Quicktime trouble

scottscott Medina, Ohio Icrontian
edited April 2009 in Science & Tech
I used to be able to view .mov files in windows media player and edit them in Windows movie maker. But I can't seem to any longer.

The files are from my camera and open and play just fine in Quicktime.

I have changed the file association from WMP to QT and back again with no luck.
I have tried dragging and dropping the files into Movie maker and browsing to them. All with the same negative results.

Originally IIRC, all I had to do was have QT installed for Windows to be able to use the codecs. So I uninstalled QT and re-installed the most current version. Still no luck.

I have not tried to do this for a few months so many things could have changed since then. Updates etc.
For the record
WMP 11
QT 7.6
Vista Ultimate

Any help would be appreciated

Scott

Comments

• kryystkryyst Ontario, Canada
    edited April 2009
    Installing QT doesn't provide the codec info to any other players. You need to get a codec pack that installs the quicktime codec on your machine so it's available to media player/movie maker.

I personally like the klite codec pack but another good one is Combined Community Codec Pack.
  • scottscott Medina, Ohio Icrontian
    edited April 2009
    kryyst wrote:
    Installing QT doesn't provide the codec info to any other players. You need to get a codec pack that installs the quicktime codec on your machine so it's available to media player/movie maker.
    Thanks kryyst

I am not entirely sure that is true. I have never had any codec packs installed on this machine and have played and edited quicktime movies with movie maker and WMP 11. Really wierd !!

I tried both of the above codec packs and all I get is audio in the windows apps. Media player classic will play them though.

In the setup for both codec packs there was no mention of .mov anywhere in "Video" filters. It was present under "audio".

Maybe I should uninstall QT and try these again.

Scott
    edited April 2009
    I uninstalled QT, and media player classic would no longer play it, just audio. I opened nero vision and tried to import the clip and it said "please install Quicktime 7.0 or higher " I reinstalled QT and Nero would then import the clip but it turns it into a jpeg.
    After the QT reinstall Media player Classic will once again play the file. But not windows..just audio.

???
    edited April 2009
    Well, that's just plain weird. If media player classic is playing it correctly then that should (in theory) mean that the codec is installed correctly. If MP11 though or other programs aren't playing anything but audio then it could be a messed up file association.

I'd say run the klite installer again and make sure you have mov selected to install as an optional video codec.
    edited April 2009
    scott wrote:

In the setup for both codec packs there was no mention of .mov anywhere in "Video" filters. It was present under "audio".

As I had stated earlier there was no .mov in either codec pack under video filters.

I have tried installing them both several times with the same results. :scratch:
  • jesusfreakgeniusjesusfreakgenius somewhere
    edited April 2009
    It seems that may be some how some way u may have unistalled something that you didnt need to unistall, try to restore your computer to where media player classic can work again, also why dont you just convert the file format (.mov) to maybe (.avi> window format for so to say. You can use quick media converter for free. It's a great software and its free!!!
    edited April 2009
    scott wrote:
    As I had stated earlier there was no .mov in either codec pack under video filters.

I have tried installing them both several times with the same results. :scratch:

Yes I saw that - what I'm saying is normally with klite there is an option for .mov as a video codec. Which version of klite did you install?
    edited April 2009
    I started with basic ( it states .mov in the specs but not the setup )
    I then tried "standard " ( no change )
    I then tried "full" ( which did have an option for .mov which I did select )

But it still will not work with Windows apps.

I got tired of messin with it and just converted the files with some converter and edited them.

I do appreciate all the help !!

Thanks

Scott
    edited April 2009
    That's really weird that's all I can say.
  • jesusfreakgeniusjesusfreakgenius somewhere
    edited April 2009
    which convertor did you use :D
    edited April 2009
    which convertor did you use :D

The one you suggested. Quick Media Converter.

I think the "conversion" induced some grain to the video. I just does not look as good as what I have done with the same camera and movie maker in the past.

I don't know what got borked but, it is one of those things you may never figure out.

Thanks for your help guys !

If you want to see the video in question it is here

There are 3 different video clips in the video. The last 20 seconds was done previously directly in movie maker with no "conversion" it looks a lot better.

Scott