2009.07.19 "Musical Instrument" discussion

CBCB Ƹ̵̡Ӝ̵̨̄ƷDer Millionendorf- Icrontian
edited July 2009 in Lifestyle
I just want to say that my model was very difficult to work with.

Comments

• SnarkasmSnarkasm Madison, WI Icrontian
    edited July 2009
    Resulted in a very good picture nonetheless, good sir. Well done.
  • primesuspectprimesuspect Beepin n' Boopin Detroit, MI Icrontian
    edited July 2009
    CB: Great light, great composition, great angle. It could stand a bit of color correction, but other than that, great job!

GQ: I LOVE this photo. I hope you figured out the scratches issue

Snark: What were you trying to do here? I can't make heads or tails of this photo, and it looks more like an excuse to play with your flash. Sorry, bro. :(

Shwaip: I like

GH: Not sure what it is; this is a very common photograph of a guitar (I mean, a lot of people choose this angle) so you need something to give it some character.
  • CBCB Ƹ̵̡Ӝ̵̨̄Ʒ Der Millionendorf- Icrontian
    edited July 2009
    CB: Great light, great composition, great angle. It could stand a bit of color correction, but other than that, great job!

Thanks. I already had to take a lot of the yellow out of the shot to make it look okay because those keys are indeed yellow (more yellow than the picture currently shows). That's what happens when ivory sits around in a wooden box for 120 years.

Also, this subject was my first attempt to use my custom white balance and it did not give me a desirable result. I'll have to play with it more.
  • GHoosdumGHoosdum Icrontian
    edited July 2009
    I really thought that the custom artwork by my family friend was what gave it character, but perhaps it's not.
  • SnarkasmSnarkasm Madison, WI Icrontian
    edited July 2009
    Snark: What were you trying to do here? I can't make heads or tails of this photo, and it looks more like an excuse to play with your flash. Sorry, bro. :(

Nobody asked you to be sorry. If you don't like a picture, you don't like a picture; no need to apologize.

It's a didgeridoo. It's about 6 feet long, it's essentially just a hollow branch, but it has fantastic coloring that I wanted to bring out. Focusing the flash on exactly one point gave me somewhere to draw focus and exemplify the coloring.
  • primesuspectprimesuspect Beepin n' Boopin Detroit, MI Icrontian
    edited July 2009
    Don't get me wrong, I'm not trying to tear apart the photos; I'm trying to tell you my instinctual reactions to them without sugarcoating it. If it helps to make you think about the next shot, then I guess that's all I was hoping for. If it pisses you off, that's not my intention :(

GH: The focus is off the artwork, it's slightly above the artwork closer to the bridge. The artwork is awesome, but the way the photo is composed or executed doesn't make it LOOK like the artwork is the focus. Maybe a light pointing on the artwork to call it out or something?
  • MarushkaMarushka cambridge, ma Icrontian
    edited July 2009
    Snark: I knew right away it was a didgeridoo. I have seen a few before and they are just gorgeous. I really liked this shot too, I think you did something creative with an instrument that is probably difficult to capture in length.

CB: Is that real ivory? I can see the wear on the edges and the sections on the keytops. I bet it feels gorgeous to play. My mom had a stand-up when we were kids, but nothing this lovely. I had a friend that restored one a while back.
  • BetsyDBetsyD Cincinnati, OH Icrontian
    edited July 2009
    Marushka wrote:
    CB: Is that real ivory? I can see the wear on the edges and the sections on the keytops. I bet it feels gorgeous to play. My mom had a stand-up when we were kids, but nothing this lovely. I had a friend that restored one a while back.

Yes it's real ivory. I spent two years restoring the piano. All thats left is to tune it, but I'm procrastinating on that because it is in-tune with itself just 1/2 step down from "normal". Not bad considerng that it sat in my parents un-temperture controlled garage for ~20 years.

And it's absolutely lovely to play.