Wierd memory issues, all my memory are failing Memtest 86+?

MJOMJO Denmark New
edited May 2009 in Hardware
Hi

I have an ASUS Crosshair II Formula and a total of 4 GB Corsair Dominator PC-8500 memory. Four modules, two of them revision 2.2 and the other two revision 1.5.

I recently RMA'ed two of the modules since they were DOA and got a new pair in return last week.

After installing windows 7 I noticed that the system crashed quite a lot, especially when running games using a lot of memory.
I have then used the newest version of Memtest 86 + to test the modules and this is were it gets strange.
According to Memtest all my modules are bad, the fail massively in the very first test, the error counter reaches several thousands within half a minute or so.
And I cannot believe this, especially not since I tested my two rev 2.2 modules in my old Abit board, and there were no errors.
That means that it must be the Asus motherboard that is malfunctioning since I was using the exact same processor with the previous motherboard?

I have tested all kinds of combinations and sockets, yesterday I even tested a couple of modules alone, and failure every time.
Furthermore they are failing at all speeds, I have even tested them with bios defaults.

Is there anything I can do, this strikes me as very odd?

I am using a vdimm voltage of 2.1 or 2.2 V, it doesn't make any difference.
The recommended value for the modules are 2.1.
Vcore has been set to auto, but I have tested with 1.3 V, and that didn't help either.
BIOS is upgraded to the latest version 1703.

Please let me know if more information is required then I will try to dig it up.

Comments

• DonutDonut Maine New
    edited May 2009
    If nothing tests out, not even one module, I'd peruse the BIOS for a wrong setting somewhere. If that doesn't work, beg or borrow another working ram module to test, or let someone else test yours (ram). If your ram tests ok and a good module won't work in yours, I'd say MOBO or PSU. Start there.
  • MJOMJO Denmark New
    edited May 2009
    It just got more interesting.

All four modules are fine.
    I have now tested them using Memtest 86+ on another machine, no errors.
    I have also borrowed another Corsair module to test with.
    But it doesn't look good, I reckon there are three scenarios then:
    Faulty motherboard (again)
    Faulty PSU (I sure hope not, it is an Enermax Liberty 620W)
    Or compatibility issues with the motherboard (haven't found others reporting this, and it fails using two different revisions)

I will test the extra module soon, when I am done playing with my old rig. ;)
  • MJOMJO Denmark New
    edited May 2009
    Well it seems that it is compatibility, right now Memtest is testing the borrowed module, and no errors as of yet.
    First pass is complete. (Edit: make that three sucessfull pases)
    And with my other modules the errors appeared right away.

That is strange I have never tried this before.
    I wonder if I should go shopping for new modules, or maybe there is hope?
    Don't really know where to start though.¨
    I have tried lowering the speed and I have tested with low voltage and high voltage. (as high as i dared to go) and nothing seemed to do the trick.
    Timings have been left at standard, which matches the timings printed on the module itself.

(Good to have a laptop, when the primary rig is acting up ;) )
  • ThraxThrax 🐌 Austin, TX Icrontian
    edited May 2009
    Asus motherboards are notoriously picky about DRAM. I don't know what else to offer.
  • MJOMJO Denmark New
    edited May 2009
    I don't understand a thing now.

I tested using one of my Dominator modules, and now everything is fine it passed the test no problems.
    I am now testing all four modules at once and no problems yet and last time they failed the errors came right away in the test.

In other words. If you are experiencing memory problems then you should pull out the modules and put them in an anti static bag for two weeks and then put them back into the rig. And then everything is just fine??? :)
    You can add a memtest at a friends house but that is just a bonus. ;)