2009.07.23 "Paper" discussion

BuddyJBuddyJ Dept. of PropagandaOKC Icrontian
edited July 2009 in Lifestyle
Nice photo Snark. Love the composition and you nailed the lighting.

Comments

• LINLIN Tri_State Area
    edited July 2009
    Like the Paper Man, $nark ;). Nice composition.
  • GHoosdumGHoosdum Icrontian
    edited July 2009
    On my monitor, mine looks incredibly washed out in color. I hacked my camera to shoot RAW, and this is as much color as I could get into the photo that resulted. The JPG version looked even worse, but the card itself is actually yellower than the resulting image. I don't know what the hell I'm doing.
  • shwaipshwaip bluffin' with my muffin Icrontian
    edited July 2009
    Could you maybe post the raw file? It might be interesting to look at in lightroom.
    edited July 2009
    shwaip wrote:
    Could you maybe post the raw file? It might be interesting to look at in lightroom.

I have nowhere to upload it to, otherwise I would do that.
  • RyderRyder Kalamazoo, Mi Icrontian
    edited July 2009
    Dropbox.. free and easy.. 2GB of space.

Get a referral link from myself, prime, and several others.. you both get 250MB of add'l space.
  • primesuspectprimesuspect Beepin n' Boopin Detroit, MI Icrontian
    edited July 2009
    Snark: AWESOME photo. Super creative, well executed. Perfect!

Pete: I love it because it completely brings back working at a newspaper. It has personal meaning to me, and I guess that's what art is for. Great photo!

Lynx: Cool shot. It's not "wowee!" cool, but it's a good photo.

LIN: Welcome to the project! That's an awesome first entry. Clever, and cute!

Rob: Things are getting way better, man. I don't know what kind of technical problems you're having with color, but you're obviously learning to compensate, cause this photo is looking really good.
    edited July 2009
    Thanks for the referral, Brian.

shwaip, here's the RAW:
    http://files.getdropbox.com/u/1604809/CRW_2093.CRW
  • shwaipshwaip bluffin' with my muffin Icrontian
    edited July 2009
    huh. I can't open it in lightroom or CS3, but it opens fine in picasa.
    edited July 2009
    It's from my Canon A630, so I'm betting it's not a supported camera in Lightroom and CS3. I opened it in Picasa to get the washed out view, and I got a plugin for Paint.NET that allows me to open it there but the entire thing is chroma shifted to yellow when I do that. The JPG colors were worse off than the RAW, so I just used Picasa to do what I did.
  • SnarkasmSnarkasm Madison, WI Icrontian
    edited July 2009
    BuddyPete - Nice shot, good angle. I think I (personally) would like to have seen more type on them, but that's mostly because I love old newspapers. Good shot.

Lynx - Very neat subject. I like the colors, and your DOF is good.

Lin - Very cute, and a nice aged feel to it. Cute kitty. :)

GH - Much better on the color correction. Composition is good as well.

I know this may not be worth it for you, but I color correct my monitors with a Huey hardware color correction tool. It's $90 via their site, but I got mine for $40 elsewhere once upon a time. If you can get in on that, it should really help out your overall computing experience, since color can affect so much besides just pictures.
  • LINLIN Tri_State Area
    edited July 2009
    Thanks, guys.. I didn't have much time & not anything great with which to work, but wanted to join in. I hope to do better. There are some really great shots in the Results thread for all the subjects.