Crimper Suggestion

phuschnickensphuschnickens Beverly Hills, Michigan Member
edited March 2009 in Hardware
Does anyone have suggestions on a good rj45 crimp tool... maybe a punch down too.

I saw a thread requesting similar but the guy was talking about a whole tool set.

Thanks!!

Comments

• primesuspectprimesuspect Beepin n' Boopin Detroit, MI Icrontian
    edited March 2009
    I have been using an Ideal Crimpmaster that I bought almost ten years ago.

I had to change the die one time when it started to get a bit dull and had trouble breaking the sheath.

It has been one of the most reliable, robust tools I've ever owned. I've gotten so much use out of it. <3
  • drasnordrasnor Starship Operator Hawthorne, CA Icrontian
    edited March 2009
    I use the Radio Shack RJ11/RJ45 combined crimp/strip tool. The integrated cable cutter is excellent but the integrated stripper can't compare to a good rotary stripper. A ratcheting crimper would be a nice upgrade but the rat shack edition gets the job done.

I use a Leviton punch tool I got at a Home Depot going-out-of-business sale. It works pretty well and the integrated trimmer keeps punch-down connections nice and neat so I don't end up stabbing myself with untrimmed wire ends anytime I need to fish a new cable.

-drasnor :fold:
  • phuschnickensphuschnickens Beverly Hills, Michigan Member
    edited March 2009
    <3

Thanks for the suggestion. I miss you... and your hosting service. We are having sooo many problems with godaddy's email hosting (we switched after Rob stopped returning our support phone calls)... I'm limping through setting up a linux mail server... which, in retrospect, is probably a terrible idea.

<3
  • KwitkoKwitko Sheriff of Banning (Retired) By the thing near the stuff Icrontian
    edited March 2009
    Ideal makes great stuff. I use their Rachet Telemaster.
  • CycloniteCyclonite Tampa, Florida Icrontian
    edited March 2009
    Kwitko wrote:
    Ideal makes great stuff. I use their Rachet Telemaster.

I have this as well. I absolutely love it.
  • adarryladarryl No Man Stands So Tall As When He Stoops To Help a Child. Icrontian
    edited March 2009
    I used this Ziotek model to cable a 45 PC office network and it's still going strong: http://www.cyberguys.com/product-details/?productID=419
  • LincLinc Owner Detroit Icrontian
    edited March 2009
    We are having sooo many problems with godaddy's email hosting (we switched after Rob stopped returning our support phone calls)... I'm limping through setting up a linux mail server... which, in retrospect, is probably a terrible idea.
    Probably! :D Check out Google Apps. It's how Brian and I do email for everything now (Icrontic, NewBuddhist, MJA Graphics, etc). It turns email from a nightmare into a 5-minute set up and Gmail for everyone.