Official MTG EPIC 2009 Thread

ColgereColgere Cincinnati, OH Icrontian
edited June 2009 in Community
There have been a couple changes from the old thread, so please read this updated version. Thanks!

Expo 2009 - Magic: The Gathering Tournament

The event is scheduled to begin at 1pm. I would like all players to meet at the playing area at 12:45, so I can go over a few things before beginning the draft.

=======================
Participants
  • Colgere (Judge)
  • Nemikan
  • Winfrey
  • Q
  • Lincoln
  • CB
  • mertesn
  • Crazy Joe
  • drasnor
  • bindlestick
  • sharkydart
=======================

Date: Friday, June 26th 1:00pm till approx. 5:00pm

Format: Draft

Cost: $0 (Yes, you are reading that correctly)

Set: Alara Block (Shards of Alara, Conflux, Alara Reborn)

I (Colgere) will be the judge for this event. If you have any questions during the event, raise your hand, call out "Judge", and leave your hand up until I come to you (cause I could be dealing with multiple questions at a given time). For the sake of keeping the tournament running smoothly and in a timely manner, all rulings made by me are final. (grin) Also, as this will be a casual event, I will be ruling on "clear intent" much more than exact technical play. Basically, just be clear on what you wish to do, and make sure that you give your opponent the proper chance to respond to any plays you make.

Draft Structure:
We have 10 players for this event. The draft will be split into 2 tables, 5 players at each.

The draft and deck construction will begin at 1pm. Decks are required to be a minimum of 40 cards (this includes the lands), with no maximum. Whatever is not used in your main deck becomes your sideboard. As this is a casual tournament, you may change the cards in your deck between games, meaning, you don't have to restore your deck to its initial build at the beginning of each match. You are, of course, limited to the cards you draft, plus any basic lands. After the draft is completed, players will be given approximately 20 minutes to construct their decks. I anticipate beginning play around 2pm.

The actual draft will be composed of 1 pack of Shards of Alara, 1 pack of Conflux, and 1 pack of Alara Reborn. The packs will be drafted in that order, and packs will be passed in a left-right-left manner. This means when drafting pack 1 (Shards), you will pick a card and then pass the pack to the left, for pack 2 (Conflux), you will pass to the right, and then for pack 3 (Alara Reborn), you will pass to the left again. I'll go over this again at the start of the draft, just in case. (grin)

Tournament Structure:
Each round lasts 50 mins and there will be 3 rounds total. This will be a round-robin tournament, meaning even if you lose, you get to continue playing. Each match during each round will be played on a best 2 out of 3 basis. If a given match goes to time, the active player will finish his/her turn, and then the match will continue for 5 additional turns total (not for each player.) If the current game is not finished at the end of the 5 turns, that game will be declared a draw. The point value for each match result possible is given below:

Match Win = 3 points
Match Draw = 1 point
Match Loss = 0 points

At the end of three rounds, the person with the highest point total will be the winner. In the case of a tie, the first tiebreaker will be the head to head result (if applicable). The second tiebreaker will be their respective opponents' match win/loss records. The third tie breaker will be their opponents' total game win/loss records. If still tied, there will be a one game (not a whole match, just one game!) playoff.

Prizes:

Ok, the part everyone really cares about! (grin) First, please keep in mind that tickets are NOT being awarded for this event. Prizes are listed below:

1st: 36 packs of current MTG product (12 packs each of Shards of Alara, Conflux, and Alara Reborn. This is equivalent to buying a box of packs)
2nd: 18 packs (6 packs of each)
3rd & 4th: 9 packs (3 packs of each)
5th & 6th: 3 packs (1 pack of each)

I'm going to answer a few questions I've already gotten below, and will update this as needed.

Q. Is this draft really free?
A. Yes, this is not a joke.

Q. Do I get to keep the cards I draft?
A. Yes, regardless of how you do, the cards you draft are yours.

Q. Do I need to bring lands, or will they be provided?
A. They will be provided. I have plenty. (grin)

Post in this thread with any other questions you may have, and I will update this post with the answer. Remember, this is a casual event, so have fun! (grin)

Comments

• QCHQCH Ancient Guru Chicago Area - USA Icrontian
    edited June 2009
    AWESOME DETAIL!!! I'm looking forward to playing. Thanks Colgere... :D
  • WinfreyWinfrey waddafuh Missouri Icrontian
    edited June 2009
    Big thanks to Colgere for setting up a very efficient and well officiated tournament. Lots of fun.
    edited June 2009
    I MISSED IT... Darn golf. I DID play a hand with Nemikan and mertesn. My first hand in 14+ years... and I won. :D
  • NemikanNemikan Icrontian
    edited June 2009
    Twas a l33t tourny, props to colgere!
  • LincLinc Owner Detroit Icrontian
    edited June 2009
    I think this was my favorite event this year. Cheers, Colgere :cheers2:
    edited June 2009
    Mine too... oh wait. NM :D
    edited June 2009
    Lincoln wrote:

True dat.
    edited June 2009
    I have the bug again.... I will have some MTG decks for next time. ;)
    edited June 2009
    nice! for reference Q, the theme decks i was talking about are now called "intro packs". You can find cardlists of them on wizard's site before buying them too! heres a link to 3 intro packs from shards of alara:

http://www.wizards.com/Magic/Magazine/Article.aspx?x=mtg/daily/arcana/1682
    (Note: 2 of the packs aren't shown on that page)

I also discovered recently that there are $2 7ish card packs you can buy that give you a rare. I know meijier has them.. not sure who else. Those packs are the ones in a box with a slot open to grab them from... almost a "pack dispenser". For the intro packs, generally there is about 5 different decks per set, where I personally find 1-2 good ones, and 1-2 mediocre ones.

Intro packs are l33t for those who don't want to buy a crapload of packs ^^
    edited June 2009
    I might pick up a few intro packs and a few of the booster packs. We'll see if I can contain this as a side hobby and not an addiction. :D
  • CBCB Ƹ̵̡Ӝ̵̨̄Ʒ Der Millionendorf- Icrontian
    edited June 2009
    I'm glad you guys had fun with this, and I wish I hadn't missed it. Next year I'll make sure to join in.
  • edited June 2009
    Might also want to check out LackeyCCG. It's got a crude interface and isn't very intuitive to setup, but it works well enough for online MTG play. It also supports a slew of other CCGs. Good way to play test decks before buying them as well as just playing casually.
  • ColgereColgere Cincinnati, OH Icrontian
    edited June 2009
    Lincoln wrote:
    Glad to hear it! Thanks to everyone who participated! :D
    edited June 2009
    Might also want to check out LackeyCCG. It's got a crude interface and isn't very intuitive to setup, but it works well enough for online MTG play. It also supports a slew of other CCGs. Good way to play test decks before buying them as well as just playing casually.

It is a nice program, would be worthwild in my mind for those who play MTG @ icrontic to start using this program and we can play mtg remotely with each other!!!!
    edited June 2009
    Not a bad idea....
  • mertesnmertesn I am Bobby Miller Yukon, OK Icrontian
    edited June 2009
    Got LackeyCCG loaded. They're up to date on all M:TG sets. Just takes a long time to download all the card images.
  • edited June 2009
    While there's no real harm in doing so, you don't need to download them all at once. As you build a deck it will load the images of the cards you're using as well as the images of the deck your opponent loads on the fly. Otherwise, you're most likely getting thousands of card images you'll never actually need. Just my thoughts.
  • edited June 2009
    Also, for a great deck building resource check out deckcheck.net. From there you can browse decks by set or by type (Legacy, Extended, Standard, etc) and then by the kind of deck (combo, aggro, control).

The icing on the cake is that you can download them as a LackeyCCG formated text file and drop it right into your Lackey deck folder, no need to spend time building.
    edited June 2009
    Cool guys... I'm gonna install it and start practicing.