Killlzone 2

ShortyShorty Manchester, UK Icrontian
edited March 2009 in Gaming
I broke down. I could not help it. I have resisted the Playstation urge for a considerable amount of time. Even seeing the stunning demo on a friends HD TV made me ignore the whole thing but then ....

My girl bought a PS3 home as a "moving in" gift for "us". Most girls would buy something for the kitchen or bedroom, mine bought a PS3 (some of us have all the luck). The games I have played looked great but honestly no better than their XBOX360 counterparts.. well until now.

I got Killzone2 last week. It's... staggering. I swear there are actually parts of the game where it looks like you are watching a movie. The game play is genuinely un-nerving. To quote a phrase you "don't complete a level, you survive it". When you are ducked down behind the tiniest piece of cover, running low on ammo with a swarm of helghast descending on you.. you are nervous, tense and sweating.

Has no one else got addicted to this game as much as me or are we still a bit too PC/XBOX? ;)

Comments

• SnarkasmSnarkasm Madison, WI Icrontian
    edited March 2009
    Besides the graphics, it hasn't looked terribly compelling to me, so I haven't picked it up yet.
  • Gate28Gate28 Orlando, Florida Icrontian
    edited March 2009
    I have it, got it on launch day, but I'm, done with it until they fix the online stability. SP was amazing though, and so is MP, but I can never stay in a game longer than 5 minutes if I use my headset or have the XBox on at the same time.
  • kless001kless001 Midwest-USA Member
    edited March 2009
    I love how you can battle against the ai bots in skirmish mode, I was worried the game would be online only and have a weak single player campain...nope.

The scope aim is lacking in my opinion, to me it feels choppy.
  • MochanMochan Philippines
    edited March 2009
    Shorty wrote:
    I got Killzone2 last week. It's... staggering. I swear there are actually parts of the game where it looks like you are watching a movie. The game play is genuinely un-nerving. To quote a phrase you "don't complete a level, you survive it". When you are ducked down behind the tiniest piece of cover, running low on ammo with a swarm of helghast descending on you.. you are nervous, tense and sweating.

This is how I felt about the original Call of Duty on the PC around half a decade ago. No shooter has really wowed me in the same way since then, and frankly the Call of Duty franchise has been getting long in the tooth, I wonder if Killzone 2 can recreate the experience for me?

But I don't own a PS3, don't plan to for a while yet, and most importantly I do not like playing FPS games on a gamepad.

So I'll probably never get into this game.
  • airbornflghtairbornflght Houston, TX Icrontian
    edited March 2009
    My brother bought it and plays it a lot. It looks pretty tough and he has no online stability issues. You should probably check you connection / network. I played one level and it was damn tough. But I'm not huge on fps.
  • ShortyShorty Manchester, UK Icrontian
    edited March 2009
    It is a tough game but that is what I like about it. A friend of mine wants to rename his killzone handle to "sir-die-a-lot". He is a seasoned FPS player and finding the online challenge hard. It's chaotic, you have to really tread carefully.

The single player is good but nothing exceptional but the visuals and sounds have a tremendous "wow" factor. It's the tough challenging aspect that seals it with me.

I haven't had any online issues, works perfectly for me :)
  • SoLoSoLo DirtySouth, USA
    edited March 2009
    I just bought the game couple days ago from amazon so it should be here next week.