RUMOR MILL: PS3 Price drop in March/April, will you buy?

RADARADA Apple Valley, CA Member
edited February 2009 in Gaming
I read an article the other day (looking for it to cite) where Sony and Microsoft Spokesholes were battling and forth about which console is better (for business, not gaming). It is rumored that the PS3 is about to drop to around $300. Yes, I know, "We've all heard this rumor before..".. So we'll take this info with a grain of salt for now.....

BUT, if the PS3 was to drop to $300 or less, would you buy?

I for one would think about it, for that price. Latest gaming console + Blue Ray player for $300? I'd say yes...

What say you?

Comments

• ThraxThrax 🐌 Austin, TX Icrontian
    edited February 2009
    No. $150 for Blu-Ray, and maybe we'll talk.
  • LeonardoLeonardo Wake up and smell the glaciers Eagle River, Alaska Icrontian
    edited February 2009
    Our home will see its first HD flat screen TV probably this September or October. At that time we'll probably upgrade our media capability to Blu-Ray. A PS3 to go with it? No, not unless it's very close to same price as a standalone BR player. Figure the odds. My son would like the PS3, no doubt. He failed to RMA his XBox 360 after its ''red ring of death," so maybe he might be interested in a PS3. But then, probably not. That would cut into his recreation money. He's fairly active at his college and needs the gas money. Even if he did allocate the money for a console, he'd probably pay Microsoft to repair his 360 rather than buy a new PS3. My wife games, but she's very, very happy with her Nintendo Wii. Me? I'm just a dour curmudgeon who doesn't game at all.
  • primesuspectprimesuspect Beepin n' Boopin Detroit, MI Icrontian
    edited February 2009
    $300 is worth it for the blu-ray player alone.
    edited February 2009
    At today's prices, $300, yes. I remember when CD players where $300, and that was 1980's dollars, and the same for DVD a few years later. It just doesn't fit into my style of waiting for prices to come down. $300? No way. $150, sure, I'll get in line.
  • mas0nmas0n howdy Icrontian
    edited February 2009
    If I wanted a BD player I'd start here.

/me shrugs
    edited February 2009
    No, I meant a standalone player, for a television. I don't want a player for the computer. I don't watch movies on computer and I don't need a media center PC. Fine for those that do, but I will just get a standalone player for the living room TV.
  • MiracleManSMiracleManS Chambersburg, PA Icrontian
    edited February 2009
    I think his insinuation was to build a HTPC.

As for myself? I doubt it. I'm very happy with my Wii and XBox 360. It would have to cost about $50 more than current blue-ray players and that doesn't seem possible.
  • mas0nmas0n howdy Icrontian
    edited February 2009
    I guess I wasn't clear. I have absolutely no desire to own a gaming console and if I wanted a BD player I'd pay $100 for one to go into a PC. I don't care how cheap the PS3 gets; it does nothing for me. Was just responding to the OP.
  • edited February 2009
    I'm perfectly happy with my xbox 360's streaming capabilities with HD content from my PC. I lost all confidence in Sony over the past several years and with that, I'll happily stay with my 360 (which GF and I don't really play enough to justify owning already). Plus...sony has no exclusive games that have me feeling that if 'have to' own their system. The GT demo that they have for it is incredibly fun (and is a much better sim than Forza 2), but the game is still just a demo.