Can I Repair XP w/ SP2 with XP SP3 Disk??

phuschnickensphuschnickens Beverly Hills, Michigan Member
edited March 2009 in Science & Tech
Hey guys. Is it safe for me to do a repair install of xp sp3 and all current updates (except ie8) with an xp sp2 disc. I don't really want to, but I guess I could slipstream a disc with all of the updates if the first method is not safe.

thanks
phu

EDIT: Reason for repair is to restore default fonts... using a font manager has created some font difficulties. Too many fonts = too many problems.

Comments

• ThraxThrax 🐌 Austin, TX Icrontian
    edited March 2009
    You'll need to slipstream.
  • phuschnickensphuschnickens Beverly Hills, Michigan Member
    edited March 2009
    Thrax wrote:
    You'll need to slipstream.

ooooooookay :grumble:

Thanks for the help...
  • kryystkryyst Ontario, Canada
    edited March 2009
    This is a list of all the windows default fonts You could try manually deleting all the extra ones.

You can also do a manual reinstall of just the fonts

Manual WAY

With this step, you can choose what default Windows XP fonts you want to restore back to your system one by one or just all. Open Command Prompt and go to the i386 folder of your Windows XP CD-ROM. Using the “expand -r” command, copy all the missing .tt_ and .fo_ files to Windows folder.
    You can also just expand a specific font.

EXAMPLES:
    for specific ".FON" font files
    expand I:\i386\Sserife.fo_ C:\Windows\Fonts\Sserife.fon
    for specific “.TTF” font files:
    expand I:\i386\Arial.tt_ C:\Windows\Fonts\Arial.ttf
  • phuschnickensphuschnickens Beverly Hills, Michigan Member
    edited March 2009
    great. thanks for the tip. Manually restoration of the fonts has fixed my initial font problem.

One new problem however...

(See attachment)

Distiller and some menus (ie... the save menu in photoshop and maybe more) are HUGE... they take up more than one of my monitors... can't even see the "Ok" and "Cancel" buttons at the bottom. Attempting to drag with the resize handles is futile.

HELP!!!

Thanks.
  • kryystkryyst Ontario, Canada
    edited March 2009
    Adobe likes to use it's own fonts, so you may need to run repair installs on those programs.