Slow computer

My computer has been going really slow. I attributed it to only having 512MB of system memory. I added another GB to the computer and things really started going faster. It's been a month or 2 later and things are slowing down nearly to a crawl sometimes. I have a few questions...sort of problem solving.

1. I've got 59% free space. Would this slow it down?
2. Is 1.512 GB enough?
3. Does WinPatrol cause some real pauses when it does something? I wonder if thats what it is.
4. Would Windows Defender slow down a computer noticebly like this?

It seems to take shifts about dragging and just going slow. Are there any tips or tricks I can try? I have Spybot, AVG, win patrol and spyware blaster (the whole 9 yards) and they all say I'm clean. I recently did disk cleanup and defrag. Thanks for the help.

Frank Ciccone II

Comments

• ThraxThrax 🐌 Austin, TX Icrontian
    edited February 2009
    Are all of those programs running at the same time?
  • edited February 2009
    Well, by running if you mean monitoring then yes. If you mean scanning then no. I have the auto scans set to go for overnight in shifts.
    edited February 2009
    That is a massive cause for all your slowdowns. You need to uninstall all of them and pick one of them, if you must, but I earnestly recommend running with no anti-spyware application until you notice something is amiss. Preemptive spyware protection is does not work. It is maybe 10% effective, and I can show you spyware that would cluster**** a system no matter how many applications you have installed.
  • edited February 2009
    What should I keep on my computer and what should I delete then? I have online banking so I want to be very careful about stuff. I also have Comodo. I find that quite aggrivating more often than not, but I figure it's rather important. So yea...what one should I keep? lol. Thanks for the help.
    edited February 2009
    I strongly, strongly recommend that you only run with virus protection (Avast! is a great choice). If you have a router in your home, you can uninstall Comodo because the router is already a firewall.

So that is to say: uninstall comodo (if applicable), every spyware app you have, and any AV program you have. Install Avast! and then be careful where you go.

You won't get your bank account jacked by any new spyware, but it's possible that it can happen via viruses. The difference between the two is increasingly subtle, but keyloggers are still virus territory.
    edited February 2009
    Here's a good link about Anti-Virus applications. The worlds best AV app has a 50% detection rate. 50%!

Think about that. If that's the best the world has to offer, and preemptive anti-spyware applications are in a much worse state, how effective can active spyware protection really be?

In the world of spyware prevention, the single best protection is caution. I've been running a virus/spyware protection-free PC for 15 years, and my PC has been clean for 15 years. These types of infections don't just magically pop over the internet. You have to do something that puts them on your system. If you can be careful about where you go, you'll never ever have an issue.
  • edited February 2009
    excellent. I appreciate that. The sites I visit are typically limited to the same few every day so I'm 100% with you that it shouldn't be a problem. The only potential problem is when you search something...you can't always be sure of teh results on teh list...and wiki isn't always useful...lol. Alas though, Avast! it is. Thanks for the help.
    edited February 2009
    :) No problem. If you still have speed issues after uninstallations, we can get it all cleaned up and runnin' smooth with the quickness.
  • edited February 2009
    I've encountered one problem. I can't uninstall AVG. When I do it through add/remove programs or through AVG Uninstaller it says this:
    Local machine: installation failed
    Installation:
    Error: Action failed for registry key HKLM\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows NT\CurrentVersion\Windows: creating registry key....
    Error 0x80070005

When I tried to delete each file individually, it wouldn't let me saying "access is denied." I know having AVG and Avast on my computer will be quite counterproductive, so I can't really measure speed until AVG is gone. Hopefully the last bit of help I need. Thanks!
  • RichDRichD Essex, UK
    edited February 2009
    You cant delete the files because they are still running in memory. The problem indicated in the message is not file related but registry related. You may wish to try to uninstall in safe mode. I would not recommend you do a manual uninstall.

I have had a quick look and I can't find a munual uninstall guide.

On the firewall front check out the shields up site. This will test your security and report back any flaws you have. You can change the config on your router and you should be able to make yourself completey secure if your default setting don't. Let us know if you want any advice.

In my opinion I would keep hold of spybot but disable teatimer. Spybot will modify your local host file to block a list of known urls. Obviously you can't block every url but it helps to use the imunisation and unless you enable tea timer you shouldn't notice too much of a drop in performance
  • edited February 2009
    when your computer starts to slow down, did you check the task manager to learn which process is taking a lot of CPU or RAM? This may help to locate the problem sometimes.
  • edited February 2009
    here's a stupid question, but how do I start in safe mode? I thought it was f10 but thats a setup. I'm checking out that shields up sight now. Thanks!

Yes, I checked out the task manager...nothing seemed out of order. There actually wasn't too much over 10k...maybe 1-3 programs.
  • edited February 2009
    here's a stupid question, but how do I start in safe mode? I thought it was f10 but thats a setup. I'm checking out that shields up sight now. Thanks!

Yes, I checked out the task manager...nothing seemed out of order. There actually wasn't too much over 10k...maybe 1-3 programs.

You have to go to "processes tab" to see what happens to CPU and RAM load
  • edited February 2009
    About the AVG thing...it popped up with this error again even though I tried to uninstall it from safe mode:
    Error: Action failed for registry key HKLM\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows NT\CurrentVersion\Windows: creating registry key....
    Error 0x80070005

When I restarted in regular mode, a message popped up saying the liscense couldn't be verified. I'm guessing I deleted this when I searched for all files that said "AVG" and clicked delete. It asked if I wanted to reinstall or repair my installation. I tried because I figured it could be my way out and maybe I could delete it from there. I had no liscense though so I couldn't.

It is important to note that I had this error message BEFORE I tried to delete files and the liscense had an error so it shouldn't be that big a deal I'm guessing.

I can't seem to delete AVG though. I'm lost.
  • edited February 2009
    I just tried to go to the AVG website and download it again from there. No luck, it pops up with the same error message it had when I tried to uninstall it.
  • RichDRichD Essex, UK
    edited February 2009
    Are you saying that you have tried to download and re-install?
  • edited February 2009
    thats correct. I just used system restore to go back 2 days before I started all this changing around. I'll just keep AVG and avoid the headache I think. Having trouble deleting spybot though...ill try that in safe mode after work.
  • RichDRichD Essex, UK
    edited February 2009
    thats correct. I just used system restore to go back 2 days before I started all this changing around. I'll just keep AVG and avoid the headache I think. Having trouble deleting spybot though...ill try that in safe mode after work.

I don't like the way you use the term "delete" You should not delete software especially AV etc. It installs components all over your system. Often in your Windows directory. It also mods your system registry. If you just delete the folder you will confuse the hell out of your system as it thinks it has software installed which it doesn't and vice versa. They often have memory resident items which you cant delete until the process has been terminated. You MUST use the uninstaller or go through control panel add/remove programs. You can sometimes find manual uninstall guides from software vendors but AVG free is not supported so the documentation does not exist. I hate to say it but the more you "delete" stuff without using the propper uninstall the worse the condition of your system will become. This may be the reason why your PC is running so slowly in the first place. I am starting to think that the best course of action is a clean install.

If you cant uninstall AVG chances are it isn't installed correctly and isn't protecting your system.
  • edited February 2009
    I "went back in time" and did system recovery to a couple days ago. The whole "deleting" thing should be a non-factor now I'm hoping. I am just going to keep AVG and see if the computer runs any better with just AVG and WinPatrol installed.

Having trouble deleting SpyBot from my computer though. I am going to try to do it in safe mode. Interesting though, add/remove programs doesn't have it listed. It did before but it said it couldn't find the file and it removed it from the list.
  • RichDRichD Essex, UK
    edited February 2009
    Have you been playing in the registry?
  • LeonardoLeonardo Wake up and smell the glaciers Eagle River, Alaska Icrontian
    edited February 2009
    Download and install CCleaner, open it to the main program, select the "issues" icon, got to the bottom of the screen and click on the "Scan for Issues" button. Follow that by selecting the "Fix..." button. See if that helps.
  • edited March 2009
    I know this thread was presumed dead, but truth is I kind of forgot about things when I tried to install CCleaner and the new AVG. It turns out that I cannot install CCleaner because it says "error opening file for writing: C:\program files\ccleaner\ccleaner.exe"
    I tried to install the beta version but the same thing came up. Next I tried to install the trial version of AVG Pro Internet Security. It wouldn't download and it said "access is denied." I am the only user (and user name) on this computer and it is set to administrator.
    Finally, I encountered a problem with SpyBot S&D. I deleted it from my computer, or at least I thought. When I right click a file to click to open or play it, one of the options says "Scan with SpyBot S&D". Apparently I didn't get it all?

And in response to the earlier question about registry...no I haven't toyed with the registry. I actually wouldn't know how to if I was told to.
  • RichDRichD Essex, UK
    edited March 2009
    And in response to the earlier question about registry...no I haven't toyed with the registry. I actually wouldn't know how to if I was told to.

I all honesty this is probably the route of your problem. When you install software there are loads of modifications made to the registry. The Scan with Spybot menu item is added through there. When you UN-INSTALL a program the un-installer removes the program files and cleans the required registry entries.

If you have just deleted the program folder then Windows gets completely confused as the registry says that software is installed but the files no longer exist.

It sounds to me like you have several pieces of software that have not uninstalled correctly. My advice... Back up any critical data, wipe th HD and start again.
  • edited March 2009
    what if I just did a system restore to before I deleted SpyBot S&D? Things should be ok then right? I would just have to figure out a way to correctly uninstall SpyBot S&D.
  • edited March 2009
    The reason I am hesitant to just wipe everything out and restart is that I just recently moved and I don't have all the necessary CDs to reinstall things (including office 2007, my internet connection utility, webcam, etc...).
  • RichDRichD Essex, UK
    edited March 2009
    You could try. The only way to correctly uninstall is using control panel > Add remove programs or the program uninstaller.
  • edited March 2009
    I'll give that a shot. I usually go through Add/Remove programs. There must have been some reason it wouldn't delete if I did it the other way. We'll find out. I'm going to do it tomorrow when I wake up though so don't wait up for me tonight! lol. thanks!
  • LeonardoLeonardo Wake up and smell the glaciers Eagle River, Alaska Icrontian
    edited March 2009
    I'm going to do it tomorrow when I wake up though so don't wait up for me tonight! lol. thanks!
    Good call. We wouldn't want you to try the solutions while sleeping.
  • edited March 2009
    Ok...this is quite interesting. I cannot do a system restore. I tried 6 different dates to restore back to and none worked. They all said they could not restore to that date and told me to pick a different one or continue as is. I'm totally clueless on what to do next. Surely there has to be some way to do it other than wiping my harddrive clean and starting again.
  • edited March 2009
    The problem I had trying to download CCleaner I am having trying to download something else. The same error message popped up "error opening file for writing: C:\program files\bitlord\bitlord.exe" So apparently I cannot download programs to my computer. I can download file attachments from email that are word programs. Whats going on here? Can we fix this? Thanks!