Software to copy DVDs

fmuellerfmueller Auckland, NZ Icrontian
edited July 2009 in Science & Tech
I realize this is somewhat of a touchy subject due to copyright restrictions, but my kids have a tendency to scratch their movie DVDs to an unplayable state. I'd like to make fair use copies of new DVDs, so I have another copy once they wrecked the first. Is there an easy way to do this?

Comments

• ThraxThrax 🐌 Austin, TX Icrontian
    edited July 2009
    US copyright law does not recognize fair use copies for digital media. I'm afraid any duplication is a violation of the DMCA.
  • jaredjared College Station, TX Icrontian
    edited July 2009
    Just do a little digging on Lifehacker, they have posted guides, how-tos, and links that you will find helpful.
  • fmuellerfmueller Auckland, NZ Icrontian
    edited July 2009
    I didn't know that. Better forget about it in this case.
  • MAGICMAGIC Doot Doot Furniture City, Michigan Icrontian
    edited July 2009
    IMO, the safest way to go about it is to set up a home theatre pc and rip or download all of your movies to it. Then you dont have to worry about having to keep making copies of your collection.
  • GooDGooD Quebec (CAN) Member
    edited July 2009
    Just to know, do you know a good program to rip dvd without losing quality (to store into a home theatre pc) ? Im thinking about doing that sooner than later :)

Thankx
  • mertesnmertesn I am Bobby Miller Yukon, OK Icrontian
    edited July 2009
    GooD wrote:
    Just to know, do you know a good program to rip dvd without losing quality (to store into a home theatre pc) ? Im thinking about doing that sooner than later :)

Thankx

There are many programs out there for ripping a DVD. For more information, check this Wikipedia article. It's a good start. You shouldn't have to pay for software in this case (though the article lists a few for-pay apps)

Just ripping the DVD will not cause a loss of quality. Recompressing the video in a format such as XviD could potentially lead to a loss depending on your settings. As for encoding videos for an HTPC, AutoGK and Handbrake are very good.
    edited July 2009
    LoL, thankx for the post Mertesn :)

But before you did say it i read about AutoGK and already did some High quality Xvid, its not as good as DVD quality, but i don't see the difference on my TV. I tried a lot of ripp program and AutoGK is the easiest to use for sure.
  • GnomeWizarddGnomeWizardd Member 4 Life Akron, PA Icrontian
    edited July 2009
    I am not too sure on what software myself, I want to rip all my dvds o my pc ( its hooked to my TV Via HDMI and my sound system via Optical ) and start using my pc as a home theater, If anyone has any suggestion on what to use I am open to it. I am trying handbrake but not too keen on it
  • ThraxThrax 🐌 Austin, TX Icrontian
    edited July 2009
    AutoGK.
    edited July 2009
    Yep AutoGK, if you want high quality and don't mind the extra space it will take you can make good rip for ~1.8gig for a movie of 1h30 or so and on my tv i can't tell the diffrence execpt that Xvid create a more "sharper" image than usual, wich can be noticable to the eye on some scene. I tried DivX but i prefer Xvid encoding (with my own personnal result). Its closest to the DVD image quality. Just remind you, the more you compress, the less quality you have. To save space you can compress to 85%, but i started to notice a difference at that point. Sweet spot seems to be 90%, at that point i could barely see the difference between 90 and 100%.

Also, if you dont mind the original sound strack and dont care about having stereo sound you can save space by ripping the audio in mp3 :)

Anyway thats just my .02 since i've been playing with it for a week or so ;) Make your own experiment and find your own preference =)