No Power??

djmonstadjmonsta London, UK Member
edited June 2009 in Hardware
Hey guys, hope you can help.

I only finished building my new rig just over a week ago and it was working really really well! But, i went to turn it on today, and nothing!! I have LED fans in my case so its easy to tell there's no power. I've changed the PSU over and re-wired the internal power cables. I've changed the main power cable too, to eliminate a blown fuse. I know the next possible cause is the motherboard, but its only 6 months old so unlikely that its blown, isn't it?

So annoying because i've been slowly building this thing since december and i've only had it fully working for a week and it's died!! So i'm confined to my laptop until i get it fixed...

Comments

• RyderRyder Kalamazoo, Mi Icrontian
    edited June 2009
    You can check to see if it is the PSU like this:

Disconnect the PSU from everything (wall, mobo, etc) ...then plug the unit back into the wall socket and connect a couple hard drives to a molex connector to provide a load.

Now....with the switch on the back of the PSU in the off position...locate the Dark Green wire in the ATX connector and using a paper clip (or something similar) "jump it" to any of the black wires in the connector....Now flip the switch on the back to On.......the PSU should start up and run.

Pictures of the jumpstart are here: http://www.ocztechnologyforum.com/forum/showthread.php?t=34941

If the PSU starts like that.. then either the switch is not connected to the mobo correctly (the switch on the case) or the mobo itself went bad and is not sending the signal to the PSU.
  • djmonstadjmonsta London, UK Member
    edited June 2009
    Thank you RyderOCZ. I haven't tested the PSU, however I did replace it with another one I know should work...

I will give the jump start a go just to make sure tho...
  • LeonardoLeonardo Wake up and smell the glaciers Eagle River, Alaska Icrontian
    edited June 2009
    I think you've probably just got an electrical short somewhere. Even we experienced builders have this happen sometimes. Go ahead and test the PSU first. If you determine the PSU has not failed, then check for a motherboard short:

- remove all add-on components from the motherboard except the CPU and CPU cooler
    - remove the motherboard from the case
    - place the board on a non-static surface, like wood, or cardboard
    - connect one module of RAM and the video card
    - connect the PSU's ATX power cable (power off, PSU wall power cable not plugged in)
    - although usually not necessary, go ahead and also connect the P4 and/or EPS-12v power cable
    - *connect the on/off IO wire from the case to the motherboard

Plug in the PSU wall cable, turn on the PSU, and press your case's power button. *If the IO wire from the case was too short to connect to the motherboard when outside of the case, just use a screwdriver to short the on/off pins to 'start.' If the LED lights and the CPU cooler's fan start, it probably indicates that the cause of the problem was a grounding fault in the case-motherboard interface.
    edited June 2009
    Thank you Leonardo, yeah this probably sounds like whats happening as i can't think of anything i've done to kill the MoBo... I have enough cooling going on to keep everything in check, and as i say i've only had the board for 6 months. I even wore my antistatic wrist band whilst building it!
    edited June 2009
    Hey guys, just a quick thank you for your comments, leonardo was right on the money tho, it was a short. Before getting everything out and doing his step by step suggestion, i loosened the MoBo screws a little, and it powered up!! Its now running no problem!! Just have to change back to my X-Power GTX-Light 480W...