So I just got my new work laptop...

GrimnocGrimnoc Marion, IN
edited July 2009 in Hardware
and it's an IBM Thinkpad. Do you know what this means? It means friggin' awesome 80's chunky-ness. I mean, you could kill a man with this thing, flat out. Zed's dead, babe. He's toast of the don't pass go, don't collect $200 variety.

Here's the point, I am not a fan of the whole sleeker-is-cooler asthetic at all. I know, I know, it's all just individual preference. But really, does everything have to be Apple-ized these days (I am not slurring Apple here, just the asthetic).

Case in point:

Stupid remake (just of the bridge, not the actual movie)
http://www.slashfilm.com/wp/wp-content/images/startrekbridge.jpg

Pure awesome
http://goularts.us/images/startrekbridge1.jpg

So back to the IBM Thinkpad.
The actual hardware is so-so (it's just a work laptop after all), but at least it knows what it is; a laptop. No dumb redesigns by people who sit around and sip candy-coffee all day while only listening to "Float On" by Modest Mouse (psss...which is a great song off a great album, but give their pre-Good News for People Who Love Bad News albums a turn and you will have a completely different perspective of them), instead we get a chunk of metal and silicone which would make David Bowie (80's Bowie of course) jealous.

Also, I have a nub. You know what I'm talking about, that little red guy we all love so much regardless of how useless he actually is.

*To complete the package I'm totally installing DOOM on it tonight.

Comments

• SnarkasmSnarkasm Madison, WI Icrontian
    edited July 2009
    I, too, love my Thinkpad. Function over form, and built like a tank.

'Tis not for all, of course, but I like mine all the same.
  • ardichokeardichoke Icrontian
    edited July 2009
    I loved my Lenovo 3000 series... which was basically a ThinkPad without the branding and with slightly cheaper hardware. Got it for under 600 bucks and it got me through the last 2 years of college as well as the first year of my career. I did enjoy the lack of shiny bits to get scuffed and smudged, etc. That said, my new laptop (MSI EX630) is a slice of heaven. Way more power than the old Lenovo (which is now serving as my personal colocated testbed webserver at my work, LOL!) nicer screen, lighter. If I could choose a matte finish instead of the glossyness I would have though.
  • fmuellerfmueller Auckland, NZ Icrontian
    edited July 2009
    I don't even know what the new Thinkpads look like, but my wife just got a new Dell laptop from work. It looks very much like an old Thinkpad A31 I just retired - very retro, boxy, sharp edges. Not my kind of thing - the battery sticks out about an inch at the back and is chrome, as if it was some sort of special feature :shakehead

But it does have a power supply plug that is illuminated in blue, of all the ueber-cool colors! Anybody owning a new Dell laptop can now listen to Elton John's 'Candle in the Wind' without ever running out of gas in their firelighter again!

Dell-lit-up-PS.jpg