2009.07.24 "Exercise" discussion

SnarkasmSnarkasm Madison, WI Icrontian
edited July 2009 in Lifestyle
There's only two of us at 10:45PM Central, but I'm makin' a thread anyway.

Like the picture, Pete. It seems a little old-timey, fuzzy, something. Almost overcast. Any chance that was on purpose?

From a technical standpoint, it's pretty bland; there's only one real color through the picture. Aside from that, composition is good. The angle is solid, and it drifts out of the frame.

Comments

• GHoosdumGHoosdum Icrontian
    edited July 2009
    Pete, is yours in black and white? Or is it my monitor again? I like the stack of weights idea, where was your subject? Do you own that much iron?

Snark, I like the intellectual exercise take on it. I was unfortunately not inspired by today's idea, so I got nothing. I like the direction you took it.

By the way, I don't know enough about what I'm doing in photography to give a critique on style or composition, so I don't comment very often... but I will say that subjectively I like both your photo ideas.
  • BuddyJBuddyJ Dept. of Propaganda OKC Icrontian
    edited July 2009
    Yeah, I greyscaled it. The brightness of my monitor here at home is leaving me rather disappointed with it. When I uploaded it at work, there seemed to be much more variance in the colors; here it loses contrast. :( Originally, the "10" weight had a nice almost-glow to it and stood out better as the focus. I'd love to have added some vignetting to it but I'm not sure how to with what I have. That's the one thing I miss from working with real film and enlargers.

Love your shot. A great take on the day's theme.
  • primesuspectprimesuspect Beepin n' Boopin Detroit, MI Icrontian
    edited July 2009
    I like both entries. Snark, yours was an awesome divergence from what was expected.