2009.07.16 "Computer Parts" discussion

WagsFTWWagsFTW Grand Rapids, MI Icrontian
edited July 2009 in Lifestyle
Nate, you should sell keychains like that with old computer parts. I bet people would buy those. set up an etsy shop! :)

And Snark, why do you have to top everybody off with your super-pro pics? :P I wish I had a decent camera to contribute to this thread. Maybe I'll add a few things later.

Comments

• primesuspectprimesuspect Beepin n' Boopin Detroit, MI Icrontian
    edited July 2009
    Dras: Good technical quality, but a rather pedestrian composition.

GH: I like it. Maybe a slight adjustment to white balance would have made it perfect.

Nate: Keychains: Be more conscious of your backgrounds. Otherwise, you're improving

Snark: Excellent skill exercised in capturing the vibrant blue and green

CB: Other than slight blurriness, I think it's grand.

Doc: I like the fact that you put it outside. Interesting twist to use the background to contrast the subject.

Gnome: Maybe a little softening to get rid of the dust/speckles?

Regan: Awesome! the only thing I can suggest is to maybe bring the monitor closer and straighten the lines in the photo.

k: it's a little incoherent as far as what the subject actually is. My eye wanders all over the place.

Nemikan: Subject and composition are fantastic and very creative; I wish it were less blurry.
  • Nate_LapTNate_LapT Ferndale MI. Icrontian
    edited July 2009
    Wags, that's all I have for inventory :(
    well I have a few more simms laying around somewhere but no keychain rings to put on them.

Shwaip: will it blend?
    edited July 2009
    Shwaip: I love it! It's creative, well lit, and hilarious. Great photo!
  • ReyReyReyRey Greenville, SC
    edited July 2009
    Schwaip: I love it too!! So clever..

I was blah on today's, little time and not too many options..
  • RyderRyder Kalamazoo, Mi Icrontian
    edited July 2009
    Shwaip: Will it blend? Fabulous, way to use your noggin ^5
  • drasnordrasnor Starship Operator Hawthorne, CA Icrontian
    edited July 2009
    @prime: I considered not entering one for this because I couldn't think of anything interesting to photograph. The only thing I like about mine is that there are only three predominant 'lines' in the composition which seemed to capture the orderliness of a computer. I appreciate the compliment on technique, that's what I'm working on here.

GH: I like where you're going here. My $0.02: there's some really interesting things you can do with reflections off the disk surface with a little more light.

CB: Lovely. The light off the different mouse textures is beautiful.

Doc: I don't like it. I can't put my finger on why though, so I'm sorry that this is completely unhelpful :(.

Nate: I like the latest keychain shot you put up. The others needed more focus.

Snark: I'm still trying to figure out the composition. Is the hard drive sitting inside the BORB? How do you get the stuff lit up like that with no background?

GW: I like the lighting and the reflections off the table, but seriously: clean your RAM :P. Also, I think this one could have benefited from a little more depth of field and moving the focus a tad closer to the camera.

ReyRey: Did you take a photo of yourself on the iMac built-in camera? Very clever either way. Front flash makes things harder than necessary when photographing monitors. A well-lit room or bouncing your flash off a wall helps.

k: Your flash is causing some serious glare. You might want to consider taping a piece of paper over your flash to soften it down some when taking pics of glossy things with a front flash.

shwaip: I like it, but I can't stop imagining what this would look like with the glass right next to the blender, zoomed in without the walls and stairway. Standing on the other side of that island would probably help a bit with the glare off the blender.

Nemikan: I love it. Now I know what keeps killing my Radeons. The green background is pretty funny in this context.
    edited July 2009
    Marushka: It took me a split second, then I lol'ed.

Your pic is cute and "uncanny valley" disturbing at the same time. :D
  • MarushkaMarushka cambridge, ma Icrontian
    edited July 2009
    prime, I got yours RIGHT away, even without explanation it totally looks like an army and you definitely get the feeling of motion like marching. I love it!
  • NemikanNemikan Icrontian
    edited July 2009
    drasnor wrote:
    Nemikan: I love it. Now I know what keeps killing my Radeons. The green background is pretty funny in this context.

Its actually a Geforce 8800 GT :P but s'all good :)
  • SnarkasmSnarkasm Madison, WI Icrontian
    edited July 2009
    ReyRey - what an amazingly cute picture. I love it!

Marushka - very clever idea. Well done. :D

Shwaip - What a fantastic composition. All three of you are wonderfully clever and creative, and I'm pretty envious right now. GREAT shot.

Dras - very nice - orderly while still being cluttered. I like the framing a lot.

GHoos - Classic. Great subject.

CB - cool shot, but it suffers from the same thing almost all macros do - the proximity of the subject to the lens forces out almost all the light. That's all it could use - a little more light. Good shot, though.

Doc - great lighting and background. Tech vs nature is always a good theme.

k - definite clutter. I don't know where to look, but I do like that spiffy clock.

Nemikan - very cool idea! It looks like it got a little blurry, but the composition is excellent.

Prime - if you hadn't started off explaining it, I might have gotten it on my own. If I didn't, I probably would have gone with DIMMs as grass... which would also have been a cool shot. Unimportant - it's still a great shot.

Dras, the image I was going for was parts stretching to eternity, but my crop didn't reflect that correctly. As for the lighting, there was a softbox at left and I oriented the camera so the 580 was at right so it could get lit from both sides. Voila:

3718827169_2ffe5ab4eb.jpg

I do apologize for the boredom of the shot, and Wags... thanks, I think... Now to get to work on my water shot...
  • ThraxThrax 🐌 Austin, TX Icrontian
    edited July 2009
    I'm not usually one to comment on photography (I have trouble appreciating visual art), but I thought that Shwaip's was fantastically clever and well-produced.
  • BuddyJBuddyJ Dept. of Propaganda OKC Icrontian
    edited July 2009
    Marushka's pic made me laugh.

Prime's army was cute.
  • ReyReyReyRey Greenville, SC
    edited July 2009
    Drasnor-
    I did take the pic on the screen with the built in mac camera and then shoot it...Also, I thought about putting on my external flash to get better lighting but frankly I was in a time crunch and too lazy to go dig for it. Look for better things tommorow ;o)
  • shwaipshwaip bluffin' with my muffin Icrontian
    edited July 2009
    drasnor - it definitely fits the theme - but it also just kinda looks like a shot of the inside of a computer.

gh - i really like it!

snark - the colors are very vivid and eye-catching. The 'no background' effect is also really cool.

cb - also, i really like it. i agree with snark, maybe a bit more light and it would be awesome.

reyrey - nice. i think it might me a bit better without the screen refreshing off to the left of the monitor.

nemikan - the version that's up there now is much sharper. cool idea, well executed!

Marushka - NOOOOOOOO THAT IS MY FAVORITE ARM. :) It's really cool! Like prime said, it's getting to the point where it almost looks real. creepy :)

prime - very cool idea, well composed and executed!

Thank you all for your kind words about my photo. I had the idea last night and couldn't wait to shoot it. I had to make a grocery run to pick up some broccoli for my fake ramshake.