WD120JB on SATA

MJOMJO Denmark New
edited June 2003 in Hardware
It is good to be back, I must say

Now on to the questions:

Why can my WD120JB not be detected when it is hooked up to the SATA controller?:confused:

The motherboard is a Abit NF7-S Rev 2.0
I do not know the bios version at this moment.
Running with the bios it came shipped with.

And for the SATA n00b question.
Is it true that you can only connect two drives to your motherboard?
There are two SATAconnectors on it.

If that is the case, isn't that a small step back compared to PATA?

Comments

• TheLostSwedeTheLostSwede Trondheim, Norway Icrontian
    edited June 2003
    I think a Bios upgrade will do you a big favour, then those drives will be detected im sure.

1 drive/connection, i think it will be impossible to do a Master/Slave configuration on SATA so we have to live with that. The drives are getting bigger and soon there is no need for more than 2 drives in a standard workstation/funbox. However, there will be 4 channels soon instead of just 2.

Welcome!
  • MJOMJO Denmark New
    edited June 2003
    Allright then maybe I should consider a flash.

But i Phear the horrible bios corruption.

I know that it should be ruled out on the Rev. 2.0.

But I am still not too happy about it.:eek:

Does it only occur with "extreme" FSB OC?

Hmm maybe I should consider moving this corruption subjet to another forum?
  • GobdGobd Seattle, WA
    edited June 2003
    If you have an ASUS mobo you can update the bios while the comp is on with a nice little utility made by ASUS.
  • TheLostSwedeTheLostSwede Trondheim, Norway Icrontian
    edited June 2003
    The last update i did was with the windowsflasher. No problem at all, just klick and read. Its harder to type an adress in the toolbar, really.
  • MJOMJO Denmark New
    edited June 2003
    LOL that really sounds easy.

I have an Abit NF7-S Rev 2.0

Dunno if Abit has a flashing utillity for windows.

I flashed my KT7A-Raid several times without a hitch.

But ít did not have any bios corruption issues either.
  • GobdGobd Seattle, WA
    edited June 2003
    http://fae.abit.com.tw/eng/download/dl_flashmenu.htm

That has a utility to update Abit bios from windows, i have an asus so i don't know if it works and have no way of testing it.
  • MJOMJO Denmark New
    edited June 2003
    I read at nForcershq that if you lower your fsb prior to flashing you should be all right.

The FSB should be lowered automatically when you reset the bios, before flashing.

I think I will flash it tomorrow.

The corruption happens only at high unstable fsb speeds.
    At least that is what I have read ;)

I am most likely just being a bit to nervous. :rolleyes:
    But it is my first flashing on this new board.
  • profdlpprofdlp The Holy City Of Westlake, Ohio
    edited June 2003
    MJO said
    I read at nForcershq that if you lower your fsb prior to flashing you should be all right.

The FSB should be lowered automatically when you reset the bios, before flashing.

I think I will flash it tomorrow.

The corruption happens only at high unstable fsb speeds.
    At least that is what I have read ;)

I am most likely just being a bit to nervous. :rolleyes:
    But it is my first flashing on this new board.

I've been lucky with BIOS flashing so far (one dud out of maybe a hundred tries - and the updated BIOS that failed was pulled from the companies website hours after I tried it), but I would recommend booting with BIOS DEFAULTS set before flashing - you're probably going to need to go through the new BIOS and re-tweak everything anyway.

Prof
  • ShivianShivian Australia
    edited June 2003
    Mackanz said
    1 drive/connection, i think it will be impossible to do a Master/Slave configuration on SATA so we have to live with that. The drives are getting bigger and soon there is no need for more than 2 drives in a standard workstation/funbox. However, there will be 4 channels soon instead of just 2.
    Yeah SATA was designed to eliminate the Master/slave... :type:
    (smilie inserted for the hell of it :D )
  • CycloniteCyclonite Tampa, Florida Icrontian
    edited June 2003
    Make sure your drive jumper is set to master. Mine did NOT work when set to Cable Select.
  • redoulentredoulent Michigan
    edited June 2003
    I had to remove the jumper all together to get my drive to be detected on SATA. I also have cables that only support one IDE HD, and those required the removal of the jumper for HD's, and required the Master jumper for CD drives. :aol:
  • jonojono Manchester, UK
    edited June 2003
    Just make sure your not overclocking when you flash! I have done my NF7-S ver2 with no problems. Your bios ver is maybe 1.0, I flashed with 1.4.

Regarding your sata drive... I had a problem with the sata cable, a new one sorted it out, also make sure you have sata enabled in bios. By the way my two sata hdd's set up as raid 0 are really fast but generate a hell of a lot of heat.:(