2009.07.15 "Trees" discussion

primesuspectprimesuspect Beepin n' BoopinDetroit, MI Icrontian
edited July 2009 in Lifestyle
Trees

Comments

• primesuspectprimesuspect Beepin n' Boopin Detroit, MI Icrontian
    edited July 2009
    Dras: I like; maybe a little richer would have been cooler. Colors seem a bit washed out. Also, you've set the bar very high for your compositional skills with yesterday's entry so I'm gonna hold you to that from now on :D
    edited July 2009
    Mine was a composite of four photos taken today. I originally had an idea to compose a shot with my bonsai tree next to a huge pine tree, but I snapped about 15 different angles before I gave the idea up as a wash. While I was framing one of the shots, I saw an interesting light inside of the pine tree in front of my house, so I went in there and starting shooting. I ended up getting a shot that made me think of giant "world trees" like Teldrassil or the world tree from Faxanadu.

That led me to start getting some closeups to make it look like a massive tree; to give it scale I needed little people on it. So I guess this photo could be considered a followup to the "Magic Tree" photo I took five years ago.

The branch and the hole are two different photos, and then I shot my kids. Perry was very poseable, as I told him my idea, but he wouldn't get "in character"; I had originally envisioned him shirtless (imagine - the one time I actually WANT him shirtless), and with dirt on his face and a staff. A wild kid. He left his walking stick at my parents' house and he wouldn't let me get him dirty, so this was the best I could get. Kyle was a much less willing model, as I was infringing on his reading time. He reluctantly stood in front of my backdrop, and just sort of went limp. Meh.

The shadows are invented, of course. I didn't do very good with them, but this was the first time I ever tried. I wanted it to look more menacing - like two lost little boys on a dark, horrible branch with only a little lantern to light their way. I don't think I captured that at all, but the end result still looks sorta cool.
  • SidekicksolSidekicksol Kansas City, Kansas
    edited July 2009
    My god. I look at that photo and go "wat" and then simultaneously "omg".

Prime, your pictar skillz are epic.
  • mondimondi Icrontian
    edited July 2009
    Nice Brian, I actually came here to call you out on the reference to the Magic Tree, but I see you did that yourself :)

The biggest problem is of course that the shadows are completely planar, and don't follow the shape of the tree at all. Try using illustrator to sketch the contours behind the boys, where you think the shadow would fall, then use that to create the shadow shape and blur it a little, should help quite a bit. Also, their general shape suggests a much more distant light than the lantern, which confuses the eye a little.

Dras: I agree with Brian in that a little more tonal variation would definitely benefit your image. The biggest issue I find with shots like this, is that lacking a particular point of focus, the eye tends to wander a little. Some deeper shadows, and perhaps a little more distinction in the 2 main colors would help alleviate that.
  • drasnordrasnor Starship Operator Hawthorne, CA Icrontian
    edited July 2009
    I'm inexperienced with color/tone changes in postprocessing. Could you suggest a tool/filter/thingy?

-drasnor :fold:
  • ReyReyReyRey Greenville, SC
    edited July 2009
    Brian you woulda had a field day with this tree! It's pretty amazing!
    Here are a couple other shots I took there.
    tree3.jpg

tree2.jpg
  • MrTRiotMrTRiot Northern Ontario Icrontian
    edited July 2009
    When I get a decent digital camera I'll take a pic of the 150ft silver maple in my backyard and add it to this thread...
  • RyderRyder Kalamazoo, Mi Icrontian
    edited July 2009
    Put the pictures in this thread: http://icrontic.com/forum/showthread.php?t=84641
  • shwaipshwaip bluffin' with my muffin Icrontian
    edited July 2009
    she did - she just had a few more to share :)
    edited July 2009
    Snark: I'm not sure if this is a critique or not; when I saw the photo, I immediately knew it was yours. I guess that means you've developed a style :D I don't know how to say this, but I guess what I mean is that I kind of predicted you'd go this route. Perhaps your gear is constraining you into a single style? I was hoping to see something wildly different from your purple photo.

That said, this photo is excellent. Again, I cannot critique the photo itself.

Rey: Holy crap what a great choice of subject. The way you framed it is sublime. Awesome. The only thing I'd suggest is more contrast to bring out the drama of the shadows; that tree is dramatic as hell.
  • RyderRyder Kalamazoo, Mi Icrontian
    edited July 2009
    shwaip wrote:
    she did - she just had a few more to share :)
    I was referring to Mr Triot ;)
  • mondimondi Icrontian
    edited July 2009
    @ReyRey: I like your choice of subject much more than I like that particular shot. I like the 2 shots in this thread a lot more :) - Where is that?

@Dras: I'm not sure if you want to filter it. I'd recommend playing with your exposure settings before doing any post processing, although if that's not a possibility, then perhaps you could look into brightness / contrast / shadow / highlight combinations.

@Snark: I think it'd would have been a lot more interesting if you got really close and abstract with it, but then again, thats more of a style judgement than anything else .. superb technically.

That said, I did have to do a bit of post on my image for this theme - I have really crappy yellow lighting, so I had to cool it down a fair bit.
    edited July 2009
    It's in downtown Greenville, SC. I believe the shot I posted originally was shot by my husband..we kept switching the camera back and forth. I thought it showcased the "whole" tree better than the rest. However, I like the two I posted her better also. If I had shot the one he did I would've played with the settings more.
  • QCHQCH Ancient Guru Chicago Area - USA Icrontian
    edited July 2009
    For those that don't know what tree this is (Detroit folks)... its a Coconut tree. ;D
    edited July 2009
    Black Hawk: Your tree makes me want a frozen drink! I like the pic for other reasons too.
    edited July 2009
    Mondi: Great pic. maybe slightly "too" dramatic, but other than that, I like everything about it.

BH: I normally don't go for the "up the trunk" shots, but your choice of subject and the way you framed it make it work. I really like this photo.

Plus, I'm jealous for having never seen a real coconut tree :p
    edited July 2009
    Nemi: nice! the colors are brilliant!
    edited July 2009
    Gnome: The colors are vibrant, but it seems like just a random point-the-camera-up-at-the-trees shot. There's really no composition there. Might want to look around and see if you can find something interesting in the shot to draw the eye towards - as it stands it's just a frame full of leaves.

Nate: I think your camera is holding you back, bro.
  • Nate_LapTNate_LapT Ferndale MI. Icrontian
    edited July 2009
    its a camera phone, I know it sucks :|
    Im gonna go downtown shortly there is a tree I want to get there, doubt it'll come out though, my phone sucks, and sucks worse in the dark.
  • SnarkasmSnarkasm Madison, WI Icrontian
    edited July 2009
    @Brian - I do apologize, but having to shoot all three on one night crushed my will for variation. I also fully recognize that my border and watermark scheme is hella formulaic, and have already planned modifications to that - but you'll have to deal with at least one more image in that vein.

@Mondi - I do have some alternatives that I think you'd like, but in the end, I went with this one. I had several where I was trying to go for the tilt-shift miniature kind of look, but time constraints pushed me to this one; I ended up liking the definition a lot. I still have the tree, so I'm going to attempt that one again when I get back. :)

@BH - I fucking love the colors and lens flare in your shot. Well goddamn done, sir.

@reyrey - Freakin' sweet tree, I love it. I can't shake the feeling that some of the roots are suffering from some motion blur.

@Dras - Little washed out, not quite enough definition for me. I like the mottled look, but I feel like you could have gotten more out of it.

@Brian again - cheater :p I always like your miniature series, though, so well done. Mondi already pointed out what I would have.

@Mondi again - I like your choice of exposure here. Half-hidden in shadow is a nice touch.

@Nemi - scary-looking tree. Nice contrast of the really bright green against the really dark, veiny branches.

@GW - I like the variation in leaves, but it doesn't really do anything for me as a picture.

@Nate - :tim:
    edited July 2009
    Shwaip: I'm jealous. That's sort of the idea I was going for with my bonsai / big tree idea. You pulled it off. I like the theme.
    edited July 2009
    dras - i like it! i think it would be much better if it were shot a bit darker - the sun would still over expose parts, but the leaves and colors would look much darker and richer

prime - good idea, but the bad shadows kill it. i think that if you're going to photoshop something like that in, it needs to be pretty perfect. my eyes are drawn to the flat shadows, not the photo (which is very well composed, imo)

snark - when i look at the small pic, it looks great, but when i look at the bigger size, i think it would be _much_ better if all the plant were in focus. otherwise, excellent.

reyrey - very cool!

mondi - i'm distracted a little by the two lights out of focus on the left. otherwise, i really like it.

bh - i really like how the leaves on the tree look

nemi - i love the color

gw - same! I love how it's green everywhere, and i really like that shade. I feel like i'm in a forest.

me - Unfortunately, the tree wasn't quite centered, so that's not quite ideal. Also, the focus on the front tree is off a bit.
    edited July 2009
    Nate, with bad gear, that doesn't mean you are forced to take bad photos. See the constraints of your camera as a challenge. Clearly you have no control over aperture or exposure; therefore the only real creative choice you have is subject and composition.

Sometimes limiting yourself in this way can help you grow your skills. You KNOW you can't take "technically" great photos with your camera phone, so it's up to you to really wow people with composition, contrast, and subject.
  • drasnordrasnor Starship Operator Hawthorne, CA Icrontian
    edited July 2009
    I updated my entry on my DeviantArt page: http://drasnor.deviantart.com/art/Afternoon-Shade-129531435. Thanks for all the suggestions, I really like how it turned out after a little postprocessing.

-drasnor :fold:
    edited July 2009
    CB: Awesome shot; I love it. It's a very interesting take on the subject

Doc: Great shot! The spiky fruit things are exactly what is needed to break up the monotony of a bunch of leaves. Nice entry!
    edited July 2009
    CB: it's good - the only comment I have is that it's a bit blurry - probably the 1/6s shutter speed
  • CBCB Ƹ̵̡Ӝ̵̨̄Ʒ Der Millionendorf- Icrontian
    edited July 2009
    shwaip wrote:
    CB: it's good - the only comment I have is that it's a bit blurry - probably the 1/6s shutter speed

/me nods.

I almost submitted a different photo instead because this one was blurrier than I thought it would be when I took it, but I really liked how it came out otherwise.

If it wasn't dark out by the time I got to look at it, I would have gone out and shot it again with different settings. I usually take each shot with several different adjustments, but I was being EATEN ALIVE by mosquitoes, so I was rushing a bit.
    edited July 2009
    Bandrik: That is an awesome photo! EXCELLENT concept, composition, everything
  • GargGarg Purveyor of Lincoln Nightmares Icrontian
    edited July 2009
    I love all these tree shots! I'm crazy busy trying to meet a deadline today, so I didn't think I was going to get a chance to participate. But then I saw this tree canopy lit up from the underside by a street lamp outside my building here on campus, and I couldn't resist.

Sadly, my camera is a five-year-old point-and-shoot with not a lot of options/settings. Still, trees are one of my favorite subjects, so I'm glad I got to throw one up.
  • DocFrazierDocFrazier Gladbrook, IA Icrontian
    edited July 2009
    Thanks, thats the Buckeye tree in my back yard, I really really wanted to call the shot, "That Tree's Got Nuts!" but i dunno if a buckeye is actually a "nut"