DVD Player doesn't read DVDs

edited December 2008 in Hardware
My DVD player doesn't read DVDs. I got a new DVD game for the computer and it doesn't read it. The older version works fine, but it didn't say it was a "PC DVD." I also tried movies on the computer and they don't work. What can I do to fix this? My brother said I'd have to re-do my driver...idk what that would entail. Is there another option? Thanks!

Oh, the problem is that it just doesn't read the disc in it. The autoplay thing sounds like it is starting and nothing comes up. I click on the disc drive in explore and it doesn't show any disc in it. Thanks guys...Merry Christmas!

Comments

• kryystkryyst Ontario, Canada
    edited December 2008
    Are you sure you have a DVD drive in your computer and not just a CD-rom? Is this a new problem or have you just never tried playing any DVD's in it before? The older version I'm guessing was probably a CD and not a DVD. The PC-DVD designation on the boxes is just a new thing to help distinguish between a DVD game for a PC or a DVD game for say XBOX.
  • edited December 2008
    It is definately a DVD drive. It says it right on the driver. It is a new computer I got last year. I used to be able to watch DVDs on it, but all of a sudden one day it wouldn't work anymore. I'm totally clueless.
  • edited December 2008
    I tried deleting and reinstalling my drive and it was not successful.

A few system specs. Compaq laptop computer. Windows XP. 2 year old computer. DVD writer capabilities.

I used to be able to use DVDs on it. Honestly, I think the problem started last November. I was on a plane flight and all of a sudden the computer wouldn't read the DVDs I just put in. I suppose I never tried to use a DVD in it since, so I never thought about it again. The drive spins when I put the DVD in and it sounds like it is revving up to work, but it just comes up blank. I tried the game in 2 other computers and it works perfectly. My system meets all the requirements for the game to run. I'm lost. Thanks for the help and Merry Christmas!
  • bullzisniprbullzisnipr Topeka, KS
    edited December 2008
    This is actually a common problem amongst Compaq laptops. I'm not sure what happens, but something with the dvd-rom and operating system goes haywire. We've had 3 or 4 at work with this same exact problem. We tried updating drivers, firmware updates, even different drives to no avail. Simply what it came down to was reloading XP. If it doesn't work at that point, you most likely have hardware failure.
  • edited December 2008
    ok. Thank you. I had a friend look at it pretty extensively and he came to the same conclusion. I think he said he was going to try to put linux on my computer and see if that worked. Thanks for the help again.