December 2008
    Ha, nice.

I think my glow balls with be > than BrakeNutz. I could even put a timer circuit on a UV tube... FLASHING glow balls.

Better yet, STROBE balls!

How women put up with me, I do not know. I mean *cough* woman *cough*.
  • KometeKomete Member
    edited December 2008
    I freaking love that case man. When compusa was closing I came so close to buying one when I saw it in person. All that gorgeous room and sturdy like a tank.

I hope you succeed man, because choosing between a new world leader that would consider painting his balls with UV paint or simply seeing UV painted balls is not a choice I'd want to make.
    edited December 2008
    Komete wrote:
    I hope you succeed man, because choosing between a new world leader that would consider painting his balls with UV paint or simply seeing UV painted balls is not a choice I'd want to make.
    win
    This is too good to pass up. We're following this with great interest.
    Hot damn, Brian! Thanks for sticking me on the front page with such a glowing endorsement. You could have at least downplayed my legacy a bit and spared everyone the disappointment when they see a mangled Cosmos, a failed watercooling rig, a blown processor and two bright, blue balls at the end of this thread.
    edited December 2008
    BALLS.

And with that, I take the record for most subsequent posts in single thread that make mention of balls.

That's an Icrontic achievement, right?
    my glow balls?
    I think my glow balls with be >
    FLASHING glow balls
    STROBE balls!
    two bright, blue balls
    BALLS.

If I do say so myself, this build is off to a good start.
  • primesuspectprimesuspect Beepin n' Boopin Detroit, MI Icrontian
    edited December 2008
    balls to the wall! ... err.....
  • KometeKomete Member
    edited December 2008
    I guess you can add blue balls to your quote thread. Someone was going to say it sooner or later.
    edited December 2008
    Alright guys, come on now. This is serious business. Enough with the balls comments.
    edited December 2008
    bollocks
    edited December 2008
    Quick Update:

Newegg screwed up my original order, so instead of working on the build project this week I worked on my self-control as I sat frothing at the mouth, staring at the watercooling equipment which all arrived well in front of the computer hardware.

attachment.php?attachmentid=26423

Finally, Newegg's credit for my first order posted to my account so I was able to place a new order. For the most part, the components are the same, except...

Sapphire 4870 1GB instead of MSI. The MSI card is out of stock right now, and I noticed that the PCB color of the Sapphire card is the same as that of the MSI X58 Platinum mobo, so that works out nicely.

G.SKILL CAS 8 6GB kit instead of Corsair CAS 9 kit. This is for sale right now at Newegg for the same cost as the slower Corsair memory.

Scratched the 1TB drive for now to save some green. I will use my older storage drive and put off the whole mass-storage aspect of the build until I have money for a proper RAID setup with multiple drives. I have many terabytes of movies and music that is currently burned to DVDs and CDs that I want to eventually get on local drives.
    edited December 2008
    One business day after placing my order, the Cosmos is in hand! Gotta love Newegg. D-Day is tomorrow when the rest of the stuff is due in.

I had never seen a Cosmos case in person... Talk about fricken' huge! The mid-sized proportioning disguises the sheer massiveness in photographs. The layout and quality of the case is perfect. The thing feels so solid. Can't wait to get this system together.
    edited December 2008
    sweeeeeet
    edited December 2008
    Stuff came in today; got everything put together and running on air cooling right now. System build was super smooth. Always nice when everything just works.

Tons of pictures... Too tired to do anything with them tonight.

Shouldn't have scavenged the DVD burner from my old system. Thing is borked. Can't read some media; unfortunately that includes the driver CD that came with the X58 Platinum.

The new system is so quiet... And fast. After I built the system I started the Vista install and went to have a couple cigs. When I got back in ~8 minutes later, the Vista install was completing. Farkin' sweet.

Thankfully, the DVD burner reads the Vista DVD. Heh.

OK, no more thoughts right now, pictures tomorrow -- although nothing too exciting going on yet.
    edited December 2008
    So I've had the stuff for a few days now... Winter storms knocked out the Nets, but I've managed to smuggle some benchmarks home on thumb drives so I've been tinkering with the system on stock air. I have noticed some interesting performance quirks so far; just ways that this platform performs differently from past platforms. They will be written up in the articles and blogs for the build. The memory situation is the one that I find most interesting. I definitely have some thoughts on optimum memory settings for X58/i7 which have so far been validated by preliminary benchmarks. Let's just put it this way: QPI and tri-channel memory changes the game considerably when it comes to perceivable performance gains from memory tweaks.

I've got some 200 pictures of my unpack / initial build so far that I need to start going through. Here's a few teasers that I reverse-smuggled back to the office with me...

All pictures are posted to my flickr account...

The i920... I have no idea what this stepping amounts to at this point. Need to see some pictures of other production i7's to get a sense for it.

3115714934_2014363990.jpg

3115714930_a6a3ed3a59.jpg

The business end of the 920... The flat contacts on the CPU are a nice touch. The motherboard has the pins on it for Socket 1366, which I believe is much less likely to be damaged. Plenty of mobo pictures to follow later, with some graphic close-ups of me violating the pinned CPU socket, of course.

3115714940_288f177fd9.jpg

Annnnnd a shot of the air cooled system after the initial build-up... This was a thrown together build for the sake of getting the OS and drivers installed and some baseline benchmarks, so please judge harshly.

3115714956_313a84f2ba.jpg

The Cosmos box had a gash in the side of it. It looked inviting. I could not resist.

3115714946_ce5094f8c7.jpg

3115714950_bbc2f59dd3.jpg

Yeah, I'm workin' the thumb. You know it.
    edited December 2008
    So I've done a little further investigating, and all retail Core i7's at this point, including the 965EE, are Revision C0 Stepping 4.

The sSpec codes are different for each processor.

I have another close-up picture of my 920 that shows a tiny barcode and includes what I recall as being the Revision and Stepping codes. I will post it up tomorrow in a blog entry with some mark-up showing what markings mean what on the Core i7.

I have Googled the ever living piss out of this subject and cannot find a single image of a retail Core i7 that details the different markings on it.

For example, my 920 shows up as Revision C0 in CPU-Z 1.49, but on the bottom there is a clear "001" marking in the same gold trace layer as the pin contacts. What does it mean? I aim to answer these questions over the next day or so and share my findings with you all.
    edited December 2008
    Oh, and as for preliminary benchmarks:

The engineering samples that all the review sites got appear to have been conservative in their capabilities. A wise move on Intel's part.

My 920 at totally stock speeds is beating the reference baselines set by 920 ES's and matches 940 ES's in many cases.

Integral compute power: ~82G/flops
    Float compute power: I don't remember.
    Memory bandwidth with 6GB @ DDR-1066 CL8 on 4.8Ghz QPI is 18.7GB/s!
    Latency is slightly better than 2GB DDR2-800 CL2.5!

Crysis: Warhead @ 1920 x 1200, Gamer, 2x AA 16xAF = LOL BUTTER.

This thing is a monster. Straight up. And I haven't even clocked it yet.

With stock cooler, the in-die core thermistors all read 29C idle / 53C full OCCT load. Very respectable for a stock cooler on a 130W processor. Intel's power management is second to none.

Core i7's have on-die TDP monitoring and reporting, which HWMonitor and Sandra pick up, so my TDP calculator will soon be filled out.

Okay, done spamming my own thread for now. Trying to logically break up these posts a bit so it doesn't turn into one TLDR novel. Probably failing on that count.
    edited December 2008
    Looks good! Keep it coming.
  • KometeKomete Member
    edited December 2008
    Awesome pictures. Nothing does a hardware thread better than pics. Very clean install of all the wires. Things looks so good in there that even if you didn't add water cooling it still is impressive. Looks like Intel really delivered with core I7. Can;t wait to see your overclocking results.

Quick question. What Video card are you using? Also will you be mounting your radiator up top between those 120mm fans and the case?
    edited December 2008
    ^^ Thanks fellas.
    Komete wrote:
    Also will you be mounting your radiator up top between those 120mm fans and the case?
    The 240mm rad will be up top where the two fans are currently, and the 360mm rad will be externally mounted to the back of the case using custom brackets and shrouds. The 120mm rear exhaust fan will be blowing air into the top third of the radiator, with external fans pushing and pulling air through the rest of it.
    Komete wrote:
    What Video card are you using?
    Sapphire HD4870 1GB
    edited December 2008
    Anybody know what the gold traces on the top of the processor are for, and if they allow you to do anything cool?

Great pix so far. I'm loving this so much.