TF2 loading errors

TimTim Southwest PA Icrontian
edited August 2009 in Team Fortress 2
I keep getting a windows failure screen when trying to play TF2. HL2.exe application error.

It says "The instruction at (whatever address) referenced memory at (whatever address). The memory could not be written.

Then it won't load the game.

How to fix it? Delete and reinstall TF2? What's the cause of this problem?:banghead:

Comments

• ThraxThrax 🐌 Austin, TX Icrontian
    edited July 2009
    Overheating or faulty memory.
  • TimTim Southwest PA Icrontian
    edited July 2009
    Sometimes it works and sometimes it doesn't. I'm sure the system is not overheating. I tried switching the memory sticks (Corsair XMS2 8500+) and that didn't help, I looked on the Valve website and tried adding the hl2.exe file to data execution prevention, that didn't help either.

I tried deleting TF2 last night and re-downloading it also. Didn't help.
  • lordbeanlordbean Ontario, Canada
    edited July 2009
    Make sure all drivers are up to date, run memtest for a period not less than 2 hours, run prime95 blend for a period not less than 2 hours. If both do not produce errors, then you're looking for a driver conflict and/or conflicting application - or on the off chance, a potentially problematic video card, in which case I suggest doing some stress testing with Furmark.

Listing detailed system specs may also help. I checked your profile but didn't see a PC listed.
    edited July 2009
    PC has an OCZ 700 watt power supply, E7300 dual core, 4 GB ram, XP Home SP2, IE6 (yeah, I know), and a 4870. Gigabyte EP45-DS3R motherboard.

I tried doing a full adaware scan, shutting down the comodo firewall, avg free, and gpu folding, but it still does it.

I checked the Valve site, and did one of their system checks by putting the XP SP2 CD in so it could make sure all the windows files were in place. They seemed to be.

This is very annoying. I don't play TF2 all that much, but sometimes it'll play fine and sometimes I get this warning over and over when trying to start it.
    edited July 2009
    XP SP2 with IE6?

I'd look into updating it if I were you. SP3 is just a collection of patches and bugfixes for SP2.

Also, I could be wrong, but isn't it a good idea to disable GPU folding anyway when playing a game? I notice when the GPU2 client is active on my system even vanilla windows tends to be a bit burpy in terms of responsiveness.
  • primesuspectprimesuspect Beepin n' Boopin Detroit, MI Icrontian
    edited July 2009
    Lol, you haven't met Tim yet.
    edited August 2009
    I fixed the problem, kind of.

After several complete uninstalls / reinstalls off of my desktop pc, including using the search function to find and delete every last steam / tf2 file, I loaded up steam and TF2 on my laptop computer.

HP DV6000 series, 2.0 Ghz AMD TL-60 dual core, Geforce 7200 graphics, 2 GB ram, and RC of 7, build 7100.

Now it works good again! :)
    edited August 2009
    That sounds like more of a workaround than a fix. ;)