My 24 inch LCD is hissing at me

KometeKomete Member
edited July 2009 in Hardware
Hey all, my 24inch LCD is making a loud hissing noise that slowly goes away as it gets warmed up. The noise also varies with different colors displayed. Now I have heard electronic buzzing before with monitors but never this loud. It just started this too and seems to be getting louder every day. Is it dyeing on me?

Comments

• CycloniteCyclonite Tampa, Florida Icrontian
    edited July 2009
    I'd go with PS board. Could be alright, but if it's loud enough that you mention it, it's probably not going to be around too much longer. :(
  • Nate_LapTNate_LapT Ferndale MI. Icrontian
    edited July 2009
    yeah sounds like the inverter is going, my laptops backlight inverter just went recently, if it is still covered by the manufacture get it repaired immediately
  • KometeKomete Member
    edited July 2009
    Bummer. I have had it for 2 years so I'm not sure about warranty. Ah well, I guess it's time to look at some 28inch LCD's :)
  • KometeKomete Member
    edited July 2009
    Update! My monitor now fails to power on. It tries to if you unplug it then plug it back in but it just flickers and dies. Good news, it's still under warranty.

For the mean time I went up to best buy and bought a cheap acer 20 incher. I've needed to buy a second LCD for my cnc machine so that's where this one will end up after my 24inch lcd gets fixed. Only bad thing with the acer is there is one stuck pixel and on black screens you can see some back light bleading on the top and bottom. All in all, for 109 I can't complain.

Here is a link to the elcheapo lcd I got. Funny it's less at Best Buy than newegg. http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16824009158
  • KometeKomete Member
    edited July 2009
    One other thing, I don't know if it;s a 16:9 vs a 16:10 issue, but I actually felt more immersed in my game on the acer lcd (playing through prototype) than I did on my 24inch LCD. I didn't expect that. Weird...