Lost network key

fmuellerfmueller Auckland, NZ Icrontian
edited June 2009 in Science & Tech
I have my internet connection through AT&T U-verse. I have my main computer hooked up via Ethernet cable to their modem or whatever they call the thing. I have two more computers that can access the Internet wirelessly through that thing. The other day I bought a new laptop, and want to enable that sucker to access the web wirelessly too. Unfortunately I lost the little AT&T booklet in which I wrote down my network key. I tried to get the key off one of the other computers but no luck, because you can't read it and you can't copy and paste it.

Is there an easy way to get the key somehow or can I reset it myself? In the worst case I'll have to call their helpdesk, but I prefer to listen to my own choice of music rather than theirs, and I find messages like: 'your call is important to us. all our operators are busy at the moment... ' highly disturbing. :werr:

Many thanks

Frank

Comments

• RyderRyder Kalamazoo, Mi Icrontian
    edited June 2009
    If you changed the key.. then you need to get into the firmware of the router/modem (from the wired PC). There is a password for this, but AT&T can help you reset that also if necessary.

If you did not change it.. it is on the bottom of the unit (default WEP key)
  • hypermoodhypermood Smyrna, GA New
    edited June 2009
    This utility will recover any keys used in a wireless environment if Windows is managing the connection: http://www.nirsoft.net/utils/wireless_key.html

In short, run this on one of the computers that is wireless and connects to the ATT router. Hope this helps.
  • fmuellerfmueller Auckland, NZ Icrontian
    edited June 2009
    I did not change it. Found it right at the bottom of the unit :thumbup

Many thanks!

Frank