I apologize

edited July 2009 in Community
for not disabling adblock. I just noticed that 3 of 5 computers I regularly use were still blocking icrontic.com. Now all of them are unblocked. I am posting to remind everyone else.

Comments

• shwaipshwaip bluffin' with my muffin Icrontian
    edited July 2009
    attachment.php?attachmentid=16445&d=1117824414
    APOLOGY ACCEPTED

(gotta bust it out every few years)
  • edited July 2009
    Thank you Mr. President.
  • LincLinc Owner Detroit Icrontian
    edited July 2009
    If you want to get rid of ads in a way that doesn't hurt the site.... ;)
  • KoreishKoreish I'm a penguin, deal with it. KCMO Icrontian
    edited July 2009
    You know, besides two easily ignorable ads at the top of the screen I've never thought advertising here was all that bad.
  • ThraxThrax 🐌 Austin, TX Icrontian
    edited July 2009
    Icrontic has just about the least offensive advertising on the internet. Were we another site, we'd have huge skyscraper ads running down the unused spaces flanking the content column.
  • SnarkasmSnarkasm Madison, WI Icrontian
    edited July 2009
    Hell, I bought polos, which got me subscriber status, and asked that my ads be restored. That's how unobtrusive they are to me.
  • UPSLynxUPSLynx :KAPPA: Redwood City, CA Icrontian
    edited July 2009
    Thrax wrote:
    Icrontic has just about the least offensive advertising on the internet. Were we another site, we'd have huge skyscraper ads running down the unused spaces flanking the content column.

Don't forget the video ads that have 'ROLL OVER TO HEAR MORE BLAH BLAH' and you accidentally roll over and it starts playing, loudly, some BS testimonial, and you cross it out, and it shrinks back down to size, and as you attempt to return your mouse back to position you ROLL OVER IT AGAIN, and the cycle continues.
  • chrisWhitechrisWhite Littleton, CO
    edited July 2009
    I totally agree, the ads on Icrontic are really unobtrusive 99% of the time. The only ones I loath are Kontera ads but those only show up on old articles so it's not that big of a deal.

So I used to use adblock for a while before I stopped and thought about the effect it has on all the sites I use every day who only exist because of the advertising. Once I thought about it I uninstalled it off my browsers but I'm curious what you guys think of the issue ethically.
  • ThraxThrax 🐌 Austin, TX Icrontian
    edited July 2009
    I block sites that run irritating ads. I unblock sites that I love.
  • NiGHTSNiGHTS San Diego Icrontian
    edited July 2009
    UPSLynx wrote:
    Don't forget the video ads that have 'ROLL OVER TO HEAR MORE BLAH BLAH' and you accidentally roll over and it starts playing, loudly, some BS testimonial, and you cross it out, and it shrinks back down to size, and as you attempt to return your mouse back to position you ROLL OVER IT AGAIN, and the cycle continues.

Which, oddly enough, I happened to come across last night on this site. Didn't think to take a screenshot of it at the time, though, since I know we poo-poo them here.
  • LincLinc Owner Detroit Icrontian
    edited July 2009
    NiGHTS wrote:
    I happened to come across last night on this site.
    Unfortunately, we can ill-afford to completely disallow that style of expanding ad. We selectively end campaigns that are over the top, but in general they continue to be permitted.
  • chrisWhitechrisWhite Littleton, CO
    edited July 2009
    No, I think this setup is just fine Linc, don't change it, especially when people have the option to support the site and disable it. It's not so much the nature of expanding that drives me nuts, it that I see them and I think it's a link to something relevant to the article, just catches my eye in the midst of a post.
  • Nate_LapTNate_LapT Ferndale MI. Icrontian
    edited July 2009
    $2/month seems quite cheap, though I cant afford to pay anything I'll just visit interesting google ad's for now.