Splinter Cell - Weird GPFs with no reason

PreacherPreacher Potomac, MD Icrontian
edited January 2004 in Gaming
Anybody have problems with mysterious crashes in Splinter Cell late in the game? Everything was working fine until I got about three quarters through the game, specifically in the meat cooler just before you save the Americans and Chinese diplomats. All of a sudden the game starts crashing to the desktop with a General Protection Fault with the History (Explanation line) blank. I've searched all over Google and other forums, downloaded the latest patches, and reinstalled, but to no avail. I'm not using any AA or AF. I'm running at 1600x1200 on a 9800 Pro/512 MB RAM/NF7-S/Overclocked 2500+@215x11. I've tried turning all background programs off and stopping all FSB and Multiplier overclocking, but it still happens.

I'm stumped!:confused:

Any help is greatly appreciated...

Comments

• edited January 2004
    Is the 9800 oc'ed? You might need to back off the GPU clock a bit if it is, I've found that in similar circumstances that the GPU oc was usually the culprit.
  • PreacherPreacher Potomac, MD Icrontian
    edited January 2004
    madmat,
    good idea, but it isn't overclocked. I just think the game is unstable. I've noticed that nearly all of the crashes occurred when I was playing the quicksave file as opposed to the normal save. Maybe it gets corrupted ever so often.
  • edited January 2004
    You're updated to the latest patch, correct?

Stupid question, but ya never know...
  • edited January 2004
    general protection fault hrmmmm

is'nt that when windows wants to access something in memory but something put something in memory that windows does not recognise.

Oh well that's what it was a while ago
  • PreacherPreacher Potomac, MD Icrontian
    edited January 2004
    TheSmJ wrote:
    You're updated to the latest patch, correct?

Stupid question, but ya never know...

Not a stupid question at all, but I went to the Ubisoft Splinter Cell site and downloaded the latest patch. Still no effect.

BTW SMJ,
    I miss your old sig with Miss Korbin! :rarr: