Fallout 3 - Milking DLC for all it's worth?

MrTRiotMrTRiot Northern Ontario Icrontian
edited April 2009 in Gaming
I have acquired "Operation Anchorage" and "The Pitt" both the currently released expansion packs (DLC) for Fallout 3. I'm a MAJOR fan of the Fallout series, I have played Fallout 1 & 2, Fallout:Tactics and now Fallout 3....

If you're like me, the type of person who has to beat everything to 100% you'll know why I'm writing this post. I beat both Operation Anchorage and The Pitt 100% in 7 hours. Not just one of them; both...

So has anyone heard of the newest expansion "Broken Steel"? It's supposed to raise the level cap to 30 (which is the only reason I'm going to buy it) and have about the same content level as the previous expansions; which is pure BS.

Does anyone else think Bethesda is milking the downloadable content for all it's worth? Releasing an extra 3 to 4 hours of game play for 10$ a piece in my personal opinion is wayyy over the top...

Anyone else share my opinion?

p.s. I ended up going through Anchorage and The Pitt at level 20 (the current lvl cap) which netted me 0 exp and some pretty crappy items....

Comments

• UPSWeezerUPSWeezer Behind you... GENTLEMEN Icrontian
    edited April 2009
    After seeing how the game ends... I shall not be buying any expansions.
  • RADARADA Apple Valley, CA Member
    edited April 2009
    I've totally hooked on F3 since I cracked it open about a month ago. Really disappointed to hear it isn't holding up to the cost.

Mr TRiot wrote:
    I have acquired "Operation Anchorage" and "The Pitt" both the currently released expansion packs (DLC) for Fallout 3. I'm a MAJOR fan of the Fallout series, I have played Fallout 1 & 2, Fallout:Tactics and now Fallout 3....

If you're like me, the type of person who has to beat everything to 100% you'll know why I'm writing this post. I beat both Operation Anchorage and The Pitt 100% in 7 hours. Not just one of them; both...

So has anyone heard of the newest expansion "Broken Steel"? It's supposed to raise the level cap to 30 (which is the only reason I'm going to buy it) and have about the same content level as the previous expansions; which is pure BS.

Does anyone else think Bethesda is milking the downloadable content for all it's worth? Releasing an extra 3 to 4 hours of game play for 10$ a piece in my personal opinion is wayyy over the top...

Anyone else share my opinion?

p.s. I ended up going through Anchorage and The Pitt at level 20 (the current lvl cap) which netted me 0 exp and some pretty crappy items....
  • MrTRiotMrTRiot Northern Ontario Icrontian
    edited April 2009
    RADA wrote:
    I've totally hooked on F3 since I cracked it open about a month ago. Really disappointed to hear it isn't holding up to the cost.

It disappoints me as well. Coming from Bethesda, the people behind oblivion, I would of thought F3 would compare in size, scope, and in depth expansions....

But sadly, it doesn't....
  • Gate28Gate28 Orlando, Florida Icrontian
    edited April 2009
    I had a terrible time with the F3 DLC, being that if your under 18, you can buy the DLC no problem, but playing it is impossible, which put me out 10 bucks for O:A.
  • edited April 2009
    Oblivion DLC was worse. Horse Armor? Spell Tomes? At least with Fallout you get some gameplay.
  • kryystkryyst Ontario, Canada
    edited April 2009
    Operation Anchorage is a dissapointment. But the PIT I think is worth while. While I don't want to get into an argument on $$$ their price is inline with most other game addons. It's also better then what they wanted for some of the Oblivion addon's.

Plus it is optional. The big addon will be the 3rd one that is supposed to lift the level cap.
  • MochanMochan Philippines
    edited April 2009
    DLC isn't free on the PC? I remember getting Horse Armor for free on the PC. Well that's milking for you. I'm heading to the mod makers sites.
  • NiGHTSNiGHTS San Diego Icrontian
    edited April 2009
    Out of curiosity, what would have been acceptable for the development of DLC? $5?

I feel like in the grand scheme of things, the price of a lunch ($10) for an extra few hours of game play isn't that bad.
  • MrTRiotMrTRiot Northern Ontario Icrontian
    edited April 2009
    5$ would be fine

Fallout's DLCs are 800 microsoft points. You buy 500 for 5$. It's a scam even buying it though. Since they only sell in multiples of 500
    edited April 2009
    So you store up the points or buy something small like a song for rock band....While it's not my favorite way to buy stuff. I've never found a lack of ways to spend points.
  • KoreishKoreish I'm a penguin, deal with it. KCMO Icrontian
    edited April 2009
    I've always had a problem with the Microsoft points system. I think you should be able to earn some from getting the achievements or something. I mean why else have the achievement system? I don't care that I didn't waste three hours trying to kill this monster or rescue that NPC and someone else did. But if I got some Points to go with it that make it more of an incentive for me to farm achievements.
  • SnarkasmSnarkasm Madison, WI Icrontian
    edited April 2009
    You're misinterpreting the reason for achievements. They're there to enhance replay value, not to reward you for finishing the game.
  • KoreishKoreish I'm a penguin, deal with it. KCMO Icrontian
    edited April 2009
    I always pictured them for rewarding you for doing Sidequests or going above and beyond what most people would in a game. It's unnecessary for them to have a point value for achievements unless you get a reward for having so many points. Otherwise Microsoft should just have a list of Achievements rather than a gamers score.
  • SnarkasmSnarkasm Madison, WI Icrontian
    edited April 2009
    But without a GamerScore, how would you know how much more 1337 you are than your n00b friends? :p
  • foolkillerfoolkiller Ontario
    edited April 2009
    This is the big reason that I never buy single player games for the 360 that are similar in size and scope to Fallout 3 or Oblivion. The PC Modding scene has already implemented a level 100 cap, as well as lots of extra content for Fallout 3. With Oblivion, Obscuro's Oblivion Overhaul made a massive difference in replay value for me (Being that I could actually be a thief and make decent money at the beginning of the game.)

They really need to get a clue that standalone PC mods should be compatible with the 360 versions of the same game. After all, they use the same data files and such, and there is no actual compiling involved, it should be simple to implement.

Just my thoughts.
    edited April 2009
    <table class="tableBorder" style="table-layout: fixed;" align="center" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tbody><tr class="msgEvenTableRow"><tr class="msgEvenTableRow"><td class="msgLineDevider" height="150" valign="top"> <!-- Start Member Post --> And we have a release date for DLC #3, Broken Steel!
    This should be the best by far, which I suppose is why they left it till last, even though doing so was a major pain since each additional DLC before this only made the level cap of 20 more and more of an issue.

Bullet points of features announced so far:

1. Level cap raised to 30.

2. End of the game changed so that you don't die. In fact there is no longer an ending. Like Oblivion, after the end of this DLC your adventures continue as long as you wish.

3. New perks

4. New, tougher enemies

5. New items

6. A third new world zone, "Adams Air Force Base", an Enclave base where you'll try to end their attacks on the Capital Wasteland once and for all.

Plot-wise it looks like:

1. You'll actually get to join the Brotherhood of Steel. Oooo! Really! I actually found the way the game jock-sniffed the BoS annoying at times, even though I liked them as an organization.

The way they acted like being an "honorary" member was a huge deal at the end of the first game literally made me laugh out loud on my first playthrough.

I think they meant it to be an honor.

2. Guard water shipments from Project Purity across the wastes.

3. Go on a quest for a bad-ass energy bazooka called a Tesla Cannon.

4. Take out the Enclave once and for all.

<!-- End Member Post --> </td></tr></tr></tbody></table>