*FIX* Linksys WMP54G v4.1 lag on Windows 7

Comments

• edited February 2010
    Thrax wrote:
    If the card isn't listed in the device manager, you need to try reseating it in the PCI slots in your computer. Either the card isn't making sufficient contact with the motherboard, or it's dead.

I think it's dead, I'm going to get it replaced, hopefully with a D-Link or TP-Link.
  • HurakenHuraken France
    edited February 2010
    Hi,

I have a Linksys WMP54G wireless card 4.1 and Windows 7 (64bits).
    I followed the guide a couple of days and it worked with the drivers attached.
    But now, when i boot my computer i got random freeze (under windows) because of this driver.

PS: the drivers are Ralink RT61 WLAN Card V2 or Ralink Wireless LAN card V2 (see the image) ?
  • edited February 2010
    Thrax wrote:
    The Windows Update-provided Windows 7 driver for the Linksys WMP54G WLAN adapter is bad. It will increase your latency and cause outrageous packet loss.

If you're looking to fix the Linksys wmp54g Windows 7 driver issue, you must download the Windows Vista 32/64-bit driver for the Ralink RT256x & RT266x Series WLAN chipsets, which I have attached at the end of this post.

The WMP54G 4.1 will not inherently recognize these drivers as compatible, so you must force the card to install the Ralink RT61 WLAN Card V2 drivers. Please see the attached image to see the driver installation procedure.
  • edited February 2010
    I downloaded the Ralink drivers -- how do I get the device manager to list them as an option to continue with the process? Thanks
  • edited February 2010
    Awesome! Thank you, thank you!

I just did this on my Win7 x64 installation with my WMP54G v4.1 and it fixed the problems I was having completely.

I managed to install the Vista drivers for WMP54G using the install CD, but noticed right away that I was getting about .60 Mbps when I should've been getting 6 Mbps download rates.

I followed your instructions (after uninstalling the existing WMP54G drivers) and now I am getting 6 Mbps again. Woot!
  • edited February 2010
    I must be missing something. In the original post it states - you must force the install, see the image. - The image shows the RALINK under Network Adapters. I can't get there. I have plugged in my Linksys card WMP54G-v4.1, it shows up under Other hardware because Windows can't find any drivers. All I can do is update it's driver, not the driver for the RALINK. How do I get to the start point where RALINK is listed under the Network Adapters in Device Manager.
  • edited April 2010
    Allthough I have to say this guide was a solution for me; it also has caused a big problem. On Windows 7 64-bit with more than 3 gigs of RAM, the Ralink drivers cause Windows to freeze on every startup (sometimes more often). A hard reboot "solves" the problem, but it's very annoying. To me a long time to link both problems... I hope this helps someone.
  • edited April 2010
    Thrax wrote:
    The Windows Update-provided Windows 7 driver for the Linksys WMP54G WLAN adapter is bad. It will increase your latency and cause outrageous packet loss.

If you're looking to fix the Linksys wmp54g Windows 7 driver issue, you must download the Windows Vista 32/64-bit driver for the Ralink RT256x & RT266x Series WLAN chipsets, which I have attached at the end of this post.

The WMP54G 4.1 will not inherently recognize these drivers as compatible, so you must force the card to install the Ralink RT61 WLAN Card V2 drivers. Please see the attached image to see the driver installation procedure.
    I am having problems with the instructions. When I check in the DevManager I do not see the start image you have listed. How do I get this to work in windows 7?
  • ThraxThrax 🐌 Austin, TX Icrontian
    edited April 2010
    The adapter in the start image can be named anything Windows has provided you. Linksys WMP54G is a possibility. Basically, just start the process from whatever network card is in the system.
  • edited April 2010
    Thrax wrote:
    The adapter in the start image can be named anything Windows has provided you. Linksys WMP54G is a possibility. Basically, just start the process from whatever network card is in the system.
    ok haha, I thought I was losing my mind and that the card should be named the highlighted. Thanks. I'll keep the forum updated if I can get this to work. fingers crossed. lol Is there any difference between the beta and RTM for this to work? As I have the RTM or final version.
    edited April 2010
    No difference. :)
  • edited April 2010
    Thrax wrote:
    No difference. :)
    Awesome, Now shoudl I uninstall any drivers that are on there now? and if so once unistalled, should I try to install from my install disk 1st than try this method, Or should I just try this method first. I just want to maek sure I know exact what I am suppose to do before I get started again. :bigggrin:
    edited April 2010
    Either method will work fine.
  • edited April 2010
    I am still getting a code 10 error message while trying to install. Any idea of what I am doing wrong?
    edited April 2010
    Either you inadvertently selected the wrong driver, or you don't have a v4.1 WMP54G.
  • edited April 2010
    Thrax wrote:
    Either you inadvertently selected the wrong driver, or you don't have a v4.1 WMP54G.
    I think my version is 4.0, I just checked my install disk and the driver version is 4.0 Do you know of there isa fix for that?
    edited April 2010
    No, I'm sorry. I believe the v4.0 card uses a different WLAN chip that is incompatible with the driver package linked in this post.

I guess it's worth repeating that I ended up dumping the WMP54G because of all this hassle with crappy drivers early on. I bought a D-Link DWA-552 and never looked back.
  • arunarun INDIA
    edited May 2010
    Thrax wrote:

Hi Everyone,

I have Windows 7 32BIT os,...... :eek:

Can anybody help me getting the driver for 32bit OS.

Thanks in advance
  • edited July 2010
    windows 7 is not work correctly in my COMPUTER what is the main problem that can be fixed pl z guys help!
  • edited August 2010
    Hello, I'm new to this forum and I had a question about this exact problem.
    I have the windows 7 64 bit and WMP54g version 4.1.
    Whenever I first install the ralink driver it seem to work fine but then only after working for 1 day or so, everytime I boot up my computer it crashes in 2-3 minutes. I thought it was being caused by other programs but it doesn't seem likely. So I just reinstalled WMP54g drive and the computer doesn't crash, but there is a lag spike. So I have to reinstall ralink and this cycle keeps on going. Does anyone else have this problem? or should I just get another wireless card
    edited August 2010
    I would honestly recommend picking up another wireless card in your case, Andifer.
  • edited August 2010
    haha thanks for the quick response. Any specific model you would recommend? since I just got windows 7 I don't know which work the best
    edited August 2010
    I'm very happy with my D-Link DWA-552. It's an 802.11n card, but works just as well with 802.11g, and the price was pretty good.
  • edited August 2010
    I see. Thanks for the recommendation.

How big are those antennas? I have the silverstone Raven RV01 case and since all the device inputs are on top of the case not the back and it also has a cover on top, if the antennas take up too much space, I can't close the top cover properly. not to mention that it might run into my other cables like my monitor cable.

Do the USB wireless card have similar speed or are they bad?
    edited August 2010
    Wireless USB cards use the CPU to handle network traffic, which saps precious resources from other activities on your PC. As a result, your network traffic AND your PC are slower than they could be with a dedicated card.

The antennas are about 3-4" long.
  • edited August 2010
    Thanks for the help, I guess I'll just try to get a new one if not, I could always bring the router to my room and just hardwire it and give the adapter to my brother since he uses windows XP.

WRT54G doesn't have this lag spike issues I'm hoping?
    edited August 2010
    The router is fine and works well. It's all in the network card.
  • edited August 2010
    yea unfortunately, the cable plug on my wall doesn't seem to work. I moved the router into my room but wasn't able to pick up. I decided to call the service provider but it was getting late so I just decided to call it a day and went back to my old WMP54g..for now.

I happened to find that I still had my linksys folder for the WMP54g on my C:/program files.

Could this have anything to do with the fact that my computer was crashing?
    Also whenever I use the ralink driver, Windows Update doesn't pop up but as soon as I re-install WMP54g, it does within minutes. Any clues as to what the heck is going on?
    edited August 2010
    The RaLink driver is much newer that the Linksys driver, but it's also not technically the "right" driver for the Linksys card. When Windows Update sees the RaLink driver, it doesn't know what WiFi card it's looking at, so it can't offer any updates. The very old Linksys-provided driver, however, has a (somewhat) newer update that WUAU can provide if it sees the WMP54G.

Long story short, the RaLink driver is better, but Windows Update doesn't know what to do with it.
  • edited August 2010
    maybe that's causing the crash...maybe I should turn off windows update until I get my new wireless network card

stupid windows 7 and its..'enhanced compatibility'