Best all around Codec Pack

DareDare SD
edited February 2009 in Science & Tech
Everytime I get a codec pack, it seems it comes with another few problems.

I was wondering what codec packs you guys recommend for general use?

Comments

• LeonardoLeonardo Wake up and smell the glaciers Eagle River, Alaska Icrontian
    edited February 2009
    K-Lite
  • BlackHawkBlackHawk Bible music connoisseur There's no place like 127.0.0.1 Icrontian
    edited February 2009
    Although for videos I use GOM Player, I liked using CCCP.
  • drasnordrasnor Starship Operator Hawthorne, CA Icrontian
    edited February 2009
    CCCP. The integration is excellent and it's easy to install, update, and remove without trashing your system.

-drasnor :fold:
  • SnarkasmSnarkasm Madison, WI Icrontian
    edited February 2009
    Third for CCCP.
  • edited February 2009
    if i re-install Windows, I download K-Lite pack, and forget :)
  • chrisWhitechrisWhite Littleton, CO
    edited February 2009
    Hmm, I usually just install xvid and VLC. Even do it on lab computers with students throwing all kinds of crap at VLC and it plays almost everything without a problem
  • ThraxThrax 🐌 Austin, TX Icrontian
    edited February 2009
    I dislike codec packs. I think they install too many codecs that are largely meaningless to users.

You really only need a few:

QuickTime Lite
    XViD
    DiVX
    AC3 Filter
    OGG Directshow

That should take care of damn near anything.
  • RWBRWB Icrontian
    edited February 2009
    I've always used CCCP but I think I am gonna go the Thrax way on this and see how it goes as it's true there's a lot you won't touch unless you do alot of work with them all. BTW does those codecs support MKV Thrax?
  • ThraxThrax 🐌 Austin, TX Icrontian
    edited February 2009
    MKV is just a container format. It contains any codec inside of it. Most MKV files are XViD or H264, both of which will be supported by the codecs I've listed.

That said, it's also important to have a good player. I prefer Media Player Classic, but others support VLC. Either way, one of these two is essential.
  • kryystkryyst Ontario, Canada
    edited February 2009
    One nice thing with VLC is that you don't need to install codec's for VLC. Just install VLC and your done if all you want is playback through VLC.
    edited February 2009
    kryyst wrote:
    One nice thing with VLC is that you don't need to install codec's for VLC. Just install VLC and your done if all you want is playback through VLC.

Yep, that's it exactly. I use VLC for everything but Quicktime but I install XVID on lab machines since some people prefer WMP but anything else and I'll just tell them to use VLC.
    edited February 2009
    Oh, so what do you guys use for DVD decoding? I know Vista comes with it built in but XP and Server 2008 don't, I usually just fire up VLC for DVDs but I have noticed some deinterlacing poo on some DVDs.
    edited February 2009
    CCCP isn't really a codec pack either. All it has is the most current build of FFDShow (the same engine that powers VLC), a container splitter (Haali), and a subtitle renderer (DirectVobSub). The bonus is that I can use whatever DShow-capable media player I want instead of just being limited to one player.

• RichDRichD Essex, UK
    edited February 2009
    I recently had preoblems with k-lite. I tried to download and the first page which appeared to be the K-Lite home page wanted me to register before I downloaded. I then found another mirror site and when I downloaded it Avira came up with a warning that the pack contained a trojan!

I think I am with Thrax as well that it is better to just download the ones you need.

As an asside is it possible to tell what codec has been used to compress a file if you don't have the codec installed?
  • RichDRichD Essex, UK
    edited February 2009
    chrisWhite wrote:
    Oh, so what do you guys use for DVD decoding? I know Vista comes with it built in but XP and Server 2008 don't, I usually just fire up VLC for DVDs but I have noticed some deinterlacing poo on some DVDs.

Vista home basic doesn't. You have to have premium.
    edited February 2009
    RichD wrote:
    As an asside is it possible to tell what codec has been used to compress a file if you don't have the codec installed?
    Read the file's FourCC tag with a reader like GSpot.

edited February 2009
    RichD wrote:
    Vista home basic doesn't. You have to have premium.

Oh, gotcha

So any suggestions
    edited February 2009
    I've used CCCP with any number of media players for DVD playback (FFDShow includes everything you need). However, on most of my machines I've changed the decoder priority to favor the Nero DVD decoder included in most versions of Nero Burning ROM since it can interface with my nVidia graphics cards' PureVideoHD features.

• DareDare SD
    edited February 2009
    Robert: I've got a million old animes fancoded in a million different formats. Its a PITA trying to find some of them, I swear.

I tried both K-lite, and CCCP.
    K-lite was.. odd. And it didnt work very well with GOM player, from my experience.

CCCP, I havent had a problem with yet. So, IMHO, CCCP.