Boardgames!

GrimnocGrimnoc Marion, IN
edited July 2009 in Gaming
As many, and by many I mean two of you (Lynx & Bindlestick), know I am quite a fan of boardgaming. No matter what kind of boardgame it is (Eurogame, Ameritrash, Wargame, Card-based game, whatever), I'll play it.

It's been months since I've bought a new boardgame and I'm starting to get the itch for a new one.

I'm thinking of Last Night On Earth, Descent, Small World, Carcassone, or Napoleon's Triumph? Have any of you played any of these games? What did you think? Fun? Do you have any other suggestions for games that rocked your world?

Comments

• kryystkryyst Ontario, Canada
    edited July 2009
    I own Small World and Carcassonne. They are both fantastic games. I can't pick one over the other because they scratch very different iches. Both take about the same time to play and both support up to 5 players (though for Carcassonne you need an expansion for the 5th). Where Small Worlds wins out is that it works well for just 2 players and Carcassonne isn't a great 2 player game. Personally I'd get both :) Carcassonne also has some excellent expansions that add to the game, some are better then others though.

I've played Last Night on Earth, it's fun but it only gets pulled out on occasion. Descent is a good game but really depends on what your looking for. Descent takes 3hrs on average to play (and often longer) and pits 1 player as the GM vs the others. So you need a big group, lots of time and a You vs Them mentality to play. For us if we have that kind of players and time set aside we'd rather just role play.

A couple other really good games are the ever popular Settlers of Catan and the fantastic game Pandemic. Where Pandemic really stands out is that it's a Co-Op game. It's not every man for himself it's every person working together to beat the game.
  • AnnesAnnes Tripped Up by Libidos and Hubris Alexandria, VA Icrontian
    edited July 2009
    I want to like Last Night on Earth (owning it and all) but I REALLY can't get past the horrid art. I'm fickle like that.
  • ThraxThrax 🐌 Austin, TX Icrontian
    edited July 2009
    In b4 CB.
  • ColgereColgere Cincinnati, OH Icrontian
    edited July 2009
    I recommend Power Grid and Puerto Rico.
  • CBCB Ƹ̵̡Ӝ̵̨̄Ʒ Der Millionendorf- Icrontian
    edited July 2009
    hang out on Tanga.com. They have frequent boardgame sales. Check boardgamegeek.com and see the pictures, and read the reviews to find out what people think. Keep in mind, however that their community is quite biased toward eurostyle games (which is why I hang-out there).

Annes: I hate it when terrible art ruins an otherwise slick game.
  • KoreishKoreish I'm a penguin, deal with it. KCMO Icrontian
    edited July 2009
    There are times I wish my friends here were a bit nerdier so I could actually invest in and play these games. But alas their idea of being social involves only parties and drinking.
  • GrimnocGrimnoc Marion, IN
    edited July 2009
    Yeah, but isn't the point of the art for Last Night On Earth to invoke the whole tongue-in-cheek, ridiculously pulpy aspect of all things horror? You know, like a cheap horror movie? Thus the cheap art?
    edited July 2009
    Must...play...Puerto Rico (because I haven't, but want to so very, very badly).
    edited July 2009
    Grimnoc wrote:
    Yeah, but isn't the point of the art for Last Night On Earth to invoke the whole tongue-in-cheek, ridiculously pulpy aspect of all things horror? You know, like a cheap horror movie? Thus the cheap art?

Oh, I understand that. I just usually choose to not hang out or use things that are THAT hideous.
  • UPSLynxUPSLynx :KAPPA: Redwood City, CA Icrontian
    edited July 2009
    Can we play BANG again next time I'm in the Marion? Also, D&D Inn Fighting for the win.

Beer ALWAYS gives you health back.
    edited July 2009
    Here's the funny thing Bobby, we're setting up a summer LAN (by 'we' I mean Dave and Josh Flick) and the first thing that was mentioned by Mahoney was how I need to bring Bang!

*Back to Last Night On Earth.
    Well, does the fact that they include a soundtrack cd with the game make up for its hideousness in any way at all?

Because it should, +5 for soundtrack cd's.
    edited July 2009
    Grimnoc wrote:
    *Back to Last Night On Earth.
    Well, does the fact that they include a soundtrack cd with the game make up for its hideousness in any way at all?

Because it should, +5 for soundtrack cd's.

No! The soundtrack is AWFUL!!!

I love Bang! WTB invite to summer LAN :-D