Xbox 360 & PC Headset

chrisWhitechrisWhite Littleton, CO
edited December 2010 in Gaming
Alright, I searched and I read the threads and found some nice headsets for the Xbox and a lot more made for the PC but what I wasn't sure about is which headsets would work well with both. I don't care about surround sound and I really want a headset that plugs straight into the Xbox or Computer instead of going through another box that clutters up my desk. What I do want is decent sound, no crappy digital noises like my current pair and decent audio levels for Xbox live communication. Any suggestions?

Bonus question, I'm going to be getting a decent mic for screen casts and potentially for podcasting, I think I'm going to start at the cheap end with an AKG Perception 120 condenser mic, with the right adapters you couldn't plug this into an Xbox controller, could you?

Comments

• chrisWhitechrisWhite Littleton, CO
    edited February 2009
    *Continues reading older threads*

You can't plug a Sennheiser PC-350 into the Xbox, right? Or does it support USB headsets?
  • kryystkryyst Ontario, Canada
    edited February 2009
    The xbox is fairly picky about what it'll support through it's USB ports in terms of mic's and headsets.

As for using adapters to plug it into the controller I don't believe that will work as most headset/mic combos use two plugs for the audio out and the mic in and the xbox headset uses a combi plug and smaller then normal one at that.

Is there a reason why you don't want to just use the default xbox headset? It's not the best but it's better then others that I've tried.

As for podcasts I picked up a set logitec ones for around $50, I can't remember the model off the top of my head. But I went through about 4 other headset/mic combinations before and they all sucked, some where rather cheap $20 sets another was a microsoft one in the same price range as the logitec and another was a blue tooth. They all sucked bad sound, hissing, picked up to much ambient noise etc...

The logitec ones though are perfect. Excellent ambient noise dampning and picks up your voice perfectly.

edit: just found the set I've got. They are Logitech (981-000010) Clear Chat Pro USB Headset w/Mic. Fantastic.
    edited February 2009
    Thanks Kryyst!

Yeah, I definitely want a full headset with good headphones and a decent mic for playing without using the speakers and bothering the other people in my house (who are usually sleeping when I find time to play) and I don't think that headset actually works well underneath a pair of headphones ;-)

The 360 is a pain in the butt with anything USB, wish it would support more stuff, I really wish it would let me play with a keyboard and mouse, but I understand why they don't.

Thanks for the podcasting headset suggestions, I'll check them out.
  • kryystkryyst Ontario, Canada
    edited February 2009
    Yeah you are kinda in a bind if you want to get the headset conversations and the game audio over a headset at the same time. It's not a practical possibility.
    edited February 2009
    Well, the way I do it now is setup the Live communication to output on both the headset and the speakers which works more-or-less great. Right now I have a 5.1 headset that I just need to adjust the center channel to hear people well, but I get tons of electronic noise through it. Something similar, without the noise would be perfect.
  • Sledgehammer70Sledgehammer70 California Icrontian
    edited February 2009
    I got myself the Gamecom 777 headset from Plantronics. I had to get an adapter for the xbox 360 but the dolby digital chip and these headset just own :)

Not to mention they are comfortable to.

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16826265066&Tpk=gamecom%20777
    edited February 2009
    What kind of adapter do those need?
  • Sledgehammer70Sledgehammer70 California Icrontian
    edited February 2009
    i just bought the ones that come with a Turtle Beach headset :)
    edited February 2009
    Nice, I'll check it out. Has anyone used the Astro A40 being advertised here and raved about all over the place?
  • drasnordrasnor Starship Operator Hawthorne, CA Icrontian
    edited February 2009
    The 360 controllers will accept any standard 2.5mm mono headset like the kinds marketed as hands-free for cordless phones, 2-way radios, and some cell phones. I use a surplus Plantronics call center headset. It won't deliver game audio though, just voice chat.

-drasnor :fold:
  • edited March 2009
    The USB ports on the XBOX 360 have nothing to do with mics or headsets. They are only for power, I believe.

If you're looking for headsets, go to www.turtlebeach.com. I have the X1, X3, and X4--they're all excellent and easy to use. You can find these as Best Buy.

The Astro headset is $250, so that's probably WAYYYYYY too expensive for most gamers. I have it and can tell you that sound-wise, the Turtle Beach X4 is definitely superior. Plus, the X4 is wireless, whereas the Astro setup is wired. Kinda doesn't make sense. The only people who I have seen "rave" about an Astro is the people who actually spend $250 to get it. Well, I have it and there's really nothing special to say.

You cannot connect a PC headset such as Sennheiser's PC350 to an XBOX because there is nothing to drive the speakers.
  • drasnordrasnor Starship Operator Hawthorne, CA Icrontian
    edited March 2009
    HypeNotiq wrote:
    The USB ports on the XBOX 360 have nothing to do with mics or headsets. They are only for power, I believe.
    You believe incorrectly. They are full-spec USB 2.0 ports and can be used to connect any kind of USB hardware that the 360 knows how to talk to. This includes USB mass storage devices, certain USB wireless adapters, the 360 HD-DVD drive, and apparently certain USB headsets.

• edited March 2009
    drasnor wrote:
    You believe incorrectly. They are full-spec USB 2.0 ports and can be used to connect any kind of USB hardware that the 360 knows how to talk to. This includes USB mass storage devices, certain USB wireless adapters, the 360 HD-DVD drive, and apparently certain USB headsets.

I stand corrected--though only partially. The USB ports have nothing to do with the mic because that is routed through the controller. The Xbox 360 does not have any setting that allows the mic to be sent through the USB. (Only the PS3 does). All mics must be connected to the Xbox controller (either wireless or wired).

Hence, neither a USB mic nor headset can be used on the Xbox 360.
  • SoLoSoLo DirtySouth, USA
    edited March 2009
    there a some adapters on ebay that allow you to plug in a normal PC headset to the xbox 360 controller. I have yet to try one but plan on getting on soon. Im currently using a SmackTalk device for the xbox 360 controller that with the right cable/slitter allows me to talk in TeamSpeak(PC) and on xbox live using only one headset. Only problem is the people on Live can hear whats going on in Teamspeak.. o0

XBO-ADP001_e.JPG
  • edited May 2010
    I know this is a VERY old post, but too people like me googling the question and then coming onto here, heres the answer:

SteelSeries Xbox Headset Connector

http://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B001FSKK2O/ref=ord_cart_shr?ie=UTF8&m=A1UQ4F1GL6W7

This basically lets you connect any stereo headset that you use for your PC, into your xbox.

Technical Details

Colour: Black
    • Use any stereo headset for your Xbox 360
    • Easy installation

Manufacturer's Description

The SteelSeries Xbox 360 Headset Connector makes it possible to use standard stereo PC headsets on your Xbox 360, while using your headsets' microphone. to speak with your friends on Xbox Live.
    Below is a small step-by-step guide that will help you setup the Headset Connector:
    1. Attach the SteelSeries Xbox 360 Headset Connector to your Xbox 360 controller.
    2. Connect your stereo headset to SteelSeries Xbox 360 Headset Connector.
    3. Connect the SteelSeries Xbox 360 Headset Connector to your TVs headphone jack.
    4. On the Xbox 360 controller, press the Xbox Guide Button and enter.
    5. Choose "Personal Settings", select "Voice" and set "Voice Output" to "Play Through Speakers".
    The SteelSeries Xbox 360 Headset Connector is available in both black and white.
  • edited May 2010
    chris102 wrote:
    I know this is a VERY old post, but too people like me googling the question and then coming onto here, heres the answer:

SteelSeries Xbox Headset Connector

http://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B001FSKK2O/ref=ord_cart_shr?ie=UTF8&m=A1UQ4F1GL6W7

This basically lets you connect any stereo headset that you use for your PC, into your xbox.

Technical Details

Colour: Black
    • Use any stereo headset for your Xbox 360
    • Easy installation

Manufacturer's Description

The SteelSeries Xbox 360 Headset Connector makes it possible to use standard stereo PC headsets on your Xbox 360, while using your headsets' microphone. to speak with your friends on Xbox Live.
    Below is a small step-by-step guide that will help you setup the Headset Connector:
    1. Attach the SteelSeries Xbox 360 Headset Connector to your Xbox 360 controller.
    2. Connect your stereo headset to SteelSeries Xbox 360 Headset Connector.
    3. Connect the SteelSeries Xbox 360 Headset Connector to your TVs headphone jack.
    4. On the Xbox 360 controller, press the Xbox Guide Button and enter.
    5. Choose "Personal Settings", select "Voice" and set "Voice Output" to "Play Through Speakers".
    The SteelSeries Xbox 360 Headset Connector is available in both black and white.

This is NOT a good option at all, unless you have an external amplifier for the stereo headset that you'll be using.

What the Steel Series cable does is allow you to connect the mic in a stereo PC headset to the Xbox controller and the speakers to the Xbox audio. The mic will work fine, but with the actual game audio you will either need additional cables or a headphone amplifier.

With that in mind, it is less expensive to purchase a Turtle Beach X1 since that comes with all of the necessary cables AND has a built in amplifier. It's powered from a USB connector to the Xbox.
  • edited December 2010
    Since it seems like this thread is open to epic bumps, I'll chime in.
    HypeNotiq wrote:
    This is NOT a good option at all, unless you have an external amplifier for the stereo headset that you'll be using.
    I kind of agree with HypeNotiq on this. It depends on what game you'll be playing though. For example, some games (Halo Reach) are crazy loud and connecting directly to the Xbox 360's audio out works just fine. Other games (COD:MW2) are unbearably quiet and you won't be able to hear jack sh*te.
    HypeNotiq wrote:
    With that in mind, it is less expensive to purchase a Turtle Beach X1 since that comes with all of the necessary cables AND has a built in amplifier. It's powered from a USB connector to the Xbox.
    While a Turtle Beach X1 (X11s now since the X1s have been discontinued) is superior to the SteelSeries adapter, there is now a viable alternative. There are these things called Xjacker kits that are designed to adapt your PC headset into a full-fledged Xbox 360 headset. And they have an amped version of that kit (also powered via your Xbox 360's usb port) for only $20 or so. So your PC headset (free) plus that $20 kit would definitely be cheaper than a $60 pair of X11s.