Wireless G Limit??

phuschnickensphuschnickens Beverly Hills, Michigan Member
edited May 2009 in Science & Tech
I just setup a wireless network for some dude and tested it out and it's getting GREAT range b/c I used DDWRT and turned up the TX and left the range alone at 2000m. So I'm terrible at approximating distance, but it's a 2300 sq ft house so I'd say it's well over 100ft. It's from his detached garage office to the opposite edge of his house with great signal. So I still have to throw a wireless card into the guy's desktop which is the pc located at the opposite end of the house. I went to microsh*tter and asked the guy if the linksys card received pretty good range and he declared the wireless g will not work past 100ft.

What the f*ck is he talking about? Did he mean to say "I'm not very well educated about wireless networking" ?

Comments

• RyderRyder Kalamazoo, Mi Icrontian
    edited May 2009
    ~300m (900ft) is the "range" for Wireless G. Interior walls will subtract ~10ft off that range (multiply by number the signal passes through), Exterior walls will subtract ~30ft (more stuff in them).

All those numbers are partly from my own observations and are not set in stone. Houses and construction vary greatly.
  • ThraxThrax 🐌 Austin, TX Icrontian
    edited May 2009
    Wireless G was good for about 120ft in my old home, composed primarily of hardwood and stone.