What's your favorite gear?

shwaipshwaip bluffin' with my muffin Icrontian
edited July 2009 in Lifestyle
I have a Canon Digital Rebel XT that I shoot with and 3 lenses (+ kit lens) for it. But i think my favorite to shoot with is my 50mm f/1.8 prime. It's a cheap, light, and fast prime. I definitely like shooting with it the most - I have an 18-200 that I use for sporting events and a 17-85 that I carry sometimes. These are much heavier/bulkier and the prime lets me do way more interesting things with the DOF, so I think it spends the most time on my camera.

What about you?

Comments

• primesuspectprimesuspect Beepin n' Boopin Detroit, MI Icrontian
    edited July 2009
    My favorite piece of gear is definitely my 430EX flash.

I know, i know... body, etc. Trust me, I love my camera ( :D ) but the flash really changed the game for me. Even when I had my "crappy" body, putting the 430EX on there really improved the quality of my photos.
  • GHoosdumGHoosdum Icrontian
    edited July 2009
    My favorite piece of gear has to be my tripod. The stability it offers makes up for the fact that my only other piece of gear (my Canon Poweshot A630 camera) turns into a hunk of crap in anything other than full light. The upshot of having a camera that only takes good photos in ideal conditions is that it is slowly (achingly slowly) forcing me to become a better photographer.
  • GnomeQueenGnomeQueen The Lulz Queen Mountain Dew Mouth Icrontian
    edited July 2009
    The 8 pound weights in my basement that I use to work out my arms so I can lug around my dad's old Yashica FR II. :D
  • DocFrazierDocFrazier Gladbrook, IA Icrontian
    edited July 2009
    Wish i know where my old manual was, that was my favorite piece, definably what got me into photography in HS. I don't remember the model but if it turns up, i'll defiantly show pictures. (lulz, pictures of a camera)
  • SnarkasmSnarkasm Madison, WI Icrontian
    edited July 2009
    The 50 1.4... though the 580EX is working its way up there, solely for the remote slave trigger capability.
  • ReyReyReyRey Greenville, SC
    edited July 2009
    I have a 580 too....LOVE it!
    Esp cause I do some event stuff and it's so much fun to use out and about!
  • AlexDeGruvenAlexDeGruven Wut? Meechigan Icrontian
    edited July 2009
    In relation to the actual content of the question:

I picked up a Sigma 28-70 f/2.8 for Christmas. With the exception of some super-low-light tinkering w/my 50mm 1.7, it hasn't left the body since.
  • chrisWhitechrisWhite Littleton, CO
    edited July 2009
    I'm going to take this out of the box a little, I'm not sure it's my favorite piece of gear but one of my coolest is a tiny little Pelican case that's just slightly larger then my Rebel XT and my main lens. I can't recall exactly which model it was and I don't have my camera with me but it was something along the lines of the 1120. Now, it's not the most practical case for everything, I still like a sling over the shoulder bag but if I'm taking it anywhere I feel like it needs to be protected then this little case rocks. Great padding, very strong, this thing is like a nalgene bottle and it's waterproof, and I mean throw it in a pond and don't worry about it waterproof.
  • drasnordrasnor Starship Operator Hawthorne, CA Icrontian
    edited July 2009
    My PowerShot SD600 is my favorite piece of equipment. Don't get me wrong, it's a joy to work with my EOS 20D and 580EX; but when I'm walking around on an average day and see something awesome the SD600 is the camera I'm going to take that shot with.

-drasnor :fold:
  • NomadNomad A Small Piece of Hell Icrontian
    edited July 2009
    I enjoy this old f/1.8 50mm with manual focus and no light metering.
  • primesuspectprimesuspect Beepin n' Boopin Detroit, MI Icrontian
    edited July 2009
    That's pretty much what Jackie is using: f/1.9 50mm yashica with manual focus and no metering.