Synching Folders

McBainMcBain San Clemente, CA New
edited February 2009 in Science & Tech
Hi -

Looking for an good automatic folder syncing utility that will keep my music folders from my home computer and my laptop synced. I want my music available on both locations for both backup, and traveling purposes.

Any thoughts?

Thanks.

Chuck

Comments

• mas0nmas0n howdy Icrontian
    edited February 2009
    SyncToy

Define pairs of folders, set a schedule or sync manually. One or two-way sync. Easy.
  • ArmoArmo Mr. Nice Guy Is Dead,Only Aqua Remains Member
    edited February 2009
    good sync or create your own batch file using Robocopy thats how i make backups of my workstations at work, somthing like this:

robocopy "\\Machine1\Share1" "\\machine2\folder2" /MIR /TEE /XX /ETA /R:3 /W:2
  • chrisWhitechrisWhite Littleton, CO
    edited February 2009
    I really really love SyncBack for this, I've been using it for years and it's awesome. It's not quite as easy to use as SyncToy but it's much more powerful and it's extremely fast. I think they have a free version as well.
  • RichDRichD Essex, UK
    edited February 2009
    mas0n wrote:
    SyncToy

Define pairs of folders, set a schedule or sync manually. One or two-way sync. Easy.

I use this for exact;y the use you describe. I also sync my documents and use it to back stuff up onto a second HD. Works a treat. Only flaw I have found is that you cant schedule the synchronisation.
  • mas0nmas0n howdy Icrontian
    edited February 2009
    RichD wrote:
    I use this for exact;y the use you describe. I also sync my documents and use it to back stuff up onto a second HD. Works a treat. Only flaw I have found is that you cant schedule the synchronisation.

You most certainly can. Schedule a task within windows to run the SyncToy executable and flag it with the name of your Paired folders or just -R to sync all Pairs. There are instructions on how to do this under Help.

:cheers:
  • RichDRichD Essex, UK
    edited February 2009
    mas0n wrote:
    You most certainly can. Schedule a task within windows to run the SyncToy executable and flag it with the name of your Paired folders or just -R to sync all Pairs. There are instructions on how to do this under Help.

:cheers:

Cool.

I did think about playing with the windows scheduler but I thought that would just run the app and not start the sync. Ill have a play later.

Cheers
  • chrisWhitechrisWhite Littleton, CO
    edited February 2009
    Yeah, it's pretty easy to do, just requires you to leave SyncToy but scheduler is pretty intuitive.