I Hate My ISP

MrTRiotMrTRiot Northern Ontario Icrontian
edited August 2010 in Science & Tech
I hate my ISP. I just upgraded to "Rogers Extreme" and guess what they did...

They throttled me. I pay for there most expensive package, 80$ a month. A 25$ increase from the package I was on and this is what I'm left with...

"Your ISP possibly rate limits your BitTorrent uploads. In our tests a TCP uploads achieved at least 55 Kbps while a BitTorrent upload achieved at most 14 Kbps. You can find details "

"Your ISP possibly rate limits your BitTorrent uploads. In our tests a TCP uploads achieved at least 348 Kbps while a BitTorrent upload achieved maximal 13 Kbps. You can find details"

"Your ISP possibly rate limits all uploads at port ****. In our test, a TCP upload on a BitTorrent port achieved at least 104 Kbps while a TCP upload on a non-BitTorrent port achieved at least 348 Kbps. You can find details here."

Taken From: http://broadband.mpi-sws.org/transparency/bttest.php

I am seriously sooo pissed right now....

Anyone know some good Canadian ISPs (other then Rogers/Bell) or a way to get past this horrid annoyance...

Comments

• ardichokeardichoke Icrontian
    edited June 2009
    For the BitTorrent throttling... I believe you can bypass it by using a client with full stream encryption. I'm not positive on that but I believe the full stream encryption hides the fact that it's BitTorrent thus they can't throttle it.
  • MrTRiotMrTRiot Northern Ontario Icrontian
    edited June 2009
    ardichoke wrote:
    For the BitTorrent throttling... I believe you can bypass it by using a client with full stream encryption. I'm not positive on that but I believe the full stream encryption hides the fact that it's BitTorrent thus they can't throttle it.

Been doing that for years and it's just become a problem this week....

I'm actually on the phone with them now about to ask them if they're going to do anything...

If not, I'm pretty sure i'm switching to East Link...

This is ridiculous...:mad2::mad2::mad2:
  • ardichokeardichoke Icrontian
    edited June 2009
    Welcome to my world of anti-consumer BS. I get my internet through Comcast because it's the only broadband option I have. They do stuff like that ALL the time. As soon as I buy my house I'm switching to something else.
    edited June 2009
    I just got off the phone with Rogers. I was talking to technical support and had it OPENLY ADMITTED TO ME that Rogers Communications Inc will throttle any bit torrent traffic.

I kept asking questions as to why this information is not easily accessible (not on there website, not on google...not anywhere)

I was instructed to call "The Office Of The President" tomorrow morning to talk to one of the official Rogers policy escalation representative to get my questions resolved...

All I have to say is boycott Rogers. I'd rather have slower speeds with Bell then be manipulated like this....
  • kryystkryyst Ontario, Canada
    edited June 2009
    Not to sound like a Jerk. But rogers has been throttling for several years now, this isn't really new. It's just unfortunate you only now found out about it.

With their regular DSL service you could get around it by just changing which ports you were using for torrents to something non-standard. They occasionally would still throttle some users while they were testing deep packet scanning potential. So one week or month you may have your torrents throttled regardless and then you'd be fine.

However all their extreme users get deep scanned. So their extreme service is utterly useless. Even if you weren't a torrent person and wanted extreme for more legitimate reasons like hosting a webserver. That violates their TOS so they can boot you too. Basically all their extreme service lets you do is watch legit online video through youtube or other subscription video sites. But you don't need their extreme service for that regular DSL is fast enough.

Basically Rogers Extreme is the biggest rip off in a long line of ripp offs from Rogers. Sorry bout your luck.

If you are looking to switch your service I recommend Teksavvy. They are DSL, but they give you exactly what you order from them.
    edited June 2009
    kryyst wrote:
    Not to sound like a Jerk. But rogers has been throttling for several years now, this isn't really new. It's just unfortunate you only now found out about it.

With their regular DSL service you could get around it by just changing which ports you were using for torrents to something non-standard. They occasionally would still throttle some users while they were testing deep packet scanning potential. So one week or month you may have your torrents throttled regardless and then you'd be fine.

However all their extreme users get deep scanned. So their extreme service is utterly useless. Even if you weren't a torrent person and wanted extreme for more legitimate reasons like hosting a webserver. That violates their TOS so they can boot you too. Basically all their extreme service lets you do is watch legit online video through youtube or other subscription video sites. But you don't need their extreme service for that regular DSL is fast enough.

Basically Rogers Extreme is the biggest rip off in a long line of ripp offs from Rogers. Sorry bout your luck.

If you are looking to switch your service I recommend Teksavvy. They are DSL, but they give you exactly what you order from them.

After searching for a couple hours last night, I found a solution. Works perfectly so far.

Issue resolved? :respect::respect::rockon:
    edited August 2010
    Talk about bringing up ancient threads.
  • ThraxThrax 🐌 Austin, TX Icrontian
    edited August 2010
    Ancient thread resurrection, indeed. Probably a spammer, too. Dealt with.
  • _k_k P-Town, Texas Icrontian
    edited August 2010
    SPAM WHERE. I am so hungry.
  • RichDRichD Essex, UK
    edited August 2010
    I was cooking dinner last night and there was a can of meat on the side with no label on it. I opened it to see what it was and another 20 cans appeared out of nowhere!!!

Bloody Spam!!!