Deleting programs problem

edited December 2008 in Science & Tech
I honestly have no idea where to post this so I went to whatever said "general" and decided on that. I seem to be having a problem with deleting programs in relation to free space. I currently have 48%. A few weeks ago I decided to start deleting some stuff because it said I had 51% free space. I went on a "deleting tear" and deleted everything that add/remove programs said I didn't use at all. Some were sizable, some were negligible. With each program that I deleted, the amount of free space I had on my computer went down! Soon I was down to 48% and I hadn't even noticed. I ran disk defrag thinking that should cure it. The same results. I decided to hold off on deleting anything else. I deleted most of the biggest programs and files I had on my computer (at least 4 or 5 GBs worth of stuff). Like I said, instead of gaining 4 GBs of free space, I actually lost a number of MBs. I also checked the recycling bin to make sure it wasn't still there. I don't know what is going on with this...does it make any sense to anyone? Thanks!

One side note. In my deleting binge I deleted Microsoft Net Framework 2.0 because it said I never used it. I have since managed to reinstall it. I am pretty sure I had this problem before deleting Framework because it was in the middle of what I was deleting. Just wanted to put that info out there incase it raised any red flags. Thanks again. You guys rock!

Comments

• ThraxThrax 🐌 Austin, TX Icrontian
    edited December 2008
    Get a program called SpaceMonger and take a screenshot of the results for your hard drive. Post it in this thread.
  • edited December 2008
    here's a stupid question...how do you take a screenshot of your computer?
  • edited December 2008
    New development. Running the "Space MOnger" program showd me some things that were on my hard drive that I didn't know were on my computer. I deleted a whole mess of things and it freed up a ton of space. It actually says I have 83% free space now. The problem before still strikes me as odd, but just wanted to let you know about this latest development. I'm guessing its probably a non-issue now, but I'd be more than happy to post the screen shot. Like I said, I still have no idea why I'd of lost free space for deleting programs before. Thanks for the help...that Space MOnger program helped me see what I have on this computer!
  • ThraxThrax 🐌 Austin, TX Icrontian
    edited December 2008
  • edited December 2008
    I can't seem to do it. I clicked the print screen and it didn't work. I tried the "alt + print screen" and nothing came up. I asked my brother to take a screen shot for me and he said he doesn't know whats wrong with it. Was there another way? Sorry.
  • kryystkryyst Ontario, Canada
    edited December 2008
    Let try the most basic screen capture.

Hit your Print Screen button.

Open up Microsoft Paint

Hit CTRL+V
  • RyderRyder Kalamazoo, Mi Icrontian
    edited December 2008
    Just as an aside.. sometimes it is "Shift PrtScrn" on some keyboards.
  • edited December 2008
    The problem isn't finding the "Prt scrn" button, the problem is making it work. I hit it and nothing comes up. I tried holding alt and pressing it...no luck. I tried holding shift and pressing it and no luck there either. I also tried holding ctrl and that didnt work. I don't know why it won't do anything but I press it and nothing happens.