Windows 7 open beta

1235»

Comments

• KometeKomete Member
    edited January 2009
    An important thing I know about installing multiple OS's is to install the oldest first and work your way to the newer. I learned that lesson the hard way.
  • TroganTrogan London, UK
    edited January 2009
    Newb time! I have Windows 7 installed, but no dual boot with Vista.

This is what I did:
    - Changend the boot order in BIOS to CD/DVD drive.
    - During installation I selected the "Custom" option (second option, not first)
    - Then selected C: as the drive for Windoes 7 to be installed
    - Installation formatted C: and installed Windows 7
    - This is where I am now. On Windows 7 and no Vista.

So what did I do wrong? Not much was on the laptop so I'm willing to start over and try again.

Thanks guys.
  • ThraxThrax 🐌 Austin, TX Icrontian
    edited January 2009
    You forgot to make a new partition from the free space.
  • SnarkasmSnarkasm Madison, WI Icrontian
    edited January 2009
    You uh... formatted your C drive.

If you put the disc in while Vista's running, it'll do everything correctly, haha.
    edited January 2009
    Was wondering why I hadn't seen that option. How do I do the partition? As I just selected the C: and clicked Next.

Also, it is the Custom option I want rather than the Upgrade option?
    edited January 2009
    Yes.
    edited January 2009
    All sorted now! Got Windows 7 on a 25GB partition with Vista still on the C:.
  • Your-Amish-DaddyYour-Amish-Daddy The heart of Texas
    edited January 2009
    So yeah, I can't use Windows 7 anyway. My SCSI controller isn't supported.
  • panzerkwpanzerkw New York City
    edited February 2009
    Installed the Windows 7 64 bit beta on my box last night

Flight Simulator X gives an error at the end of installation, so it does not finish the installation correctly. This causes Acceleration expansion to not detect it and then it won't install. The Simulator DOES run fine though.

Steam installed fine, Rome Total:War is CTDing more often. Fallout 3 runs great, had a 2 hour game session earlier with no crashes.

City of Heroes is a graphic mess. I'm going to try swapping in my Nvidia 8800 (I'm running a 4870HD now)when RC1 comes out to see if that helps at all. Other than that the OS has been rock solid and it hasn't crashed or given any sort of serious error. I like having all my 4GB of RAM available. I just hope Creative and ATi gets off their ass and bring out some good drivers once the RC1 goes out.
  • KometeKomete Member
    edited February 2009
    Nice Z Panzerkw.

Back to topic. Can you run an install of 32bit vista and a 64bit win7? I'm thinking no, because vista32 wouldn't be able to read the dvd for win7 64bit.
    edited February 2009
    Yes you can.
  • Mt_GoatMt_Goat Head Cheezy Knob Pflugerville (north of Austin) Icrontian
    edited February 2009
    I now have 3 rigs running like champs on 7. Just loaded the 64 bit on my media rig w/ Asus P5Q Pro, Q9300, 4GB G. Skill 8500, 2x HD4830.

So far, anything I have had a problem with has been remedied by running in compatibility mode as Vista or XP PRO. Other than that it's just minor stuff that I can live with.
  • AlexDeGruvenAlexDeGruven Wut? Meechigan Icrontian
    edited February 2009
    I've been really tempted to throw this on my main machine. I'll probably wait 'till RC1 hits, since it's been announced already. I have a spare HDD, E7200, and 8GB of RAM just waiting for some sweet Win7_x64 goodness.
    edited February 2009
    RC1 probably won't be a public release, just MSDN, TAP and TechNet subscribers.
  • airbornflghtairbornflght Houston, TX Icrontian
    edited February 2009
    do you think it will come out for the MSDNA too?

btw, the dl is slow as all get out. I'm putting it on my laptop because I can afford to mess it up as nothing important is on it.
  • mertesnmertesn I am Bobby Miller Yukon, OK Icrontian
    edited February 2009
    do you think it will come out for the MSDNA too?
    If you're referring to the MSDN Academic Alliance, then no. That program is designed to provide students with the software they require for their chosen academic field. Windows 7 does not fit the bill.
  • ZuntarZuntar North Carolina Icrontian
    edited February 2009
    I just got my Raptor back from RMA, Win 7 is going on it asap.

No duel boot, just gonna choose which drive at teh boot time.
  • ZuntarZuntar North Carolina Icrontian
    edited February 2009
    First impression, very nice!! No sound driver so far for the XFI, saw my TV card though.

Win7/64
  • HawkHawk Fla Icrontian
    edited February 2009
    Thought I'd post this, in case someone else has the same problem.
    Win 7 32bit picked up/ recognized all my hardware and installed drivers for them except I couldn't get it to recognize my Radeon PowerColor HD 3850 512MB GDDR3 AGP.
    After trial & error and researching a bit I found ATI Catalyst 9.1 Display Driver for Windows Vista (32 bit). worked. There is a 64 bit & Linux version too.
    ATI Catalyst 9.1
    And the Catalys 8.12 AGP Hotfix - Radeon HD 3000 and Radeon HD 2000 Series AGP products.
    Catalyst 8.12 AGP Hotfix
    I installed the hotfix first and then the 9.1's and it recognized the card in device manager/hardware monitor/ etc.
    Win 7 picked all up except the Mitsumi 7in1 Card Reader.
    It just read it as a floppy drive.
    Installed Steam, it runs no problem, installed 2forts but it fails to launch.
    It starts to load and then shuts off. I'm working on that one.
    Took a while to get used to the layout/start menu/control panel/ programs etc but I think I really like it.
    Programs that run great so far...
    ATI CCC 9.1 -- Foxit Reader--Firefox--CCleaner--Free Windows Registry repair--CPUID Hardware monitor--Auslogics Disk Defrag--Driver Sweeper--QuickZip4--Threatfire--Steam-- and working on tf2.
    Here's my pc specs.
    MSI K8TNeo MB/AMD Athlon 64 3400+ ClawHammer CPU /2250 MHz
    Corsair TX650W PS
    2X1G OCZ PC3200 (200 MHz) 2.5-3-2-5
    1X WD 36G SATA Raptor/1X WD 160G SATA
    NEC DVD_RW ND-3550
    Mitsumi 7in1 Card Reader
    ATI Radeon PowerColor HD 3850 AGP 512MB GDDR3
    DELL 2005FPW 21" Widescreen LCD
    Sound Blaster Audigy/Bose Media Mate speakers/Playtronics headset
    Logitech MX700 Duo KB/Mouse combo
    Logitech G5 gaming mouse
  • airbornflghtairbornflght Houston, TX Icrontian
    edited February 2009
    I'm running windows 7 64 and everything is running flawlessly on my laptop, even the wacom active digitizer, except for my fingerprint reader. Which had dodgy support in vista.
  • CallredCallred Maryville, tn
    edited February 2009
    I tried Daniel's beta drivers and set the card to SPDIF. After about an hour of listening to music with my son the sound began to buzz. Switching back and forth between standard output and SPDIF stopped it for awhile but it came back on and finally I actually got my first BSoD in 7. Back to the drawing board.
    edited February 2009
    New report. I formatted the drive using DBAN Nuke and Boot. Loaded stock drivers, then Daniel's betas. Surround is back and the Audigy seems to like them. I'm not using the SPDIF setting.

After loading nVidia's 181.22 Vista x64 drivers, all of my games are running fine. I think the trick was to get rid of any tell tale vestiges of old builds by writing zeros to the drive first.
    edited February 2009
  • edited February 2009
    In view of the problems that Vista has had I think I will wait until this has been released and thoroughly tested before I switch to Windows 7
    edited February 2009
    Ok. I'll enjoy it for a year or two while you're on a two-generation old OS.
  • KometeKomete Member
    edited February 2009
    Well I've finally installed a copy of win7 and I like it lots. I'd have to agree with those that say it is vista done right. Since I have been useing vista I found it a very natural transition. But it surprised me on how much faster everything seemed.

Anyhow, I came across this article about customizing desktops with widgets in win7 and will be giving it a go. http://lifehacker.com/5159056/the-sleek-wood-desktop Looks like a pretty smooth setup.
    edited February 2009
    Now that's just sweet, well thought out and frankly pretty cool. It's Microsoft Bob done right ;)
  • ButtersButters CA Icrontian
    edited August 2009
    Thrax wrote:
    Just an aside. I am preparing to write a comprehensive benchmark that will compare the following OSes:
    • Windows XP x86-32 SP3
    • Windows XP x86-64 SP2
    • Windows Vista x86-32 SP1
    • Windows Vista x86-64 SP1
    • Windows Vista x86-32 SP2 Beta
    • Windows Vista x86-64 SP2 Beta
    • Windows 7 Beta 1

They will be installed fresh from media with a slipstreamed service pack and no modifications.

Games:
    Crysis: Warhead
    FarCry 2
    Unreal Tournament 2008
    Fallout 3
    Half-Life 2
    Call of Duty 4

Synthetic:
    SuperPi 1/2/4/8/16/32m test
    3DMark Vantage
    PCMark Vantage
    SiSoft Sandra 2009 SP2 Processor Arithmetic
    SiSoft Sandra 2009 SP2 Cryptography
    SiSoft Sandra 2009 SP2 Memory Bandwidth
    SiSoft Sandra 2009 SP2 Memory Latency
    1/2/4/8/16/32/64/128 I/O IOMeter File Server
    HD Tune
    HD Tach
    ATTO

Multimedia:
    x264 Encoding
    Cinebench R10
    CDA to 192-320Kbps VBR MP3 (LAME)
    DVD Ripping
    MPEG2 to XViD
    8 Photoshop filters to a 7680x1600 PNG

Productivity:
    100MB/1GB/10GB WinRAR maximum compression
    100MB/1GB/10GB WinRAR extraction
    100MB/1GB/10GB Windows ZIP compression
    100MB/1GB/10GB Windows ZIP extraction
    100MB/1GB/10GB disk to disk transfer
    100MB/1GB/10GB network transfer
    CD/DVD burn time
    OS install time
    OS boot time
    OS shut down time
    8GB Avast! virus scan of compressed files

and maybe some other shit I can drag up.

I'm looking for the article, is this around?
    edited August 2009
    Unfortunately, due to EULA limitations in the release candidate and the beta, this article could never be produced. I intend to revisit it around the time the OS is released.