Problem Receiving email with Outlook and Thunderbird

Byron172Byron172 Adelaide, South Australia Member
edited March 2009 in Science & Tech
Has anyone got any suggestions for the following problem:

A friend of mine can send email but when she tries to receive them (download from server) she gets the following error message:

"Your server has unexpectedly terminated the connection. Possible causes of this include server problems, network problems, or a long period of inactivity. Account. account name, Server: 'server name', Protocol: POP3, Server Response: '+OK', Port: 110, Secure(SSL): No, Error Number: 0x800ccc0f"

I have checked (in fact triple checked) all her settings are correct (POP and SMTP details, username & password). Add to this that she has not made any alterations to her system and it worked perfectly well for months prior to this. I have tried using both Outlook and Thunderbird also and both have the same problem. There is no issue with her Internet connection as far as I can see, apart from the fact that it is wireless so it is slower than your average ADSL2 connection. I have also set up her email account on my own PC and it downloads her messages just fine!!! As you can see this is quite a frustrating problem and I can't get any real support from the provider as they believe it is nothing to do with their service and therefore have fobbed me off.

I have also disabled her Antivirus program and firewall temporarily but that didn't fix the problem either - I am seriously stumped.....

Any suggestions???

Comments

• LeonardoLeonardo Wake up and smell the glaciers Eagle River, Alaska Icrontian
    edited March 2009
    Describe her computer's connection to the ISP, to include modem, router, card, dial-up/DSL/WiFi/cable, and what have you. This might a hardware problem.
  • Byron172Byron172 Adelaide, South Australia Member
    edited March 2009
    Hi Leonardo - thanks for taking the time to look into this for me - but as it turns out it was a problem with her AVG antivirus program. I uninstalled it (rather than just disabling it) and messages started to come through fine. Therefore I have gone ahead and reinstalled an up to date copy of AVG and now it all seems to be OK.
    Thanks again - I hope this can be of some assistance for people in the future.
  • kryystkryyst Ontario, Canada
    edited March 2009
    For what it's worth. When you install any anti-virus software that has a hook to email scanning it changes your email settings so that they pass through the anti-virus software first, kind of like a proxy if you will.

If your anti-virus software gets messed up then your email gets broken.
  • Byron172Byron172 Adelaide, South Australia Member
    edited March 2009
    Good point - I found that this problem seems to have occurred because updates haven't been done regularly enough (if at all) and her internet connection isn't constantly on so it doesn't update automatically.