XBOX 360 wireless alternative

RADARADA Apple Valley, CA Member
edited March 2009 in Gaming
Does anything work better than the $100 USB wireless adapter???

Found a Cisco/Linksys adapter, but I have no experience with it..

Wouldn't a bridge thru the network port be faster?

Comments?

Thx!

R

Comments

• CycloniteCyclonite Tampa, Florida Icrontian
    edited February 2009
    I'd grab a WRT54G2, install DD-WRT on it and put it in client bridge mode. It works amazingly well.
  • RADARADA Apple Valley, CA Member
    edited February 2009
    Cyclonite wrote:
    I'd grab a WRT54G2, install DD-WRT on it and put it in client bridge mode. It works amazingly well.

I have an old (circa 2006) WRT54G (not sure of the version) at home. Is this router too old?

If not, I'll try it tonight...
  • RWBRWB Icrontian
    edited February 2009
    That WRT54G will work just fine ;)
    edited February 2009
    RWB wrote:
    That WRT54G will work just fine ;)

Well, I wasn't so successful...

I tried flashing my old WRT54GS v1.1 and I now have a lovely blue and black paperweight on my desk..... The unit is totally bricked..... dim flashing power light, can't ping it at all.

It was 4 or 5 years old , so I'm not too peeved.. ..just not sure what happened... followed the directions to the letter.....
  • kryystkryyst Ontario, Canada
    edited February 2009
    How to unbrick a linksys router

http://www.barik.net/archive/2004/12/03/220751/
    edited February 2009
    kryyst wrote:

I'll walk through this tutorial tonight, but I've already tried opening the router and jumping pins 15 & 16 on the flash memory to no avail.

After the firmware upgrade I had a bright, fast flashing power light and no ping or access..

...after jumping the flash I now have a dim flashing power light and no ping or access....

But I guess it can't get any worse, so I'll try jumping it again tonight....
    edited February 2009
    Yeah worse case is your, well buying a new router, which you've already resolved yourself to needing to do.
    edited February 2009
    kryyst wrote:
    Yeah worse case is your, well buying a new router, which you've already resolved yourself to needing to do.

Found this cable on ebay. Thought I'd give it a shot for $10.50. Cheaper than a new router, and a lot cheaper than an XBOX 360 USB Network Adapter, if I can fix the brick....

JTAG Cable
    edited February 2009
    Good luck. Sorry that didn't work for you. I've flashed many a WRT54G without issue. :-\
    edited February 2009
    Cyclonite wrote:
    Good luck. Sorry that didn't work for you. I've flashed many a WRT54G without issue. :-\

No worries, it was my 1st one, probably missed something...... If it was brand new 54g, I'd proabably be a little more PO'd. But this one was sitting in a box in the office closet, collecting dust..... and it is a v1.1, so it's not exactly "new" equipment.
    edited February 2009
    Just bought a WRT54G v8 for $16.25 delivered off eBay. It's missing the AC adapter, but I have spares at home from my last job. (Can't throw away a good AC adapter, even if the router is fried)..
    edited February 2009
    Be careful if you plan on flashing that router. As far as I know you can't put tomato on it and if you want to put DD-WRT there is a special Micro version that you have to use and IIR a trick to installing it.
    edited February 2009
    kryyst wrote:
    Be careful if you plan on flashing that router. As far as I know you can't put tomato on it and if you want to put DD-WRT there is a special Micro version that you have to use and IIR a trick to installing it.

I agree, the v8 routers are a bit limited on the internal hardare (small flash chip) From what I've read on the DD-WRT site, (I've become a DD-WRT Wiki-sponge over the last couple days) I just need to use the proper DD-WRT Micro firmware update for a v8 router. Not too worried about what it can or can't do, all this router will be doing is bridging my XBOX 360 to our other WRT54G (v6).

Plus, with the JTAG cable I bought yesterday, I might be able to resurect my 54GS v1.1 from the Brick-Graveyard....

If I can get one of the two working, I'm only into the whole project for $26.75.... ($10.50 for JTAG cable + $16.25 for 54g v8).

That's STILL half what new router costs (w/shipping from NewEgg), & 1/4 to a 1/3 of an XBOX360 wireless adapter...

The other part of this is the greatly satisfying sense of "building/tinkering" I'm getting. I've built all my gaming towers for the last 10 years. Since getting engaged/married I've had to re-focus my technological wants towards "us" instead of "me". Before the wife, the decision to buy a MoBo, video card, etc and eat Mac & Cheese and Ramen for two weeks was no problem!!! :) Not so anymore! Here I still get to "play" with hardware/software, but I don't break the budget in doing so..
    edited March 2009
    SUCCESS!!! WOOT!!! :rockon:

Finally got a couple hours to get the WRT54G v8 I got on ebay flashed and hooked up.

Downloaded the files, and followed the instructions off DD-WRT.com, this one worked like a charm. Loaded the firmware, logged in and set up router as a Bridge, plugged it into the XBOX 360.

Very simple this time. Guess the old router that I bricked was on its last legs or something...

Loaded the new XBOX experience update last night, should have my LIVE account active by tonight!

Save myself $50+ vs. buying an XBOX USB network adapter. I would think even a wireless network connection would be faster than USB? Yes/No?
  • SnarkasmSnarkasm Madison, WI Icrontian
    edited March 2009
    Wired > wireless, yes. Not sure if using a wireless bridge is any better than straight USB wireless, though.

Still, congrats getting it done. :D
    edited March 2009
    RADA wrote:
    SUCCESS!!! WOOT!!! :rockon:

Finally got a couple hours to get the WRT54G v8 I got on ebay flashed and hooked up.

Downloaded the files, and followed the instructions off DD-WRT, this one worked like a charm. Loaded the firmware, logged in and set up router as a Bridge, plugged it into the XBOX 360.

Very simple this time. Guess the old router that I bricked was on its last legs or something...

Loaded the new XBOX experience update last night, should have my LIVE account active by tonight!

Save myself $50+ vs. buying an XBOX USB network adapter. I would think a network connection would be faster also? Yes/No?

Awesome! As Snark said, wired is definitely better than wireless, but the client bridged mode capabilities of DD-WRT work extremely well in these situations. Glad you're up and running.
    edited March 2009
    Up and running w/ XBOX Live - haven't had too much time to play with it yet.. Looks very cool tho...

BTW: Account name is RADA9933