Thoughts on Speedlite 270ex

shwaipshwaip bluffin' with my muffin Icrontian
edited July 2009 in Lifestyle
It's the low-end shoe-mount flash for canon cameras...
270ex

270ex_586x225.jpg

I'd like to upgrade from my on-camera flash - you can tilt it to bounce the flash. I'm debating between this and the 430exII
430EXII_586x225.jpg

Comments

• SnarkasmSnarkasm Madison, WI Icrontian
    edited July 2009
    If you're debating, get the 430. If/when you step up to the 580, you can slave the 430 remotely; if you get the 270, that's all you can do with it.
  • primesuspectprimesuspect Beepin n' Boopin Detroit, MI Icrontian
    edited July 2009
    I have the 430, exactly because one day I want to do off-camera flash. It is a solid investment, and will last you for a long time, first as your primary flash, then as a slave to a 580 when you're all pro and stuff
  • shwaipshwaip bluffin' with my muffin Icrontian
    edited July 2009
    bought the 430 and a set of extension tubes.
    edited July 2009
    Nice additions! What will you be extending?
  • KwitkoKwitko Sheriff of Banning (Retired) By the thing near the stuff Icrontian
    edited July 2009
    My loins.
    edited July 2009
    once they approve my credit card (grr). i'll probably be using the extension tubes with my 50 mm prime. They're supposed to work with any lens, but the choice is between:

50 mm f/1.8 ef
    17-85 ef-s w/is
    18-200 ef-s w/is
    kit lens
    edited July 2009
    Extending the 50 will make it a nasty macro - that's what I ran with before I ever got my macro lenses.
    edited July 2009
    yeah, that's what i was hoping. It should be a lot of fun to play with :)
    edited July 2009
    One piece of advice, then - get an off-shoe flash cord for the 430. The extension (and the relative distance you'll need to be from your subject) means the barrel will hide most of your flash from the subject if it's mounted up top. You'll need either a ring flash, abundant natural/ambient light, or off-camera flash to get the best lighting for the macros. Of those three, the off-shoe cable is the cheapest and most reliable - and you don't NEED to get the Canon one, I have this Promaster and it suits me fine, though they're a bit short. For macros, it won't be an issue to get it to the end of your barrel.
  • primesuspectprimesuspect Beepin n' Boopin Detroit, MI Icrontian
    edited July 2009
    That cable looks sweet. It never occurred to me to use a cord for that, but it makes a lot of sense.
    edited July 2009
    edited July 2009
    Canon's current cable is the OC-E3; this looks like the FC-E3, but what I can see on the internets say they're "compatible." It looks fine to me, and the guy at least has a good rating. Check the specs on Amazon for the FC-E3 and make sure - it does list a couple of camera incompatibilities.
    edited July 2009
    it's not a canon cable - i emailed the dude.