problem installing Adobe Reader 7.1.0

edited December 2008 in Science & Tech
Hello. I am trying to upgrade from Adobe Reader 7.0 to 7.1. But during the installation process, I get the following error message (this appears during the phase when the installer is removing existing registry keys):

*****ADOBE READER 7.1.0 INSTALLER INFORMATION

Error 1402. Could not open key HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\Software\Classes\CLSID\{C523F39 <WBR>F-9C83-11D3-9094-00104BD0D535}\Programmable.

Verify that you have sufficient access to that key, or contact your support personnel.*****

I would appreciate anyone's assistance as to how I can solve this problem..thanks.

Comments

• kryystkryyst Ontario, Canada
    edited December 2008
    1st, why are you upgrading to reader 7..... when 9 is out?

2nd do you have admin rights on that machine i.e. typically if it's a business computer you don't have admin rights, where if it's a personal computer you will.
  • QCHQCH Ancient Guru Chicago Area - USA Icrontian
    edited December 2008
    Looks like a corrupt install of Adobe 7. I would uninstall 7 and install version 8 or 9 (9 is the newest and least likely to get infected with the ton of PDF bugs. ;)
  • edited December 2008
    Hi..thanks for your recommendations. I will go ahead I suppose and try to delete version 7 and install version 9 (I'll let you know how it goes...I think I tried a long time ago to delete version 7 and install version 8, but the install of version 8 didn't work for some reason). Also, I believe that, since this is a personal computer, I do have admin rights on this machine. And, the reason I was upgrading to 7.1 is because I have this software on my computer called "Secunia Personal Software Inspector" which monitors all your programs to see if you need updates. It told me that Adobe Reader 7.0 was out-of-date, and it provided me with the download for version 7.1 (to be honest, even I was a little confused by this, since I was sure that there was at least a version 8). I guess Secunia has not been informed that even version 8 came out quite a long time ago.

Thanks
  • AnnesAnnes Tripped Up by Libidos and Hubris Alexandria, VA Icrontian
    edited December 2008
    You could also try Foxit Reader instead of Adobe Reader. Has a smaller footprint.
  • ThraxThrax 🐌 Austin, TX Icrontian
    edited December 2008
    And performs all the same functions!
  • edited December 2008
    I'll vouch for FoxIt as well, I was actually going to recommend that. You can even run it off a USB drive now :)
  • edited December 2008
    Hi everyone...thanks for your suggestions. This Foxit thing seems great, but unfortunately my job requires that I use Acrobat. But here's something weird: I cannot even UNINSTALL my Adobe Reader 7.0 without getting this same "Error 1402" error message (I attempted the uninstall by going to Add/Remove Programs in the Control Panel). For some weird reason, Adobe Reader 7.0 seems to be "locked" in my machine! Any advice as to how to deal with this? I went to the Adobe site and they mention something about tinkering with the relevant registry key (the one mentioned in the error message, which never varies) in RegEdit, but this seemed way too risky for a relative newbie such as myself..so I decided it would be better to get some specific help from here instead.

Thanks to anyone with advice! I really need to get Adobe Reader 9.0 on my machine ASAP..
    edited December 2008
    One note about Foxit Reader. It's a fantastic program and I use it almost exclusively. However. There are some PDF's and some websites with embedded PDF that require acrobat.

As for removing acrobat, you could try and remove it manually.

First remove the adobe launcher (if it's installed) from the startup programs folder. Then make sure adobe isn't running in your task manager. Then go into windows explorer and your program files and delete the adobe folder and reboot. You may get a bunch of error messages, that's fine. Now get a program called cclearner from http://www.ccleaner.com/ run the registry cleaner and fix all the registry errors, then run it again, and again until it comes back with 0 errors. Then reboot.

Go back into ccleaner and use the tools, the uninstall tool should be able to remove adobe now from your programs and also look in the startup tool to make sure any references of adobe are gone.

You could try and do the ccleaner clean up before trying to do the manually delete. However it's been in my experience that when you get those sorts of registry errors ccleaner's uninstaller still doesn't work.
  • edited December 2008
    Hello. Thanks so much for your instructions! Just to make sure I'm with you, is the following procedure correct?:

1. Go to START>ALL PROGRAMS>STARTUP>right-click "ADOBE READER SPEED LAUNCH">DELETE.

2. Go to TASK MANAGER>PROCESSES>click "End Process" for anything ADOBE READER related (by the way, is there any exact particular process name(s) I should look out for in this regard?)

3. Go to START>ALL PROGRAMS>ACCESSORIES>WINDOWS EXPLORER>MY COMPUTER>LOCAL DISK>PROGRAM FILES>right-click ADOBE folder>DELETE (by the way, I checked the contents of this ADOBE folder, and it contains 2 other folders called ACROBAT 6.0 and ACROBAT 7.0).

4. REBOOT

5. Run CCleaner registry cleaner repeatedly until it can clean everything without error (incidentally, CCleaner has in my experience NEVER failed to miss a single registry item...thus, I probably will only have to run it one time)

6. REBOOT

7. Go to CCleaner and use it to uninstall Adobe Reader 7.0....then, look in the Startup Tool in CCleaner to see that references to Adobe Reader 7.0 are gone.

8. Download and install Adobe Reader 9.0.

Is this right?

Also, I must mention that I have some other Adobe items on my machine, can I leave them alone (as my only problem is with Adobe Reader 7.0 not uninstalling)? Here are the other Adobe items:

ADOBE DOWNLOAD MANAGER 2.2
    ADOBE FLASH PLAYER 10 ActiveX
    ADOBE FLASH PLAYER 10 PLUGIN
    ADOBE SHOCKWAVE PLAYER

Thanks so much..
    edited December 2008
    Yep you've got the order right and you can leave the other adobe software alone.
  • DrLiamDrLiam British Columbia
    edited December 2008
    Sounds fun. ;P Good luck!
  • edited December 2008
    Hi kryyst...thanks for confirming my steps. I already have a question about step #1. I tried it as written, but when I clicked "Delete" for the Adobe Reader Speed Launch, I got a message saying something to the effect of "this will only delete the shortcut...to remove the program, you must do it via Add/Remove Programs in the Control Panel." Well, I checked there, but the Adobe Reader Speed Launch was not listed there. So I checked for the location of this thing (which is called "reader_sl.exe"), and it is found in C:\Program Files\Adobe\Acrobat 7.0\Reader. Should I navigate there and then delete the reader_sl.exe to my recycle bin?

Thanks again
    edited December 2008
    Nope that's right it just deletes the shortcut to the speadlauncher. But that's all we want to do in step one is delete the shortcut so that when you reboot it's not trying to launch speedlauncher at startup.

The actual program would be deleted when that adobe folder gets deleted.
  • edited December 2008
    Hi Kryyst...well, I got as far as step 3 in my list, but here's what happened after I tried to delete the Adobe folder from "C:\My Computer\Local Disk\Program Files" to the Recycle Bin: I got an error message saying "Cannot delete pdfshell.dll: Access is denied. Make sure the disk is not full or write-protected and that the file is not currently in use." Then I clicked OK to get rid of the message. I have no Earthly idea what "full/write-protected" means, and I can only GUESS that this file was not in use at the time as I did not have any pdf's open on my machine...do you have any suggestions as to how I should proceed from this point?

Thanks..
    edited December 2008
    edited December 2008
    Thrax beat me to it.
  • edited December 2008
    Hello..thank you for supplying me with the Unlocker tool. I used it on the Adobe folder in C:\My Computer\Local Disk\Program Files, and the folder was subsequently deleted. Then I followed steps 4 through 6 (reboot--ran CCleaner registry cleaner--reboot) and arrived at step 7: I tried using the Uninstall tool in CCleaner to uninstall Adobe Reader 7.0.8, but during the uninstallation, I received the same error message I received in the very beginning:

*****ADOBE READER 7.0.8

Error 1402. Could not open key HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\Software\Classes\CLSID\{C523F39 <WBR>F-9C83-11D3-9094-00104BD0D535}\Programmable.

Verify that you have sufficient access to that key, or contact your support personnel.*****

What do I do now? This is somewhat of an emergency, as right now I cannot open any pdf files on my computer (I guess due to the fact that I deleted the Adobe folder using Unlocker)..

Thanks so much..
    edited December 2008
    Looks like your going to have to remove that entry through regedit then.

go to start run and type in regedit
    then browse through they key index to the one referenced and delete that key.
  • edited December 2008
    Hi Kryyst...well, I backed up my registry and then tried to delete the exact key that I referenced earlier. When I clicked "delete", a message came saying "are you sure you want to delete this key and all of its subkeys?"..I then clicked "Yes." Then, I got an error message saying the following:

*****ERROR DELETING KEY
    Cannot delete Programmable: Error while deleting key.*****

What shall I do now? Do I need to do something with the "Permissions" for this key?

Thanks..
    edited December 2008
    Now I'm getting to the point where I have to say Hmmm..... There shouldn't normally be any permissions on a key and if there is - if you do in fact have full admin rights you'd have the permissions to delete it.
  • edited December 2008
    Hi Kryyst...well, this situation has left me feeling utterly confused. I just posted my problem and the steps I have taken thus far in the Adobe forums...There does seem to be some troubleshooting step involving editing the permissions for the registry key, but this was listed as a possible solution when you're trying to INSTALL Adobe, not necessarily UNINSTALL it...

Thanks
    edited December 2008
    A lot of keys, especially CLSIDs are locked even from administrators until an administrator right clicks on that key, hits permissions, and checks "full control" for the admin account.
  • edited December 2008
    Hi...well, today I received some piece of advice from someone in the Adobe forums. He said to run something called the "Microsoft Installer Cleanup Utility." Does this sound right to you? Will it help to COMPLETELY remove Adobe Reader 7.0.8 so that I can then proceed to try to install the version 9?

Thanks to anyone with advice..
    edited December 2008
    Can't hurt. It's a good program that might help.
  • edited December 2008
    Hi..I went ahead and ran the Windows Installer Cleanup Utility. I used it to remove "Adobe Reader 7.0.8." After doing this, I checked in "Add/Remove Programs" in the Control Panel to make sure that AR 7.0.8 was gone, and it thankfully was. Then I deleted the WICU, ran CCleaner's registry cleaner, rebooted, and tried to install Adobe Reader 9.0. When I tried this, I got the following error message (this occurred during the time when the installer was "writing system registry values"):

****ADOBE READER 9 INSTALLER INFORMATION Error 1402. Could not open key: HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\Software\Classes\CLSID\{C523F39 F-9C83-11D3-9094-00104BD0D535}\ProgID.

What should I do now? Do I need to do something about the "permissions" for this key?

Thanks to anyone with advice...<!--end msg-->
    edited December 2008
    Instead of using regedit use regedt32 find the key they mentioned right click on it and check the permissions to make sure you've got access to it.
    edited December 2008
    Go to the Assigning Permissions to a Registry Key section. Go down to step 4 and follow the second bullet point for the registry key that keeps giving you an error.

After that, try installing Acrobat again. If that doesn't work, delete the key and try again.
  • edited December 2008
    Hi Thrax...thanks so much for your instructions. I tried following the directions in the link you provided, but it did not seem to work. I was not able to allow full control for the key in question (and the box which is supposed to list "groups or user names" above the "full control" option was totally empty). But somebody on the Adobe forums provided me with the following link which is supposed to address my issue:

http://kb.adobe.com/selfservice/viewContent.do?externalId=329137

He told me to follow the instructions in "Solution 2." So I did, and I got as far as step 6. That step says to "verify that the administrators and SYSTEM is present and that full control is selected under the Allow column." But my problem is that the box which is apparently supposed to contain the words "administrators" and "SYSTEM" just said "Everyone" instead.....you will be able to tell better what I'm talking about by viewing the above link. Do you think I can go ahead and proceed with step 7 and beyond? Or is this "everyone" listing a problem?

Thanks so much..
    edited December 2008
    Everyone means everyone so if everyone has full permissions then administrator does by default. You should be able continue with step 7.
  • edited December 2008
    Hi...thanks everyone for your help..I finally managed to install Adobe Reader 9! It seems like I just needed to make some changes to a particular registry key...that last link did the trick..

Thanks again