Looking to get a laptop

FelixDeSouzeFelixDeSouze UK New
edited February 2009 in Hardware
Hi Guys,

I'm getting rid of my PC and getting a laptop so that I don't have to ship a PC to Australia.

I was looking at a DELL XPS but I'm not too sure of the range of laptops out there.. I'm looking to spend between £600 - £700 so if you can suggest a few make / models I'd appreciate it :)

Thanks

Comments

• FelixDeSouzeFelixDeSouze UK New
    edited February 2009
    http://www.ebuyer.com/product/150331

What you guy's think of that?
  • edcentricedcentric near Milwaukee, Wisconsin Icrontian
    edited February 2009
    What do you want to do with it? How big/portable do you want it?
    That one looks pretty hot.

I have been using Toshiba and HP exclusively for a few years now (5 lap tops) with no issues.
    Don't touch a Sony, too much proprietary stuff in them.
    edited February 2009
    I'm not really fussed about how portable it is or how big/small it is.. I'm getting rid of my PC and need a laptop to get to Australia.

I have a DELL PC at the mo and this seems to outspec the PC (apart from the CPU)..

It seems like a really good deal but I'm also torn between using the money from my PC to pay off my bills and then get a laptop, get the laptop and get rid of my bills as I am doing already OR use the money to get rid of bills and get the buy now pay in 9 months option.. As then I might be able to get rid of my bills and quickly pay off the laptop.

It's a pickle!!!
  • LeonardoLeonardo Wake up and smell the glaciers Eagle River, Alaska Icrontian
    edited February 2009
    get rid of bills and get the buy now pay in 9 months option
    You want to get rid of bills, take on debt (deferred), and move to another continent all in a short period of time?

Have you done ANY planning with REAL NUMBERS at all? It seems to me you are in some kind of fantasy. Wake up! If you want to grasp your dreams, you have to plan, sacrifice, and take actions. Since I respect you, I truly hope you do reach your dreams. Do you even have full time employment?

1. Calculate how much your move will cost
    1a. Research the cost of living where you wish to live; find out the employment market
    2. Build a cash reserve in case it takes you weeks or months to find a job (you know, lodging, eating, utilities...)
    3. Take care of bills/debts before you consider buying anything that's not required for life itself.

You can make dreams come true, but not with the (apparent) approach you are taking.
    edited February 2009
    Thanks for the advice Leo.. I'm in no fantasy world because yes, I have planned it all out.. I might seem like I'm just rushing into things by what I have said above but my numbers are working out, I'm making more sacrifices than I could have ever though and it all seems to be working out.. I'm not going to rush over there as soon as I'm debt free, I'm ensuring I have waited long enough to make sure I do have reserves.

I have scoped the market over there and contacted lots of possible employers which seem to be interested in me, but obviously I will have to keep working hard at it.

All is in hand and I am not going to just dive in head first as I have done with stupid idea's before, I want and need this to work so I am going to do it right!

--

On another note, I went with that laptop (which arrives today - Can't wait!!) and I sold my PC and some other things that were gathering dust and I now have over £500 to pay my bills off which is over half way there! By my workings, I think I'll have my debts (apart from my car - Ongoing) paid off in 2-3 months time.

I never thought I could do that this quick and I have planned for a long haul of getting rid of it but it all seems to be working out well.

Thanks again for your concern Leo!

I'll post a review on the laptop ;)
  • LeonardoLeonardo Wake up and smell the glaciers Eagle River, Alaska Icrontian
    edited February 2009
    Good to hear that you've thought this all through well. I wish you success!
    edited February 2009
    Leonardo wrote:
    Good to hear that you've thought this all through well. I wish you success!

Yeah, me too!! I've made far too many mistakes in my past and now I want to make things right as my new g/f (well not new anymore) who I've known since school and I are going better than I ever could have imagined and she has done the world of good for me! :)

This will be our new life and I won't let it fail :)

Peace bro!