Getting a camera. Suggestions?

BuddyJBuddyJ Dept. of PropagandaOKC Icrontian
edited July 2009 in Lifestyle
I'm buying a camera for my birthday thanks to some sweet funds that have come my way.

I'm looking at the Canon EOS Rebel XSi Black Digital SLR Camera w/EF-S 18-55mm f/3.5-5.6 IS Lens kit sold through Newegg (affiliate link FTW). Any suggestions regarding this kit? Sub-$700 is my budget, and I'd like to stick with Canon since I've got some Canon lenses floating around here somewhere.

Comments

• shwaipshwaip bluffin' with my muffin Icrontian
    edited July 2009
    mmm http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16830120357

It's 770 :(, but slickdeals has a deal about every two weeks that'll put it under 700. (also it shoots 1080p video)

what are the other lenses you have around? It may or may not be worth getting the kit lens.
  • GnomeQueenGnomeQueen The Lulz Queen Mountain Dew Mouth Icrontian
    edited July 2009
    Yashica FR II's are like...$20 on Ebay :D
  • SnarkasmSnarkasm Madison, WI Icrontian
    edited July 2009
    Agree; if you've got decent lenses already, may as well just drop a bit more and go for the T1I. If IC's going the video review route, we may as well have hardware that can do it for us, and that'd make three HD video options (Linc's new camera, the T1I for you, and the 5D of mine) that we can contribute towards that end.

That said, if you have crap lenses, you may need a kitter to start with. Let us know what you're working with.
  • ardichokeardichoke Icrontian
    edited July 2009
    Yashica FR II's are like...$20 on Ebay :D
    ... and now I'm tempted to drop 20 bucks on something I really don't need. Thanks a lot GQ.
  • GnomeQueenGnomeQueen The Lulz Queen Mountain Dew Mouth Icrontian
    edited July 2009
    ardichoke wrote:
    ... and now I'm tempted to drop 20 bucks on something I really don't need. Thanks a lot GQ.

:D
  • BuddyJBuddyJ Dept. of Propaganda OKC Icrontian
    edited July 2009
    28-90mm f/4-5.6 is the lens we've got, along with some filters etc.

Also, we have a Canon ZR500 MiniDV video camera here at the house already. I think it'd suffice for producing web videos.
  • SnarkasmSnarkasm Madison, WI Icrontian
    edited July 2009
    The lens you have bests the lens you would get with a kit. It's your choice how you spend your money, but the 18-55 is not significantly better than that 28-90, most likely.
  • Nate_LapTNate_LapT Ferndale MI. Icrontian
    edited July 2009
    I have my Sony HDV-HC3 well once I send it out AGAIN :\ damn sony shit ass repair teams